LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8273-4042-4006-4041
    it's a very interesting question. I doubt that it'll take place anytime soon. It may be possible someday, but I don't expect any sign of it atleast this year.
    wii are united, wii are one, wii will stand!

I'M BA-A-A-A-CK!

Register Me:
    Name: THE BEAR
    Number: 8273-4042-4006-4041

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    It's possible. But it would be in CD format only. Most DC games were larger than the entire Wii hard drive (I'm not calling it a flash drive). Since Nintendo is adding Neo Geo, Saturn and DC games are possible.

Otherwise Microsoft will do it. I hear they will get Castlevania SOTN for the 360. A PS1 game on the 360. Man Sony you messed up.

Member #
    Friends
    get on ebay and get one, they have some NIB for like 50 bucks. or if you buy a used one, you can get more controllers and games for the same price
    Step on my cubes!!!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabe
    SEGA didn't use a very efficient compression algorithm for the games so its perfectly possible to compress a Dreamcast game down to fit on a CD-R (700Mb). I know - I have a Dreamcast and compressed and burned games onto CD-Rs to play on my Dreamcast (Which, BTW, doesn't need to be modded in any way to play CD-R's O_O )
    it has nothing to do with compressin algorithm just most games didn't exceed 700mb and if they did the video was usually downgraded as well as the audio to fit on a 700mb cdr.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by sagema
    It's possible. But it would be in CD format only. Most DC games were larger than the entire Wii hard drive (I'm not calling it a flash drive). Since Nintendo is adding Neo Geo, Saturn and DC games are possible.

Otherwise Microsoft will do it. I hear they will get Castlevania SOTN for the 360. A PS1 game on the 360. Man Sony you messed up.
    Neo Geo are also cart games as well. Saturn and Dc are laser disk and also a generation up.the only way i see these games being emulated is if you have to insert an actual cd or use of an external hard drive. or if all game audio and FMV's where stripped. b/c most of the data in these games don't take much space its the in video and CDDA.neo geo games avg like 8 mb.

Member #
    Friends
    2836-6898-4933-5432
    Quote Originally Posted by bangulo
    it has nothing to do with compressin algorithm just most games didn't exceed 700mb
    A fair chunk of them do when you rip them off a GDROM. SEGA had 1.2Gb to play with so their was no need to compress games smaller than that. Therefore there are a good number of Dreamcast games that are bigger that 700Mb because of the compression algorithm. This means that you don't have to remove video or anything to make them smaller. All you do is compress them more efficiently and you can get most of them under 700Mb

Ikaruga is a game I play alot on the Dreamcast. It is around 850Mb and I managed to burn it onto a 700Mb CD-R no problem without removing anything.

Saturn and Dc are laser disk and also a generation up.
    Wrong on two counts. Saturn games are on CDROMs and Dreamcast games are on GDROMs. Neither of which is a laser disk.
    Also, only the Saturn is a Generation up. The Neo Geo console was a 4th Generation console (16 Bit consoles)
    The Saturn was 5th Gen (32/64 Bit consoles) and the Dreamcast was 6th Gen (128 bit consoles)

the only way i see these games being emulated is if you have to insert an actual cd or use of an external hard drive. or if all game audio and FMV's where stripped
    That makes no sense. Emulation is not just about fitting the stuff on a disc or HD. For the Wii to play Dreamcast games it would have to use Software emulation (The Wii doesn't have the Dreamcast chipset inside it).
    This means that the Wii processor has to emulate the Dreamcast hardware and Software emulation of hardware is NOT very efficient what-so-ever.
    It tends to be 2 Generations behind.
    This means that it could, in theory, be possible to emulate Saturn games but emulation of Dreamcast games is just not going to happen, at least not until quite late in the Wii's life when developers know how to fully take advantage of it and maybe not even then.

If you want add me as a Wii Friend please PM me.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabe
    A fair chunk of them do when you rip them off a GDROM. SEGA had 1.2Gb to play with so their was no need to compress games smaller than that. Therefore there are a good number of Dreamcast games that are bigger that 700Mb because of the compression algorithm. This means that you don't have to remove video or anything to make them smaller. All you do is compress them more efficiently and you can get most of them under 700Mb

Ikaruga is a game I play alot on the Dreamcast. It is around 850Mb and I managed to burn it onto a 700Mb CD-R no problem without removing anything.

Wrong on two counts. Saturn games are on CDROMs and Dreamcast games are on GDROMs. Neither of which is a laser disk.
    Also, only the Saturn is a Generation up. The Neo Geo console was a 4th Generation console (16 Bit consoles)
    The Saturn was 5th Gen (32/64 Bit consoles) and the Dreamcast was 6th Gen (128 bit consoles)

That makes no sense. Emulation is not just about fitting the stuff on a disc or HD. For the Wii to play Dreamcast games it would have to use Software emulation (The Wii doesn't have the Dreamcast chipset inside it).
    This means that the Wii processor has to emulate the Dreamcast hardware and Software emulation of hardware is NOT very efficient what-so-ever.
    It tends to be 2 Generations behind.
    This means that it could, in theory, be possible to emulate Saturn games but emulation of Dreamcast games is just not going to happen, at least not until quite late in the Wii's life when developers know how to fully take advantage of it and maybe not even then.
    I know sega saturn games are cd rom and dreamcast are GD i was say laser disk meaning an optical medium. ill correct my self laser disk technology was used in games like dragons lair.

also i am not sure if the IBM processor is a risc proscessor or not but that would help emulate it

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by sagema

Neo-Geo used cartridges, you're thinking of Neo-Geo CD....

So you can't exactly use that as proof DC and Saturn games can work.

Member #
    Friends
    0730-7415-8861-4818
    quake and chu chu rocket.....that would rock.

sadly, it's unlikely...

Member #
    Friends
    0505-6993-9515-7982
    i loved my dreamcast still have it to
    Steam ID: Mintoisking
    Xbox live GT: Sir Minto
    PSN ID: Mintoisgod

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Ads