Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2836-6898-4933-5432
    Quote Originally Posted by bangulo
    also i am not sure if the IBM processor is a risc proscessor or not but that would help emulate it
    It is a RISC processor as are most consoles and a RISC processor wouldn't really be much of a help for emulation due to the lack of commands.
    A games console can be RISC because its doesn't need to be compatible with older games and stuff.
    PC's are CISC because you want a game you bought a year ago to continue working on your modern PC. As such most processors in PC's will have the instruction set from processors dating back to the 80's.

RISC processors will not have a large selection of commands and so for it to emulate a DC game through hardware they would need to Microprogram Dreamcast instructions directly onto the chip.

If you want an efficient chip that can run things designed for multiple systems then you would not make it a RISC processor, you would make it CISC.

If you want add me as a Wii Friend please PM me.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabe
    It is a RISC processor as are most consoles and a RISC processor wouldn't really be much of a help for emulation due to the lack of commands.
    A games console can be RISC because its doesn't need to be compatible with older games and stuff.
    PC's are CISC because you want a game you bought a year ago to continue working on your modern PC. As such most processors in PC's will have the instruction set from processors dating back to the 80's.

RISC processors will not have a large selection of commands and so for it to emulate a DC game through hardware they would need to Microprogram Dreamcast instructions directly onto the chip.

If you want an efficient chip that can run things designed for multiple systems then you would not make it a RISC processor, you would make it CISC.
    Nice info thanks

...yea... My god the Wii owns...'s Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Actually, that's not all. The Dreamcast was neither in the PS2 generation nor the PSOne/N64 generation. It was kind of in between, so people either had what they wanted or wanted to wait for the next-gen.

Member #
    Friends
    6390-2874-0535-4544
    Yes please.
    and soon hopefully.

Well do you?

Member #
    Friends
    2291-3059-0957-1397
    You would need to install a laser reading head that could read CD's to do that.
    The Saturn was pretty much a failure so I doubt they will have an VC Saturn games due to low demand (BTW, I have a Saturn)
    The laser reading head used to play GCN games and Wii games is, as far as I know the same laser reading head found in all other CD players and game consoles, the only difference with the Wii's reading laser is the way it is controlled, the discs are read from the outside in, unlike an average CD DVD that reads from the inside out, that is to stop piracy by making it unreadable by a computer's CD/DVD-ROM drive (I tried it out myself, dosen't work), so, as far as I know, the Wii's software tells the Wii only to run in reverse to play Nintendo certified media, so, all nintendo needs to do to run sega games that run on CD, is make a system update (the thing the Wii does after the connection test), that lets the Wii read standard discs, with that update, they can add an emulator for SEGA games in the disc channel, so where you see 2 virtual discs spinning now, there would be 4 virtual discs spinning, one for each individual disc that has the possibility to work in it, this will also open up the possibilities to play Audio CDs on the Wii, that maybe even how the DVD idea for next year model came up, but who cares about a Wii that plays DVDs?

No spamming referral links - Further attempts at advertising will not be tolerated. kthx

If you know anything about LEDs please put input, click on the link beliw, I can really use the help
    http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...tml#post149729

Member #
    Friends
    2836-6898-4933-5432
    Quote Originally Posted by gamechaser001
    The laser reading head used to play GCN games and Wii games is, as far as I know the same laser reading head found in all other CD players and game consoles
    um... CD's, DVD's etc don't have the same reading heads. The reason a DVD has more storage capacity than a CD is because the laser used to read the disks is, to put it simply, a lot thinner.
    A CD or DVD is just like a record. It has a groves which have bumps and dips which tells the PC if it is reading a 1 or a 0.
    If you try read a DVD with a CD reading head it simply will not work.

Member #
    Friends
    2836-6898-4933-5432
    Quote Originally Posted by My god the Wii owns...
    Actually, that's not all. The Dreamcast was neither in the PS2 generation nor the PSOne/N64 generation. It was kind of in between, so people either had what they wanted or wanted to wait for the next-gen.
    The Dreamcast IS a 6th gen (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube and Dreamcast) console.
    It was the first of the 6th gen consoles to be released and had a 2 year head start over the PS2 and roughly a 4 year start over the GC or Xbox.
    The reason its in the same generation as the PS2 etc is because it has a 128 bit processor as do the PS2, the Xbox and the Gamecube.

Member #
    Friends
    2291-3059-0957-1397
    um... CD's, DVD's etc don't have the same reading heads. The reason a DVD has more storage capacity than a CD is because the laser used to read the disks is, to put it simply, a lot thinner.
    A CD or DVD is just like a record. It has a groves which have bumps and dips which tells the PC if it is reading a 1 or a 0.
    If you try read a DVD with a CD reading head it simply will not work.
    Ok, maybe I worded it wrong, yes, a DVD laser head is, like you said, a lot thinner, that same laser can read CDs as well, (I know this for a fact being I own devices that can run both but only have a DVD laser), but, as we both know, not vice versa, so anyways, yes, I know

Now, what I meant to say is, the Wii has a normal CD reading head, meaning software can make it read CDs, what I meant to say though is, in the next Wii that will have DVD playback, the Wii will have a DVD laser upgrade, but it still needs the software to allow it to read normally, not backwards like Nintendo disc media, the SEGA discs are just a high density 3 data track CD that holds more by spinning at a slower speed (however that works), all I am saying is all we need is a software update to allow the reading of SEGA's disc media, and a way to emulate the hardware, question is, will Nintendo ever do it? I highly doubt it

No spamming referral links - Further attempts at advertising will not be tolerated. kthx

If you know anything about LEDs please put input, click on the link beliw, I can really use the help
    http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...tml#post149729

Member #
    Friends
    any1 no the dreamcast game powerstone (1 or 2) (2 better)
    they would be gr8 coz there fun

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by gamechaser001
    Now, what I meant to say is, the Wii has a normal CD reading head, meaning software can make it read CDs, what I meant to say though is, in the next Wii that will have DVD playback, the Wii will have a DVD laser upgrade, but it still needs the software to allow it to read normally, not backwards like Nintendo disc media
    The wii DOES have a dvd drive in it. Ask anyone with a wiikey modchip and a dvd burner....

Wii discs are single layer DVD discs, simple as that. It's up the DVD drive to determine if the disc is a valid wii disc or not, and report that back to the wii system.

Ads