LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Rockstar comment on Manhunt ban

Following the announcement yesterday by the BBFC that Manhunt 2 has being banned from sale in UK stores, Rockstar today commented on the outcome.

In a press statement, the company said:

"We are disappointed with the recent decision by the British Board of Film Classification to refuse classification of Manhunt 2. While we respect the authority of the classification board and will abide by the rules, we emphatically disagree with this particular decision.

"Manhunt 2 is an entertainment experience for fans of psychological thrillers and horror. The subject matter of this game is in line with other mainstream entertainment choices for adult consumers.

"We respect those who have different opinions about the horror genre and video games as a whole, but we hope they will also consider the opinions of the adult gamers for whom this product is intended. We believe all products should be rated to allow the public to make informed choices about the media and art they wish to consume. The stories in modern video games are as diverse as the stories in books, film and television. The adult consumers who would play this game fully understand that it is fictional interactive entertainment and nothing more."

Meanwhile over in America US rating company ESRB have given the title an AO (Adult Only) rating which means access to the game will be limited due to many chain stores refusing to sell titles falling into this range.

After the Hot Coffee incident with GTA San Andreas last year, this title was remarked as AO until the content removed and meant many stores were left unable to sell the popular title also published by Rockstar.

Rockstar have six weeks to appeal in the UK for a decision to be overturned and we'll keep you updated.

2. Ads

Special Olympics Medalist BrandonMcAuslan's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    "The stories in modern video games are as diverse as the stories in books, film and television. The adult consumers who would play this game fully understand that it is fictional interactive entertainment and nothing more"

True!

I've a thread in the lounge about censorship - realating partly to this issue. Chekkit!...
    Or don't? meh.

Member #
    Friends
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    2 points of interest for me:
    1. BBFC - British Board of Film Certification. - Since it's not "Censorship", is it absoltuely certain that the lack of an "18" will mean it will not be sold in the UK? What about the PEGI system?
    2. I was actually looking forward to Manhunt 2 (hadn't played the original, but I thought this looked interesting). I'm also over the age of 18. Shouldn't I have the right to buy something like this? Same with "Rule of Rose" on the PS2. I don't see why I shouldn't have my rights to buy something that a developer has poured vast amounts of time and hard work into, just because of some bunch of idiots who thinks that they knows what's best - even for adults.

Just means that people will look for illegitimate ways of playing the game.

Maybe I'll buy a freeloader and get it on import...

I hope Rockstar over-turns this - otherwise, this is just another step towards the dreaded "nanny-state".
    Last edited by Squall7; 06-20-2007 at 11:50 AM.

Mail me if you want to add me on either the Wii or the 360.

WiiChat Writer
    Member #
    Friends
    8756-4872-6334-8478
    I'm sure the game would of been 18 anyway, and I'm sure that 18+ won't be influenced from a game (except if they're psychos). Problem being, just because it's an 18 won't stop younger gamers getting it if it wasn't banned (which I'm sure a bunch of us have done), so I see the UK's thoughts, but no need to ban it completly.. could of at least released it temporarily then banned it (like the first Manhunt), so some people would have a chance on getting it

Member #
    Friends
    3428-9264-8009-7102
    Wow now Ireland and Germany have banned it as well, this isn't good for the people who want more games from Rockstar in the future. The more places it's banned = lower sales = Rockstar unhappy = less games from Rockstar on Wii.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall7
    2 points of interest for me:
    1. BBFC - British Board of Film Certification. - Since it's not "Censorship", is it absoltuely certain that the lack of an "18" will mean it will not be sold in the UK? What about the PEGI system?
    Yes, what happens is because games are increasingly lifelike, they get referred to the BBFC for rating especially when they contain video footage/CGI sequences that are lifelike.

In the last few years we've had games with U and PG ratings which never ever happened in the 90's due to the technology and although it appears to be weird at first it's because these kids games feature moving video footage which has to be rated.

Because Manhunt 2 was refferred to the BBFC, it won't be rated by PEGI who are just an advisory board, there are no legal restrictions on say a child buying a 16+ PEGI rated title DESPITE what signs say in big giants such as GAME. Basically there chatting rubbish that ID is required

Member #
    Friends
    7340-2535-0641-6266
    Don't worry it's not ilegal to own a copy just illegal for compsanies to sell it
    SO go to amazon or play.com

Member #
    Friends
    8450-7414-5993-5063
    im not fussed that its been banned,didnt like the original so not fusse dwith this one

My Codes
    Animal Crossing - 0086 - 8056-9621
    Mario Kart - 3608 6761 4607
    Wii- currently not accepting adds for my Wii

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Hang on is this game even out yet ?

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

run mega run!!! TOTALLY_SMASHED's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    8600-9470-3595-4702
    this game better have sex games if its gonna be rated ao
    violence is never good enough to boost something to adults only
    ps i hear hilary clinton wants to BAN ALL GAMES
    i have no life....so give me 1 by clicking the mushroom in the bottom left corner of my posts

Ads