Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dream Cast?

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Dream Cast?

Any chance u think that nintendo will start having dream cast games on the VC?

Member #
    Friends
    I doubt it. Most of the games from Sega consoles that are on the VC are Sega-creaed games. The vast majority of the Sega-built games worth saving from the Dreamcast was ported to the Gamecube. That being said, I'd love to get Power Stone and Power Stone 2 on the VC.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Not without a hard-drive add-on they won't. Dreamcast games are just too big, as the media held up to 1.2GB, more than twice the Wii's total internal memory. I'm not sure the Wii has the horsepower to emulate the Dreamcast anyway... it was a very complex system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    I agree I don't think it has the horsepower

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    3881-9484-9041-5848
    I doubt it very much so.

There was a thread on here exploring and debunking the idea.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    deleted
    Last edited by dakuda; 01-08-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    The Wii has shown me little better graphics then the gamecube as of yet but I guess time will tell, I'd like to see it but as you stated space if MORE of a concern then anything

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by dakuda
    You seriously don't think that the Wii has enough processing power to run Dreamcast games?
    That's not what's being debated.

Let's straighten out the technical stuff here:

1) The Wii cannot play (directly) Dreamcast games because it is not a Dreamcast. It does not have Dreamcast circuitry/firmware/etc. The same as your PC can't natively play a Dreamcast game, as it isn't a Dreamcast either. It's a PC.

However, there's emulation, which is an extra layer of code. You get an emulator (which is written for whatever platform you are on) and it in-turn then runs the native code for the foreign platform. However, the emulation layer requires a lot of extra horsepower. So you need to be a lot MORE than a Dreamcast to emulate a Dreamcast. A lot more. Which leads us to...

2) The Wii most-likely does not have a sufficient amount of extra CPU power necessary to run an emulator which can then run Dreamcast games in playable realtime.

All the current Virtual Console games are emulator+game (and yes, you're getting a game-specific tweaked emulator with each game. 10 SNES games? 10 copies of the SNES emulator). So there's the issue of lacking the speed necessary to emulate a Dreamcast, plus the lacking the storage space for the huge games, which leads to a dead end.
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    Actually yes. They are relaunching games at $20 in compilation for the Wii. We can expect more of this in the future. As in the Wii playing DC games, Sega has shown no signs of making an emulator for DC games. Right now we are getting stuff like Resident Evil 4 Wii edition.

It's a real shame too, because DC's have a 5-10 year life span. Eventually your DC will die, so porting the CDs to the Wii would help a ton. It's all possible, but right now not something Sega is pursuing. It is something as simple as making an emulator, which would require somewhere around a 100kb-1mb download.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Actually, the size of the emulator can't be used as an accurate gauge of the required CPU horsepower necessary to run it (and the game) at realtime speed. Ridiculously-complex code can be written in a small amount of space.

Case in-point: Chankast, the Dreamcast emulator for the PC, requires a 1.4GHz machine with 256MB of RAM. Consider that the Wii only has a 729MHz CPU and 88MB RAM.

I don't think there's enough reserve CPU and RAM in the Wii above the Dreamcast's specs to handle the emulation layer.

Ads