Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    WiiChat Feature Writer James Temperton's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Wii Online - What A Letdown

With the GameCube having a shambolic online ‘service’ Nintendo promised big things for the DS and even more so with the Wii. So far, they have failed to live up to the hype, so just what is going on?

When Nintendo rolled out the Wi-Fi Connection for the DS a couple of years back everyone hailed it as the second coming of the messiah. It was a free to use, wireless, reliable and easy to access online service for a portable gaming system - and people loved it. In Metroid Prime Hunters Nintendo gave us online voice chat, lobbies and all sorts of other extras, but fast forward to today, and the online aspect of the DS is looking a little sparse. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis used the Wi-Fi Connection a bit, but in all honesty the online fun has really started to dry up.

When the Wii was announced with a Wi-Fi link up and WiiConnect24 everyone thought Nintendo had finally embraced the online world, but we’re still waiting. Whilst sending messages and checking the weather and news is all well and good, the gaming experience of Nintendo’s online strategy on the Wii is yet to take off. Last week I suggested a WiiWorld Channel might be a good way for Nintendo to go, so this week I’ll be doing a bit of speculating as to what the online future for the company will hold.

Some people call it overpriced, but the Wii Virtual Console is a superb addition to the system. Not only is it a steady revenue stream for Nintendo, it keeps people using the online service and it keeps them using their Wii systems to do new things. On top of that, it has opportunity for expansion. Nintendo have already promised that the Wii Shop Channel is also meant for unique and original content, not just retro rehashes. So far, this is yet to materialise, but I can see it appearing very soon.

A lot of people have been enjoying flash based games on the Wii’s Opera Browser, but they certainly have their limitations. Nintendo have always been about innovation and fun, so why not start releasing some quirky little mini-games through the Wii Shop Channel. Open it up to indie developers and the like, run competitions to get games featured on it and really start to push it as a major prong of the Wii’s online strategy. Shove in some online scoreboards and everyone will be happy.

Nintendo need to be more progressive in their online strategy, but if I’m honest I think they are a bit scared. The security issue is a major one for Nintendo in their lovely family-orientated world, but I’m sure they can work around that. The difference between the online services of the Wii and the XBOX 360 and the PS3 comes down to the games. Super Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Batallion Wars II and Mario Strikers: Charged. Colourful, fun and unique to Nintendo. If Nintendo are really willing to go with the online service and have a Wii Online Channel as well to ‘hub’ it all together, then they will have a very powerful selling point. At the moment, what they have is a bit naff.

The ambition for an excellent online service simply doesn’t seem to be there. Why isn’t Excite Truck online? Or Mario Party 8? Why isn’t WiiConnect24 being used in games more? All of this adds up to the kind of half baked strategy that the old Nintendo used to be so good at. Whilst the online service on the DS started off excellently a lack of must have titles in quite some time has lead to it losing momentum. Every other aspect of the Wii and DS strategy is going rather well then, so perhaps I should stop complaining?

According to sources, third party companies will start to release Wii titles with major online functionality during 2008, leaving 2007 to focus on getting quality titles that make good use of the Wii hardware. EA have done this excellently well and other companies are following suit with some very promising titles being lined up. From this perspective, I think perhaps it is a wise move for Nintendo to delay the online prong of the Wii plan. Developers need time to get used to the Wii hardware, and online functionality would only act as an added distraction. I’m not saying it is an excuse, it is a genuine reason.

It is clear Nintendo do have plans to take games online, they have spoken about it in the past, they have signed up GameSpy to help take it online in a major way, but at the moment everything is a bit of a mystery. I wouldn’t expect Nintendo to break their silence any-time soon either. Whilst Reggie stated that the Wii’s online service would ‘roll out’ from Q2 2007, I’d expect it to start to finally get into the full swing of things as 2008 arrives. In all reality, Nintendo’s silence probably speaks volumes. The world of online gaming isn’t important to them, not yet anyway.

