LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt's_A_Bluebird
    I thought Twilight Princess was pretty epic, that game was so porely advertised, it could have done so much better...
    I think TP is the best game ever. I was also under the impression that it did pretty well in terms of sells.

Member #
    Friends
    wii is always saying we work on gamplay rather than graphics etc etc but still their games are shite

/much thanks to demonflair for the sig!/

push the green mushroom for rep, thats if i've helped you!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by 24forlife
    the graphics really arent that bad!!!1
    for next gen they are

Everything in this signature except for this text was made by Wiired, he is my creator and almighty.

Member #
    Friends
    6825-6610-9310-1313
    Corey - A great way to fight some fires - although not all of them damped down i.e. Wii Cammy...

In the meantime, it takes first parties like Nintendo's in-house teams to show the way. Super Mario Galaxy still remains stunning, as does Super Smash Bros. Brawl. A few other third party efforts are certainly showing some clout too, like Konami's Dewy's Adventure, Capcom's Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure, and some of Electronic Arts' titles (most notably, Boogie and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix). Arguably, none have the sheer potency that Factor 5 showed via its Star Wars: Rogue Squadron GameCube games, but very few have displayed the talent for graphics that developer has, full stop.
    I would like to touch on the above - and also I will stray off topic in a tenuous manner as well, to see if there is any reaction but for the moment I digress...

We are seeing this in reviews for all the systems at the moment still. Reviewers still mentioning poor graphics and slow frame rates - hell even lots of loading times / screens; problems which are prevalent throughout the games industry!

Wii is surely experiencing a lot of criticism because of it's currently higher profile in the market place. If this were a lesser machine then who would give a rats - probably not many. The tale of the tape; for me; concerns the ambiance of the title, does the look of what's being played portray the situation you're in?
    For example - Godfather, certainly crude graphically [on the whole, although there are some superb nuggets in there] but it does give the feeling of the era it's set in. Job done!
    WiiSports - Now this is a tricky one BUT for my money the graphics are pretty close to what is needed for a title such as this - to complain about them isn't really justified as they are fun and simple, same as the game. Job done!

We can take: Rayman, SSX, LoZ, Sonic, Exite Truck etc etc etc most of the titles are fit for purpose - This early on!

Let's be realistic about it all, Wii is below par, as Corey and countless others have commented but there are flickers of what the Wii can do littered throughout the current catalogue of titles, one's I have played anyway.
    Sure they may not be dazzling but on the whole they are sufficient for now.

We can argue the toss about "Next-Gen" & "New-Gen" and what the Wii specs are and what Sony / MS have achieved but it's a moot point for now at least. If the games weren't playable at all then they wouldn't sell - if the machine wasn't functional as intended, then it wouldn't sell. The fact is that the outlay for Wii is small and as such we can forgive a little slackness in presentation whilst devs get their shit together on the graphics and sound. What isn't forgivable is slack or tacked on controls from games which are appearing from 4 -5 months in. I am playing fairly recent games and I can see major differences from RedSteel and COD to Godfather - I am satisfied that a lot of dev time has been appropriated in this direction over say, more realistic graphics.

Now my deviation from topic slightly....

I would like to raise the question of Wii's actual impact this far with the control system - do you think that it has actually progressed beyond a novelty and is rounding up to be a TRUE and QUANTIFIABLE revision to the gaming genre?

Let me expand on my experience up to this point - I own a few titles and can say that in the beginning (Dec06)[except WiiSports but I will come to this] titles such as Loz:TP, NfSC, Kororinpa and similar launch titles took the control system and gave you an oooo & ahhhhhh but didn't actually add any real depth over standard control systems. You may agree or not.

Coming into titles ranging from RedSteel / COD3, Rayman and SSX etc etc - these titles whilst not control perfect have given Wii players added depth and immersion; if you like; to their respective games but ableit on the whole nothing exceptionally miles apart from conventional controller imho.

