LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Yeah, it seems the graphics and the price tag were too much for the time *cough* PS3 *uncough*

WiiChat Member CaliforniaBeachUSA's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Nice! And how about SPAWN & that fighters game where you and a partner fight evil but then have to fight each other? What was that called again?

Member #
    Friends
    personally, i loved saturn...
    i was kinda a late bloomer as far as video games, so it was my first system..

then my mom went to get it "fixed" and brought back a playstation..

needless to say i was pissed

..just figured id throw that in

Member #
    Friends
    2836-6898-4933-5432
    Quote Originally Posted by toggle
    Why did the dreamcast go bust anyway?
    The following two reasons are commonly refered to as the two most likely reasons for the Dreamcast flopping.

1 - The Sony Hype Machine - The amount of hype that Sony was putting out about the PS2 kinda overshaddowed the Dreamcast and most people decided to wait for the PS2

2 - Piracy. 99% of Dreamcasts can, with out being modded AT ALL, run CD-R's. This ment that all people had to do was burn the games onto a CD and pop it in their Dreamcast. This made a HUGE impact on SEGA because the profit they would have been getting from games sales was really low.

End of the day, after the failing of the Saturn and the Dreamcast SEGA realised that their strengths lay elsewhere, in software and arcade machines.
    SEGA are a world leader in Arcade machines. If you go down to you're local arcade and play some machines chances are you're playing SEGA machines.

If you want add me as a Wii Friend please PM me.

Member #
    Friends
    8708-0606-0103-6580
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabe
    The following two reasons are commonly refered to as the two most likely reasons for the Dreamcast flopping.

1 - The Sony Hype Machine - The amount of hype that Sony was putting out about the PS2 kinda overshaddowed the Dreamcast and most people decided to wait for the PS2

2 - Piracy. 99% of Dreamcasts can, with out being modded AT ALL, run CD-R's. This ment that all people had to do was burn the games onto a CD and pop it in their Dreamcast. This made a HUGE impact on SEGA because the profit they would have been getting from games sales was really low.

End of the day, after the failing of the Saturn and the Dreamcast SEGA realised that their strengths lay elsewhere, in software and arcade machines.
    SEGA are a world leader in Arcade machines. If you go down to you're local arcade and play some machines chances are you're playing SEGA machines.
    There are still arcades? Seriously, I haven't seen an arcade in years. I miss the days when everyone swarmed to the arcades to play SFII and MK.

Member #
    Friends
    Ah thats a huge shame,

I would love it if Sony gave another attempt at consoles but this time learning from their mistakes.

Sony for their time produces the most innovative and graphically enchanced consoles.

Im tempted to go out and buy a second hand dreamcast in my lunch break today.
    Shenmue was an awesome game, so was sonic adventures.

Only took 4 years to get1 MetroidZ's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabe

I didn't know that. Sony sucks! Although the ps2 was better than the dreamcast we never got to see the dreamcast's full potential. SEGA have themselves to blame too, such a mistake cost them big. I feel sorry for them, but I didn't really like most of their games.

Member #
    Friends

The life and times of the Dreamcast.

I would love it if dreamcast games came to the virtual console.

Why did the dreamcast go bust anyway? It was such an amazing console with great graphics; specially for its time. And remember the really cool little computer memory card thing you got which plugged into the controller.

I think I am salvivating over the prospect that Shenmue 1 and 2 will be coming to the Wii.
    The Dreamcast was the victim of hype. The looming specter of the PS2 significantly reduced the sales of the Dreamcast. Many consumers didn't want to buy the Dreamcast because Sony intelligently released specs and, info regarding the PS2 slightly before the Dreamcast launched. With DVD becoming an increasingly popular format, and the PS2 being the first console to have DVD support built-in swayed a lot of people into waiting for the PS2. This made a big impact on the longevity of the Dreamcast. DVD would eventually become the choice for developers, and consumers alike. Eventually piracy came into the scene and had some impact on increasing the life-span of the Dreamcast, but in the end the long history of bad timing with system launches along with inferior hardware in their consoles ended up being the final nail in the coffin for Sega's home hardware division. I'm a long time Sega fan and it saddened me deeply when they announced they would no longer be producing consoles. Sega still develops some of the most entertaining and innovative games for all systems, so there is light at the end of this tunnel!
    Last edited by JeritenX; 11-24-2006 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Grammer, etc, minor editing

Member #
    Friends
    The dreamcast was a really innovative console at the time. First console to do the internet properly straight out of the box for one thing (it wasnt great but did the job).

The VMU was another great little idea that they didnt do enough with.

But as said above the Playstation 2 basically just battered it to death with the all conquering Sony hype machine. Saying that pretty much every console since the PS2 up to the 360 has been battered by the PS2.

I miss SEGA consoles even if they did have an unhealthy obsession with producing needless peripherals all the time.

Member #
    Friends
    Ah thats a huge shame,

I would love it if Sony gave another attempt at consoles but this time learning from their mistakes.

Sony for their time produces the most innovative and graphically enchanced consoles.

Im tempted to go out and buy a second hand dreamcast in my lunch break today.
    Shenmue was an awesome game, so was sonic adventures.
    R U drunk or something? You must mean SEGA! not Sony since those bastads are pushing out the PS3 right now.
    Owner Of:
    Wii + 2xWiimote+nunchuk
    Classic Pad & Comp. Cables.
    TP, Wario, COD3, Play, Sports

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Ads