LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4857-5695-0490-5844
    Its because the VC games run at different refresh rates on the screen I believe, IGN AU put a post about this on their website with the refresh rates being a bit different and whatnot. I'm not sure if this is the exact reason, but its something to keep in mind.

Other than that, your best bet is to call Nintendo on this.
    Start making use of the Reputation system!!!

click the scale icon under usernames (next to online/offline status) in post to give or take rep points for good or bad posts!

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...sive-info.html
    Mario Kart Friend Code: 536957-637076

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    FOUND A FIX!

I found and purchased a component cable today. Hooked it up, changed the setting on the Wii to 480p, and at first it didn't seem to work. I tried changing the aspect ratio on the tv and Wii in every combination and was about to give up when I got it to work!

Here's the trick (at least for me).
    1. Hook up component cables
    2. Change setting on the Wii to 480p
    3. Start the virtual console game (it will be blank at first)
    4. Hit the home button to pull up the Wii menu options over the top of the game screen (you'll see the game screen in the background).
    5. Hit the continue button at the top right. When the menu goes away, the game will stay!

I had to go through steps 3-5 any time I started a virtual game, but it works every time! So hopefully there's a firmware fix for this down the road, but for now I can at least play.

Member #
    Friends
    4857-5695-0490-5844
    Quote Originally Posted by tivogirl
    FOUND A FIX!

I found and purchased a component cable today. Hooked it up, changed the setting on the Wii to 480p, and at first it didn't seem to work. I tried changing the aspect ratio on the tv and Wii in every combination and was about to give up when I got it to work!

Here's the trick (at least for me).
    1. Hook up component cables
    2. Change setting on the Wii to 480p
    3. Start the virtual console game (it will be blank at first)
    4. Hit the home button to pull up the Wii menu options over the top of the game screen (you'll see the game screen in the background).
    5. Hit the continue button at the top right. When the menu goes away, the game will stay!

I had to go through steps 3-5 any time I started a virtual game, but it works every time! So hopefully there's a firmware fix for this down the road, but for now I can at least play.
    Have you tried these same steps without the component cables? Just to see if the cables matter or not.

click the scale icon under usernames (next to online/offline status) in post to give or take rep points for good or bad posts!

Member #
    Friends
    Yes - good point and thanks for asking. We did try switching the cables back and this process does NOT work with composite cables. I was pretty sure I had gone to the menu and back to the game before, but just to check I did swap cables back. It definitely requires the component. Now it might also work with s-video - didn't try that.

Member #
    Friends
    4857-5695-0490-5844
    Yes - good point and thanks for asking. We did try switching the cables back and this process does NOT work with composite cables. I was pretty sure I had gone to the menu and back to the game before, but just to check I did swap cables back. It definitely requires the component. Now it might also work with s-video - didn't try that.
    Thanks for testing that out! . So far its known that you must have component for it.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by xbandaidx
    Its because the VC games run at different refresh rates on the screen I believe, IGN AU put a post about this on their website with the refresh rates being a bit different and whatnot. I'm not sure if this is the exact reason, but its something to keep in mind.

Other than that, your best bet is to call Nintendo on this.
    I have called twice and emailed twice. No response after the initial conversation with a tech guy who said someone would call me back. I am a little ticked off since I am out the cost of 4 games. The fact that Nintendo should have know there would be a huge number of people out their with plasma and LCD screens, they should have tested all of their product before selling it or put out a warning, these games won't work with LCD or Plasma.

Now they have done a recall on their wrist straps, maybe they will do something to fix or return money for this.

Member #
    Friends
    I haven't received any response to my ticket either. My suspicion is this is a widespread problem (moreso than the overhyped "injuries") and they're trying to figure out how to deal with it.

Member #
    Friends

Virtual Console/Component Cable Problem

Same here. I have component cables running 480p on my 26" HD LCD TV and virtual console games become unplayable after hitting the home key.

I went back to the composite cables and everything worked fine but I don't want to change cables and settings everytime... Plus I'd have to unplug something else everytime I wanted to change cables.

I've written to the big N but I'm not expecting to hear back

The main reason I got the Wii was for the virtual console.

Member #
    Friends
    I haven't received any response to my ticket either. My suspicion is this is a widespread problem (moreso than the over hyped "injuries") and they're trying to figure out how to deal with it.
    I finally got a call from Nintendo today. The bottom line was, "thats too bad" we haven't really heard it to be much of a problem. they suggested taking it to another tv and use on that one. I explained the game was my son's and we wanted to play it on his set and not move have to unplug all the cords, take it apart and move it to another room to play VC games. I told him about this board and the fact that it was not an Isolated incident. Oh, by the way, they were responding to my third email I sent that threatened going to the press or CNET with the problem

So when they couldn't help fix it other than also suggest I bring a vcr down to run it thru, I asked for a refund on the 5 games I had purchased and couldn't play. After a while on hold he came back and made me an offer. "Buy an extra sensor bar for $10.00 and they would give me a free A/C adapter. (I had told him I was waiting for component cables I had already ordered). His idea was to have the existing cables, the extra sensor bar and A/C adaptor setup on the other TV. Then, I would only have to move the unit from place to place without draging all the cables. I went for it. He also gave me $5.00 overnight shipping. It wasn't a fix, but I thought at least it was a reasonable attempt to make a consumer happy. Maybe it will work when the component cables will show up, but if it does, it will still be nice to be able to bring the Wii upstairs to the big Widescreen when we feel like playing there without moving the cables.

BTW, the forecast channel Global feature is pretty neat, kinda a minnie google earth.

Member #
    Friends
    2783-8719-1866-4201
    I've downloaded "Gunstar Heroes" off the "Wii Shop Channel" and I've had no problems playing it so far.

-=Join The Waluigi Fan Club=-
    --- Wii Friend Code: 2783-8719-1866-4201 ---
    --- MoH:H2 Persona: shrimpy20 ---
    --- Want more info? PM me! ---
    --- http://www.hellzoneclan.org ---

Ads