Now we come to WiiSports and Godfather - these two titles have given an experience which does not relate to conventional control systems and have added what I believe Nintendo actually intended for the system. Uniqueness!

I was playing SSX the other night and stopped to think about what I was actually doing - using two arms, waving them about and controlling a videogame with some measure. I own all the SSX's and this was the first time I have taken stock of the experience of the controls!! It's not the best SSX game but the controls make you work that much harder to achieve. The result is certainly coolness [I'm sure that's what the kids are saying these days...it is 1959 right?! ]

This IS the difference over the other systems....graphics can make you believe you're there to some extent but motion gesture can make you believe you're doing it!

If dev's get the ambiance and controls spot on then it doesn't matter if it looks photorealistic in HD or not etc.. they just need to match the physical experience of the control system - Godfather does it for me, LoZ:TP, which is a far better looking game didn't so much.

Rayman looked good but WiiSports outshone it but didn't have the same standard of graphics...isn't it all objective.

Oh and by the way, seeing as I am now a bonefide DS fanboy / man / distinguished gent - why doesn't anyone ever say the DS graphics are poor but always comment on the fantastic control system hmmm [reads this post back] ahhhhhh question answered

Wii is certain to follow the well worn path of the DS...expect the same if not more.
    Last edited by Rolex; 06-18-2007 at 03:11 AM. Reason: If you get this far, well thank you. ;)
    ---Smithy...
    "This IS the difference over the other systems....graphics can make you believe you're there to some extent but motion gesture can make you believe you're doing it!"

Member #
    Friends
    5781-1229-3280-1523
    i thought tp was a good game in terms of graphics, i wonder if they bring a starfox game out for the wii
    I WANT SONIC IN BRAWL AND HIS FRIENDS! i also want WOLF LINK AND MIDNA AS A PAIR, ZANT. yep i like zelda games, waluigi is good as well, crash bandicoot and spyro and rayman would fit into the game with ease

Member #
    Friends
    3892-2269-1758-4620
    Quote Originally Posted by smashfan
    i thought tp was a good game in terms of graphic..
    I agree it was a good game also and while the controls were alright, they could've been alot better. I wonder if we will ever see a Zelda game or something in that genre where the sword play is done in real time (i think thats the right word.. maybe? lol) where instead of just a quick flick you do a full slash that the sword moves in sync with however far you move the wiimote - hope that makes sense.

Currently Own: Wii Sports, Wii Play, Legend of Zelda: TP, Mario Strikers Charged, Mario Party 8
    Waiting on:Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, SSBB,

Feel free to add me on your wii! Details can be found below my avatar and remmember to msg me your details if you add me!

Member #
    Friends
    What a fantastic article!! This really needed to be said and will hopefully make some people understand that they have to be patient. It's the best article I've seen written on Wiichat so far.

Well done.

2062-8990-6509 GET READY! CyanRussel's Avatar
    Member #
    In my SSBB kingdom waiting for a challenge
    Friends
    3760-9059-7725-6846
    TP, to me, was a very great game, have very good gameplay, and the graphics in my point of view, even though i played a 360............. were at pin-point accuracy!
    Just When You Thought It Was Over........It Not Over Until I Say Its Over........So You Better Think Twice My Friend!!!

My WOC for friends list on Wii is right by my name....If you want to add ME Pm....if you do it without my knowing...I WILL NOT ADD YOU:

Member #
    Friends
    What's interesting though is that if the Wii really is comparable to the Xbox then we should be able to expect graphics of the quality of HL2 and Doom on Xbox. Pretty ok.

Member #
    Friends
    The article said the Wii would be in the range of PS2/Xbox graphics...but was more powerful then the NGC.

The NGC was more powerful then the PS2, so it makes little sense to say the graphics will be similar to system that was less powerful then a system which the article already said was more powerful.
    "Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity, nothing exceeds the criticisms made of the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." -Herman Melville

Ads