Ok so I pretty much played every wiiware title now, most of them were garbage so quickly sifted through them.. Im not a fan of puzzle games so if you are you may like titles like Dr Mario and Tetris Party, but they werent for me. I am a 2d platformer man through and through, but I love other genres of game too (adventure games and some shoot-em-ups & racing games for example)
Anyway to cut to the chase here are the very best Wiiware Games..
- I thought the diffulty level in this would p*ss me off a treat but it doesnt, its fantastic and highly addictive. Not for the faint hearted, this is hardcore platforming.
- A Shameless Mario Galaxy clone but I prefer this as I hated the spinning, upside down annoyance of Mario's levels.
- A great update to the classic, I was going to leave it out due to there being no saving game, but theres an easy level select code (up to where you have got to)
- great horizontal shmup, does what it says on the tin.
Art of Balance
- A really good puzzler where you pile a set amount of items without them falling over, addictive and relaxing (kind of) - also 2 player vs mode
Zombie Panic in Wonderland
- Great 'Cabal' style game, great fun and has 2 player co-op! Get this!
High Voltage Hot Rod Show
- random one, but a great fun racing game, a cross between RC Pro AM (NES) and Micro Machines - give it a shot
Megaman 9 & 10
- If you like the original NES games (as I do) then these are a must
NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
- Great platformer where you can manipulate background objects as well as controlling the main character
Dive The Medes Island's Secrets
- Laid back 2d exploration game where you guide your diver around underwater caverns looking for treasure, good fun to play and thereare secrets and upgrades for those who like a bit of meat of their gaming bones!
- SImple and fun old skool 2d racer that is enjoyable with multiple players.
Games that were spoilt by minor issues or were not just to my particular tastes:
Bubble Bobble Plus
- now there is nothing fundamentally wrong with this but Bub & BOb and the enemies look awful, why did they change the cute graphics into these horrible render pseudo 3d horrors? It is Bubble Bobble per say, but it's better to play the arcade original on MAME if you have that to hand.
I couldn't recommend this, despite its popularity, as I just dont like it, I just never got into it. The annoying small graphics and pointless story irritated me. But if you enjoy exploration platformers give it a try, you may enjoy it.
- Was never a huge bomberman fan, but used to enjoy some of the older titles in small doses. Played this multiplayer and just found it a manic pain in the ass to play. Maybe with 2 or 4 players it would be less chaotic and therefore more fun. Give it a try and see.
- I also didn't rate this very much either, I just didn't enjoy waggling the remote around to move my character using the wind, not my bag at all. Much like I Disliked 'A Boy & His Blob' and A Shadow's Tale.. Just fiddly platformers that are slow paced and ruined by gimmicks that make the game dull to play.
Also World of Goo
is highly praised but I found that boring too, I much prefered the above-mentioned Art of Balance..
Games that should have been good but SUCK BALLS:
Adventure Island the Beginning
- I LOVE the original 3 NES games but this was trash, horrible graphics, annoying music, and just feels wrong . AVOID like the plague.
Rainbow Islands : Towering Adventure
- Awful Awful Awful .. an absolute abomination. What were they thinking???
- Loved the Snes Contra 3, but hated this, just seemed empty, and while its hard as f*ck the levels are very short, disappointing
- Metroidvania I heard.. No map you say?, sluggish, boring, and frustrating I say.. yes
Pearl Harbor - Episode 1: Red Sun Rising
- thought this would be great fun but you cant do a roll in the air and so the enemies always seem to remain behind you and out of shot, a wasted opportunity.
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I
- Now Im no fan of Sonic but I kind of enjoyed the first one on MD, this game is ruined by the awful sonic physics, why is he so sluggish??
Blaster Master Overdrive
- Now I know some people will disagree on this one but I really liked the NES original and so was looking forward to this, but it was a huge disappointed, the 'updated' music sounded naff and the level design was poor. Another Disappointment.
so there you go, a proper 2d retro fan's guide to wiiware, most of it is cr*p so chose the above and you will be alright.. Oh and just go out and get Donkey Kong Country Returns as it is the best game since the SNES one!!!