LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4296-8829-9917-7024
    If you have already preordered thw wii will you still be able to get the dvd feature even if it doesnt come out tell 2007?

art
    Member #
    Friends
    If this is hardware then it sucks. Its foiling the consumer. Do we have to buy another Wii in six-months time to get this? I hope not. Sure i dont care about the DS lite with its white case and slim design, thats cosmetic, but a DVD player?

It better be software. But you know it wont be. And thats how they will keep the price at US$250 by next fiscal year. While unDVD Wii drops to like $200.

I guess this annoys me because, as lame as this sounds, i dont own a DVD player. I don't own a PS2 or a an XBOX. I've got a 12"ibook, but the screen is tiny and the DVD player is lame. I sell my technology. I don't own the consoles i owned previously, the NES, SNES, 64 and GC are all gone. I am Original Gangta Big N from 92. Always have been. So, to me, the possibility of a DVD inside the Wii is awesome, and, they've got me. Tho, like always, i'll just have to sell my launch Wii second-hand, to get the new model.

Lame.

And one more thing, geez i love nintendo! They're so like, previously "oh, we're not in competition with those other guys who are trying to create like digital entertainment hubs for the lounge room", but then they're like going to add DVD?? WTF? I hear the Wii can't even play audio cd. My point is, i would absoluetly love it if my Nintendo was the digital entertainment hub of my lounge/bedroom. Its all i would have.

It makes so much sense: Wireless remote. TV. and a Wii. Always in power save.

To be honest i can see Nintendo going next level with joint-ventures with Apple e.g., itunes store WiiShop. Airport WiiTunes. Honesty i don't know why there ins't a Nintendo Store in every major city, just like Apple Store.

The Wii to me is like the first computer to come anywhere close to being a kind of future television. It gets the internet away from the desktop, away from a keyboard. It puts photos and video on your tv, i mean seriously, whenever you do that stuff you are huddling around some lame computer screen. And mainly, it gets the TV away from the TV. A computer is personal, its meant for one person. A TV is for like a whole family or a bunch of people.

Wii.

"C'mon, C'MON!!"
    Last edited by art; 11-13-2006 at 07:48 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    7368-8559-7526-8152
    Well, since any DVD-ROM drive on a computer can play a DVD movie when coupled with the right software, I'm pretty confident that a software upgrade will be all that is needed...

Member #
    Friends
    7061-0622-1076-8579
    One would think so, and FYI, IGN said that they are not sure if this is a software upgrade or not.

I would assume that it is Software for the sole reason that the Wii reads its data off DVDs. But perhaps there is a missing link in the system. If this were the case, mybe nintendo would make it possible to "upgrade" your hardware.

Still... for some reason I think this will just be software. Cause Im sure all it needs to do is decrypt the data on the DVD, and previously the wii can't do that because it costs too much in liscencing.

I think Nintendo is doing it this way because they are exploiting some loophole. For example, maybe if they realeased the wii with a dvd player, then they would have to pay royalties ro soemthing. But if they release it as an option later on, then they do not need to pay them... Just a thought!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspire
    So, this is software, right? That means we can probably spend some Wii Points and download the app and then be able to play DVDs, no?
    I just found an article on this, and apparently we won't have to buy a whole new Wii, like you said rather, we can use Wii Points to pay for the software online through the Wii browser and download the program which will allow DVD playback. When it comes out, I'll be sure to download it, even though it's not the first priority on my list. Enjoy:

Wii to Have DVD Playback - GamersMark
    WiiSports (obviously) / Redsteel / Excite Truck / TC:SO / Rayman RR / Wii Play / Sonic and the Secret Rings / Mad Catz Skinz

Member #
    Friends
    8426-6514-9175-8079
    Quote Originally Posted by art

To be honest i can see Nintendo going next level with joint-ventures with Apple e.g., itunes store WiiShop. Airport WiiTunes. Honesty i don't know why there ins't a Nintendo Store in every major city, just like Apple Store.
    THERE IS IN NO WAY ANY WAY NINTENDO WILL JOIN WITH APPLE IT HAS BEEN STATED MANY TIMES BY NINTENDO EMPLOYEES I REPEAT NO CHANCE IN HELL!!!
    Last edited by Sam_Harris; 11-14-2006 at 11:50 PM.

See I made it my own! RELIGION *whoosh* wow a 50 page thread bout how there beliefs are right and you are all wrong wow. Oh do want to be different rep! even if I don't help it seems to happen a lot here

Member #
    Friends
    that's cool you don't have to buy a new wii or wate because I don't think i would!

Member #
    Friends
    Sry, but thats preatty gay. They sould have just put it in in the first place. Maybe if they worked a little harder, they could have done it.
    Nintendo will rule the world. Red Steel --#1 game--

Curent Wii fund-$300+
    reymista@yahoo.com

Certified Public Asshole Kamikaze's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1130-2954-1680-3052
    It's not that big of a deal, DVD players cost around 30 dollars now, and many homes already have it, so why is this changing everyone's opinion?

Wii online moderator registerednerd's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by wii_fanatic
    If you have already preordered thw wii will you still be able to get the dvd feature even if it doesnt come out tell 2007?
    Could you get a DS lite if you pre-ordered the DS? There's your answer.
    ... but what do I know?...
    Not currently accepting friend adds.

Ads