Whatever the case, Nintendo are going to need to have a very strong online strategy in place. Whilst they keep on saying how the Wii is about gaming being ‘sociable’ and ‘for the whole family’ they are going to rely an awful lot on sales from the sort of people who like to play games online. If they fail to compete with XBOX Live in their own unique and Wii-styled way, Nintendo will have made a major mistake.
    <script type="text/javascript">
    digg_url = 'http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-articles/21764-wii-online-what-letdown.html';
    digg_title = 'Wii Online - What A Letdown';
    digg_bodytext = 'When the Wii was announced with a Wi-Fi link up and WiiConnect24 everyone thought Nintendo had finally embraced the online world, but we’re still waiting...';
    digg_topic = 'gaming_news';
    </script>
    <script src="http://digg.com/tools/diggthis.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

2. Ads

Mau
    Member #
    Friends
    8829-6844-1117-2743
    I just hope they come out with something to compete with xbox live... if not, we are doom

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Mau. You have to pay for Xbox live [&#163;5 a month per account] so they can afford to have a good system to run it on
    The SONY one is free and it's not as god
    The NINTENDO one will be free so that won't be as good too.

Nintendo don't want 'Kids' who own the Wii to be playing strangers so you have to add each other before you can play them. Thats how the Pokemon online works. The online will be lame and we'll have to live with that.

No Longer Have A Wii

the guy below- HES BACK!! Wiitime's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1405-1695-6567-5492
    "The online will be lame and we'll have to live with that."

Just b/c of friend Codes it might not be lame. It can be a lot of fun

good article.... He made a good point of what Nintendo has to do. Online needs to be strong and myabe thats why its taking so long. Once online comes out in June, Nintendo should be smart and make sure they spread out there online games so there isnt a drought period.. Question, If 3rd Party companies wont have online games until 08, then How come THE BIGS is said to have online??? COuld it still be online??? I hope Nintendo's online is great
    Mario Strikers Charged Code 034466 539783

If you add me, let me know and i will add u..
    BRAWL CODE-2921 8742 9329

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7740-5070-1158-5119
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiitime
    "The online will be lame and we'll have to live with that."

Just b/c of friend Codes it might not be lame. It can be a lot of fun

good article.... He made a good point of what Nintendo has to do. Online needs to be strong and myabe thats why its taking so long. Once online comes out in June, Nintendo should be smart and make sure they spread out there online games so there isnt a drought period.. Question, If 3rd Party companies wont have online games until 08, then How come THE BIGS is said to have online??? COuld it still be online??? I hope Nintendo's online is great
    It wont be friend based. But lobby based. Their will be a 'connect to friendcode' option. Pokemon is a Lobby-based game. No worries, friendcodes arent as limiting as people thought.
    Wii on 25/12/06 - Ps3 on 10/07/07

PSWii Owner
    Brawl: 1976-9887-4438 Bowser Player

Member #
    Friends
    i really think nintendo will do a killer job though. No doubt

Member #
    Friends
    Yeah how bout not making up things, and saying what it will be like, we are just gonna have to wait and see.

Member #
    Friends
    3236-9379-8590-3355
    I have a feeling it will be just like the ds, auto match, no way to talk to your rivals etc, the friend codes... lame.... ps why do they keep pushing back mario party 8 and smashbros???

SSBB site is my home page SuppaRoy's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    3481-0462-1023-5980
    Online alreade has a date to start....june 25th
    MARIO STRIKERS CHARGED - PM me for Friend Code Exchanges. 386653-777982
    MAKE SURE you send me a private message telling me you added me.

Wins-70 Loses-14
    Undefeated within friends roster. Think you can beat me....jus pm me and we will see

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by SuppaRoy
    Online alreade has a date to start....june 25th
    That it has and to answer the 'Pushing Back' question. Hey if it makes the game even a tiny bit better it's worth it. I'd rather wait a couple of months then have glitches

No Longer Have A Wii

Ads