LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by tivogirl
    I'm using a Philips 42" LCD that we've owned just over a year. It's connected to a very high end a/v receiver via HDMI cable. All of our components go through the a/v receiver except the dvd player. The Wii is connected via the a/v receiver using its supplied rca cables.

We downloaded Donkey Kong and SNES Zelda and are having the SAME exact problem you describe! I've tried toggling the aspect ratio settings on the console, the tv and both in every combination but no dice. No setting changes on either end fix the issue.

I was considering running some rca or component cables straight to the tv's side input to see if that would fix it (figured the problem was the HDMI cable), but it sounds like you've got yours connected directly using non-HD cables.

I did submit a ticket to Nintendo about this today, so hopefully they'll come up with a fix. If anyone has any success, please post!

Thank you so much for validating my problem. I called Nintendo yesterday and spoke with one tech guy. He was going to have someone else call back higher up the chain. They haven't yet. Keep me posted if you hear anything.

What do you mean "submit a ticket"?

Member #
    Friends
    6188-0435-3585-1038
    Well we have 2 folks here with the same problem, I'm sure there are many more people out there that have contacted Nintendo so I'm sure they are aware of the problem. My guess is its a format compatibility issue. Seeing as HD LCD's use fairly new technology and those VC games were usually played on CRT TV's. It prolly has something to do with refresh rates, lines of resolution, interlace scanning or NTSC/PAL modes.
    --Xbox 360
    --Wii
    --PS3
    --Game Whore

Member #
    Friends
    "Submit a ticket" in tech support terms means that I've opened an incident in their system. I've officially submitted the problem as a known issue and, theoretically, that means it beings its climb up the chain to solving it. It's documented.

I did read over on another thread that one guy had some success with using the just-released component cables and switching the Wii to 480p. Makes sense, as then everything up the line is digital. I'm going on a quest today to see if anyone here has the component cables yet and will report back.

Member #
    Friends
    FOUND A FIX!

I found and purchased a component cable today. Hooked it up, changed the setting on the Wii to 480p, and at first it didn't seem to work. I tried changing the aspect ratio on the tv and Wii in every combination and was about to give up when I got it to work!

Here's the trick (at least for me).
    1. Hook up component cables
    2. Change setting on the Wii to 480p
    3. Start the virtual console game (it will be blank at first)
    4. Hit the home button to pull up the Wii menu options over the top of the game screen (you'll see the game screen in the background).
    5. Hit the continue button at the top right. When the menu goes away, the game will stay!

I had to go through steps 3-5 any time I started a virtual game, but it works every time! So hopefully there's a firmware fix for this down the road, but for now I can at least play.

Member #
    Friends
    4857-5695-0490-5844
    Awesome post! Hopefully it works for everyone else.

Good props, gave you some rep points for that!
    Start making use of the Reputation system!!!

click the scale icon under usernames (next to online/offline status) in post to give or take rep points for good or bad posts!

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-...sive-info.html
    Mario Kart Friend Code: 536957-637076

Member #
    Friends
    i just tried this on sonic and sadly it didnt work, im a bit miffed about this, but alas theres nothing that can be done as yet. i will be ringing nintendo in the morning!!

aaron

Member #
    Friends

Component cables work

Quote Originally Posted by aaronbekir
    i just tried this on sonic and sadly it didnt work, im a bit miffed about this, but alas theres nothing that can be done as yet. i will be ringing nintendo in the morning!!
    aaron
    I got my component cables last week. I hooked them up and wallah, they worked immediately the first time for all games. Nintendo sold me a sensor bar for 10 and threw in an AC adaptor for free before I had the fix so I could easily be set up on another set. Now I have the original cables and new a/c and sensor upstairs on the big screen and only have to unplug cables to move the Wii. Sweet.

Member #
    Friends
    Same issue with my projector. I know the component works but I do not what to run another cable up to my projector. I think Nintendo needs to fix this.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by masanz1
    Same issue with my projector. I know the component works but I do not what to run another cable up to my projector. I think Nintendo needs to fix this.
    It will only be one set of cables. You use the component for everything. Just switch them out.

WiiChat Member SixStringedStress's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Westinghouse makes some junk TVs, avoid buying them. They are cheap for a reason. I work in the home theater department for a large electronics retailer (I won't mention it but you can probably guess).

Ads