Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2970-8339-9250-7065
    it is kiddie...

Member #
    Friends
    a game that is childish. Some people say kiddie because of the game looks or game play. Mostly anygame that does not involve cold blooded killing, drugs,fighting and sex are kiddie to people. Any game that doesn't look like a human would count as kiddie also.

Member #
    Friends
    4883-9225-1818-3903
    I have a theory, that because of Americas major obsession with guns, that some kind of gun is almost a predicate for a game to be 'mature', now this isn't the case with all the games (no one would say mortal kombat is for kiddies) but just take a look at some of the more popular non wii games: Rainbow six las vegas, gears of war, resistance: fall of man, halo 2, halo 3 [soon] any of the grand theft autos. All of these games selling amazingly well in America and are all linked by guns now as soon as you have a boy in green , in a game with the word princess in the title , everyone is like 'oh yeah its a game for little girls' regardless of how many lizard men you impale.(only a theory though)

Overall though, people won't usually admit it, but grown adults play pokemon games and similar games, who cares what the rating on the side is, as long as it is enjoyable.
    Post is there ^^^
    How dare you state a different point of view, you complete fanboy! /sarcasm

Member #
    Friends
    what ?

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagel
    I have a theory, that because of Americas major obsession with guns, that some kind of gun is almost a predicate for a game to be 'mature', now this isn't the case with all the games (no one would say mortal kombat is for kiddies) but just take a look at some of the more popular non wii games: Rainbow six las vegas, gears of war, resistance: fall of man, halo 2, halo 3 [soon] any of the grand theft autos. All of these games selling amazingly well in America and are all linked by guns now as soon as you have a boy in green , in a game with the word princess in the title , everyone is like 'oh yeah its a game for little girls' regardless of how many lizard men you impale.(only a theory though)

Overall though, people won't usually admit it, but grown adults play pokemon games and similar games, who cares what the rating on the side is, as long as it is enjoyable.
    Flagel you are so right. Once the game is fun to me, i'll play it. I don't have to see blood to call a game fun. I'm a versatile gamer, I'll play many types as long as its entertaining. But some people is make same like if your not playing killing games, your not a gamer. Its just stupid of some people. I feel like, if you don't play it, don't talk about it. Then people are complaining about the wii, dats not for adults, who is going to buy that. The people who complain about the wii are lazy.

Member #
    Friends
    Hotpotato78, I think you took my post outta context I was not bashing Nintendo I was just trying to make a point that Nintendo does not focus on certain age groups like the others do, they release I would say a equal amount for each age group. They are more of a equal oppertunity console, where as MS and Sony have a majority of their games geared at higher age groups. Sure the one game a year thing may have been stretched but it was there for example not really fact, I guess I should have stated that.

All in all I was trying to say Nintendo is not a kiddie console its an every age console.

Member #
    Friends
    oh ok. Thats why i said define what you mean by kiddie. but everything cool. Well sorry i took you out of context. But your right, they don't focus on a certain age group. My bad, i just read your post over and i can't see how i misunderstood that, i must be was hungry lol. But its cool tho. You know what happen, I was mainly answeringto the first line in your quote. Because even if that was 20years ago, the whole world still played it and was loving it. But yeah i see what you 2nd paragraph was meaning. For some reason i didnt even get to read your third paragraph. But i can't wait fro the wii to fully bloom.
    Last edited by hotpotato78; 02-21-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    6825-6610-9310-1313

Kidulthood...

Personally I would define Adult as: depth of understanding needed to appreciate the scenario being interacted with...i.e.:
    I wouldn't take Wii Zelda as a kiddie or minor storyline, just purely because of the look of it but it's the depth of play involved and in the way you interact socially / emotionally within that world!
    It can be at varying levels - although you can probably just fly through it by flicking remote / buttons: BUT: is this what the designers actually intended, of course not!
    The work which goes into these titles define what depth of understanding you need to get what the designer intended originally. No swearing, no blood etc..

Another example is Mortal Combat - blood and gore, adult rating but that's where the 'mature' content ends[imho] - the designer has created no social conscience or interaction on a personal level to deem it any deeper than a straight fighter.

Kiddie content is based on the nature of obvious content, when the content involves adult "actions" - sex, violence, scenes of a graphic nature, drug references, lanugage etc etc it's no longer deemed appropriate for a certain age group. This make things fairly B&W for censors, I would image anyway.

Nintendo could be construed as a kiddie provider but there is much more depth to these so called titles, usually manifested as gameplay / playability. Childlike graphics are only spit shine with which a "book by its cover" assumption is made on.
    A majority of Nintendo GC titles carried emotional content and not neccessarily realistic violence as is: The two titles in my collection which spring to mind (both 3+)
    • 1: Luigis Mansion:- dealing with the occult related kidnapping of his brother - Luigi sets out to exterminate spirits in a creaky old mansion....
    • 2: Star Wars (Rogue Leader RSII):- You must defeat the evil hoarde of brainwashed troops who are threatening the very existence of mankind! You are on a mission to kill all who assimilate with this evil doctrine (cult anyone?)

And we could all say - well how would a 3 year old understand that etc....purely an interpretation on a theme, that's all.

Of course this doesn't always ring true but as a rule of thumb this is how I would interpretate it imho.

Nintendo are currently trying to drag all and sundry onto the gaming plataeu of Wii - Kiddie staus isn't doing them much harm;I'm sure; they ain't losing any sleep or Yen over this perception...after all, as Corey has mentioned in another post - word of mouth and instant gratification drags one & all in to play...More sales anyone!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MysticGohan
    you read all that...i read 1/3 of that and said enough i cant read this anymore...[*cut]
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Foot
    That was insanely long.
    I guess you guys don't read books over 1 page long then...
    ---Smithy...
    "This IS the difference over the other systems....graphics can make you believe you're there to some extent but motion gesture can make you believe you're doing it!"

PSWII60=Ownage :D Nintendofan1990's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Ahem:
    [MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1NpETtoGQ8[/MEDIA]
    I hope you idiots learned your lesson,
    Kiddie:Elmo,Dora,Winnie the pooh. THATS KIDDIE!!
    Last edited by Nintendofan1990; 04-01-2007 at 06:18 AM.

PSWII60 FTW!

Member #
    Friends
    I'm am soooooo sick of people calling Nintendo kiddie!

I agree with hotpotado87. Just because a game doesn't have blood, violence, or sex doesn't mean it is kiddie.

people are so stupid thinking that Nintendo is kiddie.

Ads