Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dream Cast?

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    The Wii can handle the DC. Hello! It's playing games like House of the Dead, Super Monkey Ball. Those are ports of DC games, almost direct ports. The GC could almost handle DC. The DC is very old, it came out before the PS2.

Member #
    Friends
    I sure hope so, because i would love to play some marvel vs capcom again :-)

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavenhawk
    I sure hope so, because i would love to play some marvel vs capcom again :-)
    Oh dear

Just because a company once held the rights to the gam dosnt mean that they still do
    A la Alien vs preadator arcade

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by sagema
    The Wii can handle the DC. Hello! It's playing games like House of the Dead, Super Monkey Ball. Those are ports of DC games, almost direct ports. The GC could almost handle DC. The DC is very old, it came out before the PS2.
    Porting is a VERY different thing that straight up emulation. Recompiling for a different target gives you actual machine code for that system. Sure there may be some loss of efficiency when you port something built for one system to another system due to system calls not having exact equivalents or those equivalents not behaving the same way but more or less you get code that's about as efficient as it was on the original platform.

Emulation requires taking the machine code built for another machine and running it on your native hardware. Without any sort of fancy trickery, that drastically reduces the efficiency of the emulated software since a conversion of some sort would have to happen at each instruction.

That doesn't mean I think the Wii can't emulate the Dreamcast. The MHZ argument is bunk since the PowerPC architecture tends to run more efficiently than any non-Core Intel processor and the Wii doesn't have a bloated OS, multi-process scheduling, or abstracting out different types of hardware to worry about. But it wouldn't be easy. With multi-platform programming getting easier and easier, it makes less sense to emulate when you have the source code.

M'bating to Z Suit Samus Atomheart's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by hal2814
    I doubt it. Most of the games from Sega consoles that are on the VC are Sega-creaed games. The vast majority of the Sega-built games worth saving from the Dreamcast was ported to the Gamecube. That being said, I'd love to get Power Stone and Power Stone 2 on the VC.
    Or Jet Grind Radio or Shenmue (what a FANTASTIC game...should have been a Nintendo game).

Anyway, like others have said, DC games won't work on the Wii due to the limited memory space on the Wii; one game alone would likely be more than the capacity of the Wii.

Member #
    Friends
    3156-1824-0023-3057
    no because the dreamcast was part of the GC, PS2 wars and they'd never incluse games like that

Spoiler Alert!

Thanks manred for the sweet avy.
    My SSBB code is 5284-1090-0218 name is DYXAN, please message me if I am ever added

Member #
    Friends
    Actually sega, never sold any rights to the dreamcast console. They are actually working on the "Ninja" project DC2 that should be released around 2010.

But yeah the emulator would take up too much resources on the wii. Considering that most of the game graphix from the dreamcast rival many newage consoles.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Swapmii
    They are actually working on the "Ninja" project DC2 that should be released around 2010.
    News to me. Source?
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    There's a bunch of unfounded rumor on a new Dreamcast based on this (straight from the patent and trademark office). It's a bit of a reach. Yeah, SEGA is re-trademarking Dreamcast but that could be for any number of reasons. They may just have realized their original (and still valid) trademark didn't cover everything they wanted it to. It might have something to do with their merger with Sammy (though that was a while ago). It may have to do with their still-active arcade business. Sega may be attempting to rehash the Dreamcast name as a line of games for current consoles. Maybe Sega is planning Dreamcast Flashback (a la Atari Flashback) or a compilation set. I seriously doubt there's a new console in the works with their game sales being as low as they are right now (not terrible but not great).

Ads