Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Console

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Virtual Console

Sorry if this has been asked, but it seems like I saw somewhere that you have to purchase the virtual console ability in addition to the games. Is this true?

Also, you won't be able to download GC games right? you've got to have the actual discs?

Thx

Member #
    Friends
    you dont need to buy the virtual device and Nintendo is still debating on making Gamecube games downloadable.

Member #
    Friends
    maybe I should just start buying GC games...

Member #
    Friends
    6980-3796-3948-8393
    I don't think GC games are going to be downloaded at the beginning because What nintendo will do with all the cds of GC that are not sold already??? I think they will start downloading games but when they discontinue the GC cds

Name: Juan
    FC: 4253 0727 5993

No Asking For Rep

Wii online moderator registerednerd's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    No, you don't have to buy the capablilty to do VC, but you will have to buy games for it; and I highly doubt there will be GCN games on VC since the Wii will play the discs
    ... but what do I know?...
    Not currently accepting friend adds.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by registerednerd
    No, you don't have to buy the capablilty to do VC, but you will have to buy games for it; and I highly doubt there will be GCN games on VC since the Wii will play the discs

True, but let's just hope they come up with some way to include Gamecube games on the Virtual Console though I highly doubt that would happen due to Gamecube games being very big to download.

Point being, I'd rather have a Gamecube library orginized within the Virtual Console than to have Gamecube discs that would wear and tear.

Member #
    Friends
    4727-8101-2072-3014
    But they are going to keep on making Gamecube games for a bit arent they? So then if you were able to buy them via the VC then they would be more pricey than the other VC games you can download.

Characters wanted for SSBB : King K.Rool, Lucario, Bubsy, Captain Olimar and Waluigi
    Clippers -- Buccaneers -- Ducks -- Devil Rays

Member #
    Friends
    hey

I very much doubt you will beable to download GameCube games. Firstly GameCube games are much much larger in size than any of the Virtual Consoles, so where/how could they be stored in a practical manner?

I think the N64 games are the largest in size of all the supported Virtual Consoles, and I think they basically range from around 64Mbit to 256Mbit (8MB to 32MB). Well there maybe some larger outliers, such as Resident Evil 2, which I think used a 512Mbit (64MB) cartridge. Note, that games may be smaller as they may not have used up the entire cartridge storage space. Also, I would think it is quite possible that they will be compressed for the Virtual Console, making them even smaller .

Secondly, I think you should remember it's called a Virtual Console . This being that each console is emulated through software. The GameCube games won't be emulated, but rather they will be executed directly through the Wii's hardware.

edit
    Sorry, I just realised I stated the N64 cartridge/ROM sizes wrong :\. Just got confused with Mbit and MB, anyhows it's fixed now .

cyas
    Last edited by yosh64; 09-10-2006 at 05:44 AM. Reason: fixed error

Member #
    Friends
    0287-9971-6660-4138
    Quote Originally Posted by yosh64
    hey

I very much doubt you will beable to download GameCube games. Firstly GameCube games are much much larger in size than any of the Virtual Consoles, so where/how could they be stored in a practical manner?

I think the N64 games are the largest in size of all the supported Virtual Consoles, and I think they basically range from around 8Mbit to 32Mbit (please don't get confused with MB/MByte). Well there maybe some larger outliers, such as Resident Evil 2, which I think used a 64Mbit cartridge. Note, that games may be smaller as they may not have used up the entire cartridge storage space. Also, I would think it is quite possible that they will be compressed for the Virtual Console, making them even smaller .

Secondly, I think you should remember it's called a Virtual Console . This being that each console is emulated through software. The GameCube games won't be emulated, but rather they will be executed directly through the Wii's hardware.

cyas
    Yeah totally agree wit u mate, GCN games are like up to 1.7gig i think and the wii's flash drive has only got 512mb!!! So i seriously doubt there will be GCN games for the virtual console. The only way people would be able to download it would be if they had mass storage devices.

Member #
    Friends
    4727-8101-2072-3014
    No I still do not think they would put Gamecube games for the VC. Because as m7ticalm said wii only has 512mb while Gamecube games are like 1.4gig

Characters wanted for SSBB : King K.Rool, Lucario, Bubsy, Captain Olimar and Waluigi
    Clippers -- Buccaneers -- Ducks -- Devil Rays

Ads