LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Wii U sucess in danger: Sony bought Gaikai!!

Hi everyone, if you remember I posted a thread long time ago called the Nintendo nextgen console. In that thread (before the Wii U reveal) I said that in the future all the gaming industry will turn to digital and finally cloud gaming. Now it's happening, as a hardcore gamer I was hoping that Nintendo could buy Gaikai as a smart step to beat the competition before they take this step. Not only to improve the Nintendo's online network, but to offer a far better service than Sony and Microsoft. I remember when Iwata Sam said that the next Nintendo consoles will be use the 3G or 4G network, that means a very hight bandwidth for streaming games, movies, and every kind of online content. And this is the point: to use cloud streaming in games is a must an exclusively 4G network only for consoles to play games fluidity without lacks. This is a good point because the expensive cost of nextgen consoles, if the ps4 and xbox720 want to surpass the horsepower of a high-end computer or workstation it almost cost more than $400 or $500 each. To expensive for the relative consumer, but if they make consoles based in high streaming instead of horsepower they can reduce the cost to an affordable price. Imagine that the ps4 is a little console that appears without enough horsepower, but it could run games with a graphics level of a hollywood movie workstation almost 100 times better than the Wii U with a price bellow the $200 mark. Did you get excited? Don't you?
    Well, I hope Nintendo could implement by itself a streaming service like Gaikai, but it will take them many years to accomplish that. So, by the time Sony has the advantage. Also, a lacking information from Microsoft reveals that they want to buy Onlive to catch the competency too.
    What do you think about?

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Most likely a smart move by Sony indeed, but I entirely doubt that the WiiU's success is in danger. If Sony wants to implement Gaikai into their next console properly, I'd imagine that changes to development 'n such would keep the system off the market for even longer, givin' the WiiU further extended time to pick up impatient consumers.

The next generation after that however, I can't say the same... If both Sony and Microsod can figure out said methods of cloud gaming in their consoles and Ninty doesn't jump on board properly, the lower price perk that casual families 'n such look for might not be as low in comparison anymore. That situation would almost definitely hurt sales.

Either way, I don't particularly care nor am I excited. Notably lower prices are always nice, but I'm a gamer. I'll keep on buyin' games 'till they become a toy for the rich and the rich alone.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    >Cloud gaming.

Bollocks to that. Id rather have a Wii U than anything where the games are not really owned by you

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by SSBfreakCK View Post
    Most likely a smart move by Sony indeed, but I entirely doubt that the WiiU's success is in danger. If Sony wants to implement Gaikai into their next console properly, I'd imagine that changes to development 'n such would keep the system off the market for even longer, givin' the WiiU further extended time to pick up impatient consumers.

The next generation after that however, I can't say the same... If both Sony and Microsod can figure out said methods of cloud gaming in their consoles and Ninty doesn't jump on board properly, the lower price perk that casual families 'n such look for might not be as low in comparison anymore. That situation would almost definitely hurt sales.

Either way, I don't particularly care nor am I excited. Notably lower prices are always nice, but I'm a gamer. I'll keep on buyin' games 'till they become a toy for the rich and the rich alone.
    Ok, but here is my question. Iwata in another interview said that Wii U won't show the same difference in graphics as the Wii with the ps3/xbox360 in the last generation. The gap between Wii U and the xbox720/ps4 could be very little in graphic terms like an ultra high video settings and low video settings. But if they use a ultra high graphic workstation to stream games directly to your console, the difference will be notorious. Because, the Wii U has very good graphics is not enough to reach the level of a hollywood workstation or be compared.
    So, What should Nintendo do with competency like these nextgen consoles?
    Last edited by stickmode; 07-06-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    A hollywood workstation?
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572

Trying to motivate myself to play: Project X Zone, Etrian Odyssey IV.
    Spoiler Alert!

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Quote Originally Posted by stickmode View Post
    Ok, but here is my question. Iwata in another interview said that Wii U won't show the same difference in graphics as the Wii with the ps3/xbox360 in the last generation. The gap between Wii U and the xbox720/ps4 could be very little in graphic terms like an ultra high video settings and low video settings. But if they use a ultra high graphic workstation to stream games directly to your console, the difference will be notorious. Because, the Wii U has very good graphics is not enough to reach the level of a hollywood workstation or be compared.
    Not mockin' ya or nothin', but... There isn't a question in that post, bro.

'Course, I've still a retort. I don't recall graphical capabilities being the most notable cause of making or breaking a console in a console war. Particularly not in the modern age whereas graphics have come so amazingly far. Obviously Ninty isn't going to win the vote of the graphic nuts out there, but I don't think they ever did in the first place IMO.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiAssasin View Post
    A hollywood workstation?
    Yes, if you need more info. Check this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Ton...-11,12599.html
    In that article they say that "The future of graphics processing" of video game consoles will match the performance of a workstation used to make hollywood digital animated movies by 2015. Those workstations could cost arround 10-50 thousand bucks each one.
    Last edited by stickmode; 07-06-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    In other words, PC's are and will remain the top choice for anyone that cares for graphics. We've known that for a while.

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    8902-7496-9131-4150
    From what if heard is, that the PS4 or so called orbis and the new Xbox is probably gonna be launched in 2014. Which leaves Nintendo with a wide catch up spaces in sold game-consoles, which gives Nintendo time to improve herself, himself uuhh... itself, argh you get the point.

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    They'd capitalize on sales with their first party titles. If they could be more open to third party games they could really get things done. It would certainly nullify the technical weaknesses it may have.

Spoiler Alert!

Ads