Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4185-4226-9233-5237
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy
    The NES is not playing emulated versions of the arcade roms. In some cases they are pretty good ports, but I've played more than my share of arcade Galaga and can tell that the NES version is not quite the same game.
    Well what the **** are you looking for then?! Why don't you list these "differences". I for one do not thing arcade games are worth 5 dollars.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarke
    Well what the **** are you looking for then?! Why don't you list these "differences". I for one do not thing arcade games are worth 5 dollars.
    Sheesh, what's with the harsh reaction?
    The original message from ToddH mentioned he wanted to see authentic emulated arcade game for the virtual console. Someone else said that there are already a few. I responded by saying those are not the actual arcade versions but NES ports (some better than others).

As far as paying $5 goes, if both the NES version and arcade version were available, I would be more likely to buy the arcade version if I were to buy one at all.

As far as Galaga differences go, they are minor. I'm actually pretty impressed by the NES port, it's probably the closest you could get given the hardware. But there are some very slight differences in graphics, colors, and movements. A couple of the sound effects are not quite exact. Also the attract screen is the most notable difference, although since that's not really part of the gameplay itself, I don't mind. But my point was that it's not the authentic arcade version, but I wasn't complaining about it.

Member #
    Friends
    The nintendo Galaga is a prime example of a port that is not up to par, if you are a Galaga fan. The sound and overall movement is close but not as good as the arcade. And the major thing is that the nintendo version does not save the high score, which to me is the whole point of that game. Thats why the gamecube namco museum is GOLD. Galaga, Pacman, and more are on there too, and they are EXACT ports of the arcade.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by balsho
    The nintendo Galaga is a prime example of a port that is not up to par, if you are a Galaga fan. The sound and overall movement is close but not as good as the arcade. And the major thing is that the nintendo version does not save the high score, which to me is the whole point of that game. Thats why the gamecube namco museum is GOLD. Galaga, Pacman, and more are on there too, and they are EXACT ports of the arcade.
    I agree completely. I'm a Galaga nut, having spent a large part of the 80's feeding quarters into Galaga machines. I know almost every pattern. Nothing compares to playing the actual arcade rom. The NES version pales in comparison. It sounds like I should pick up the Namco Museum disc for the Gamecube if I want to play some of these games.

Member #
    Friends
    How about ninja turtles? xbox arcade got the arcade port but we are getting the NES version with the bonus levels. I would rather play the arcade version or have both as an option.
    my wii number is
    8314 4155 7406 0563

Member #
    Friends
    I would love it, and have been asking/hoping for years, if Nintendo would release a 'Nintendo Arcade Classics' comilation disc.

Everybody else has. The notable arcade games you can't play on a console are the Nintendo ones. Yeah, you can play the NES versions but it's not the same.

Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong 3 (kind of crappy but I'm talking about a compilation disc), Mario Bros., etc, would all be great.

I could deal with them being in VC form, too.

My guess: It isn't going to happen. I don't know why unless it's some weird deal where Atari still holds the rights to the home versions or something, but if it didn't happen on the GameCube, I don't see it happening on the Wii.

I can't be the only one who'd like to see these.

Ads