Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Wii U graphics 'less powerful than PS3, Xbox 360' - developers

Where is your god now? zapasant's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2887-9874-6238-6951
    If this does end up being true, Nintendo are in for a rude awakening; a gimmick can only sell for so long (ask the wiimote). How could they possibly put out a console that will be 7 years ahead of the xbox 230 and 6 years ahead of the ps3 and STILL have less horsepower?! That's actually unbelievable. I can understand the the WiiU have less horsepower than whatever Sony and MSoft put out as their next gen, but you cannot put out a console that is LESS powerful than last generation consoles and expect to prosper simply because of a special controller.

PSN ID: zapasant93

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    The Wii was also behind when it released. It's just a matter of ensuring the people who bought a Wii to remain in Nintendo's grasp for their success.
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572

Trying to motivate myself to play: F.E.A.R., Skyrem.
    Spoiler Alert!

Where the sidewalk ends. Missingno.'s Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1111-2222-3333-4444
    Quote Originally Posted by zapasant View Post
    If this does end up being true, Nintendo are in for a rude awakening; a gimmick can only sell for so long (ask the wiimote). How could they possibly put out a console that will be 7 years ahead of the xbox 230 and 6 years ahead of the ps3 and STILL have less horsepower?! That's actually unbelievable. I can understand the the WiiU have less horsepower than whatever Sony and MSoft put out as their next gen, but you cannot put out a console that is LESS powerful than last generation consoles and expect to prosper simply because of a special controller.
    Why not? Even if this does turn out to be true, which I am skeptical about since many developers (who did not choose to remain anonymous - another red flag) have already come forward and said that WiiU is in fact more powerful, I don't think it really matters anyway. Do you think the huge market of casual gamers bought the Wii because Wii Sports has good graphics?

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Wii sports came with it.
    Only thing I hate about it is its controller, have said why in other threads.
    Sony siad they can do the same thing with the Vita/PS3

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    1111-2222-3333-4444
    Quote Originally Posted by DPrinny View Post
    Wii sports came with it.
    Only thing I hate about it is its controller, have said why in other threads.
    Sony siad they can do the same thing with the Vita/PS3
    It remains to be seen whether or not that's actually true. Also it's not just a matter of can they do the same things, but will they.
    Shuckpluff Shuckpluff Shuckpluff Shuckpluff Shuckpluff

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Dont know.

Maybe it would be awesome if they did as the Vita is a failing handheld that needs to be sucsessful

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    2887-9874-6238-6951
    You can't honestly believe that the casual market thing will work twice? I'll tell you why it won't. First, the casual market isn't going to go out to buy a second console, the wii (which already has a HUGE casual base) is likely going to be enough for them for quite a long time. Second, the casual market has shifted towards app games like angry birds, cut the rope, etc....even facebook games.

Don't believe me? just look at nintendo's earnings reports. They lost an insane amount of money because the 3DS was not selling like they were expecting it to. Why? Because a large percentage of the DS fanbase are casual gamers who did not need a new handheld simply because it was "3d", so they felt no need to buy it. That will likely happen with the WiiU and nintendo knows that, that is why they have contracts to bring core games to the system (call of duty, darksiders, Assasin's creed, etc)

I still doubt that this rumor isn't true for the reasons you stated and the reasons I stated; but if it is true, i'm going to facepalm. For crying out loud, atleast the wii was more powerful than ps2, gamecube and xbox.

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    It started selling well when the price drop happened. (3DS)

Also Monster hunter out on it helped shift it in Japan.

Dont think the Wii U will be successful due to the controller.
    A lot people got the Wii as its a active console (was put in a few old folk's homes), The Wii U looks like its a step backwards then a side step to the left a bit.
    Another thing is a lot of game compays are lazy, they will just use the screen for a inventory type thing.
    It will end up like a bottom screen of a DS

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    1111-2222-3333-4444
    Quote Originally Posted by zapasant View Post
    You can't honestly believe that the casual market thing will work twice? I'll tell you why it won't. First, the casual market isn't going to go out to buy a second console, the wii (which already has a HUGE casual base) is likely going to be enough for them for quite a long time. Second, the casual market has shifted towards app games like angry birds, cut the rope, etc....even facebook games.
    Why wouldn't I believe it? I don't see why they wouldn't buy a second console. Casual gamers often are middle class families with enough expendable income to justify buying a second console. They can get bored of games too. Maybe it seems to have shifted towards app games because everyone already has their Wii...

Don't believe me? just look at nintendo's earnings reports. They lost an insane amount of money because the 3DS was not selling like they were expecting it to. Why? Because a large percentage of the DS fanbase are casual gamers who did not need a new handheld simply because it was "3d", so they felt no need to buy it. That will likely happen with the WiiU and nintendo knows that, that is why they have contracts to bring core games to the system (call of duty, darksiders, Assasin's creed, etc)
    Eh, I believe you, but not so much on your reasoning. I didn't buy a 3DS either, but it was more because of the games. They are pretty much all sequels and ports, and I don't need any of that. I already have OoT for N64, why would I want to spend $X00 to play it on a smaller screen?

I'll tell you one thing though, I'll definitely be getting a 3DS come Pokemon's 6th Gen. I'm sure a lot of others will as well.
    Shuckpluff Shuckpluff Shuckpluff Shuckpluff Shuckpluff

Member #
    Friends
    2887-9874-6238-6951
    Yes, Pokemon is Nintendo's behemoth on the handhelds, It will deffinetly move units. But that brings me to the point that the system would not be selling because of it's gimmick (unless you can convince me that you are exclusively buying it because it will be in 3d and not because it's just simply an awesome series), it will be selling because it's one of their flagship titles. We can't possibly expect that the MILLIONS of DS owners who exclusively play things like brain age, professor layton, sodoku, cooking mama and those other types of games will shift to a new handheld because it's 3D, no way, they are looking for a quick fix in entertainment (which the ds used to provide exclusively), but that is now being provided by smartphones, tablets, facebook, etc.

I really feel that this will be the same situation that the WiiU will face if they put out an extremely weak console that developers will not be willing to develop for. This is why I believe that this article is fake because we wouldn't have companies jumping on board to develop core titles. I don't think nintendo is dumb, I think they realize that they do not own the casual market anymore, the smartphones, tablets and facebook does; I expect the graphical power of the wiiU to exceed all current generation consoles, it's the best way to prosper.

Ads