1) I respect the original poster's opinion but I myself DO feel as though I'm desparately trying to survive when I play. The lack of goodies in most containers for example means that you cannot always rely on foraging and MUST be careful with each and every shot. In a real world scenario you would get lucky and find some supplies every now and then but others would be looking for supplies as well and things would get picked through fast.
2) I love how developers can leave messages via graffiti and add things to the game on the fly. For example, today the devs put a dev made zombie into the game for one day only, if you find and kill this zombie in the game you get lots of loot.
3) Which brings me to 3...friends become zombies in YOUR game when they die in THEIRS, you can kill this friend created zombie for loot or even be killed BY him (or her)!
4) The game is tense and scary in a way that I haven't really seen in a game for a while. Its all about atmosphere and terror rather than in your face action zombies...like Romero's Dead series as opposed to something like 28 days later.
5) I can't describe why too well, but the game is addicting in a serious way. I guess its the overall game, but I find myself lost in it and spending HOURS, and they fly by.
6) The game feels more real than just about any zombie game or mode i have played.