LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    I agree with mitch down to a point. The best PC gamer will beat the console gamer in speed and accuracy of the cursor. It can't be helped. Now, the console-er has the one up in the left analog, rather than wasd.

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Well, the Xbox 360 has support for both Keyboards & Mouses for some of it's games. So yeah, i guess you can look at it as a win/win situation, but for what games are actually compatible with USB Keyboards & Mouses, i'm not really sure of... I know Gears Of War has support for both, but i'm not sure about the Orange Box.

Gikoku ハラカミ
    --------------------------

Don't think. Feel...
    It's like a finger pointing to the moon.
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory.
    ~Bruce Lee, Wing Chun.

Member #
    Friends
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    *mice*....

If a mouse wasn't better, it wouldn't be offered for 360/ps3...

Member #
    Friends
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawny
    *mice*....

If a mouse wasn't better, it wouldn't be offered for 360/ps3...
    I agree to a point.

Personally I also agree with Mitch, as people have there preferences and often accept that of which they are good at, there for both users are probably about equal in there skill. I also believe mice are easier for people to pick up and play simply because most of us have not only used mice for probably years now, but also receive regular training as the mouse is still the most practical pointing device. This doesn't surprise me that people would not only make it there preferred choice, but even go so far to think it's even superior to anything else.

I also agree with Brawny on his "greater than" scheme, however the lack of training using the Wii Remote for FPS still makes it a candidate to finally out-perform the mouse in the FPS category, if not at least be considered it's equal. The mouse has one clear advantage over any other choice out there, that is a very commonly used pointing device and one that even non-gamers are familiar with, so accuracy with a mouse is much easier to achieve on average than a c-stick or even a Wii Remote. I am sure that if we put in the time we have with the mouse we'd find either method just about the same as far as speed and accuracy.

I suspect that this is why mouse+keyboard support is an option for some 360 games as well, not because it's "better", but often because some people will find it more comfortable.

"Real Men Wii Standing Up"

Member #
    Friends
    mouse is without question the faster/more intuitive/more accurate choice over the analog stick

the next best thing is the wii-mote pointing, metroid proved that it can be a successful way of gaming. medal of honor may have even topped that! it's also a more natural shooting position

analog stick is oooollllldddd technology. think N64..

any time analog gamers go up against mouse aim gamers they get murked too again and again.

Member #
    Friends
    Don't forget it's mostly about how was the game developed. Take the Orange Box's TF2, EP2 and Portal. Don't include HL2 and Episode 1 since they were coded specifically for PCs.

They don't control well on a PC with the keyboard/mouse. One accustomed to playing PC games can easily "feel" the differnce. However, on the 360, the feel is REALLY good.

That's because TF2, EP2 and Portal were coded FOR console play. They've been ported to PC. Sad, sad, sad. God I really have Vivendi. Just in case you didn't know, they own Sierra/Valve/Steam/HL2/etc.

I have a student who regularly goes 50&1 on high ranked Halo3 matches. He's insane with a 360 controller. I slaughter him on PC games including Halo:Evolved.

I was one of the original batch of HL beta testers and while I really like what's been done with HL2 and it's episodes, I HATE (FREAKING HATE!!!!!!) TF2!!!!!

My GOD! I waited all this time for TF2 and it's CRAP compared to TFC. No grenades, no rocket/grenade jump, no bouncing timed grenades, and a lot of other crappy things. Yes it LOOKs awsome, but the game play sucks and the fact that one has to wait so much is total BS. What's with the 60 second "pre-play" time??!?!?!? I think it's simply so they can push more ads on the screen.

Oh, and I'm not a WASD "movement" player. I use forward=mouse1, back=mouse2, step-left=A, step-right=D, Fire=Space, Jump=CTRL, Alt-fire=X (sometimes mouse3 or 4) and look=mouse. WASD players can't match that. Keyboards are no where near as responsive as a mouse.
    Central Ohio: Wii via component on Mitsu 55" HD-RPTV. 94 ImpalaSS, MCSE/MCT, MS/Network Consultant.

Member #
    Friends
    2025-2025-2025-2025
    Quote Originally Posted by lackluster dj

analog stick is oooollllldddd technology. think N64.
    you do realize that the mouse is older than the analog stick right?

KARPMOD SUCKS
    Moderator @ Wii Chat
    [PM]
    No, I will NOT add you to my friends list.
    [/SIZE]
    Mitch2025 - Stays crunchy, even in milk.

Thanks DBloke for the sig

I miss my weighted companion cube

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Quote Originally Posted by lackluster dj
    analog stick is oooollllldddd technology. think N64.
    The analog stick/arcade joystick has been around since 1973, it's just a modified version of the Arcade joysticks. N64 is definitely not the pioneer of it. Infact, if i remember right.. the first Atari console had an analog stick back in 1977 for it's controller... granted it was large and funny looking.

I'm unsure at the moment of whether or not the analog stick is older than the mouse or not, don't remember when the mouse was first invented.. I'll have to check it out later.
    Last edited by Gikoku Harakami; 10-31-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Gikoku ハラカミ

Don't think. Feel...
    ~Bruce Lee, Wing Chun.

Member #
    Friends
    2025-2025-2025-2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Gikoku
    The analog stick has been around since 1972 (maybe alittle earlier) , it's just a modified version of the Arcade joysticks. N64 is definitely not the pioneer of it. Infact, if i remember right.. the first Atari console had an analog stick back in 1977 for it's controller... granted it was large and funny looking.

I'm unsure at the moment of whether or not the analog stick is older than the mouse or not, don't remember when the mouse was first invented.. I'll have to check it out later.
    the first mouse was invented in 1972 i believe (according to Wiki anyways)

KARPMOD SUCKS
    Moderator @ Wii Chat
    [PM]
    No, I will NOT add you to my friends list.
    [/SIZE]
    Mitch2025 - Stays crunchy, even in milk.

Thanks DBloke for the sig

I miss my weighted companion cube

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch2025
    the first mouse was invented in 1972 i believe (according to Wiki anyways)
    Ah, okay. Need to correct myself then, since the first gaming joystick came out in 1973 (and not 1972), a year after the mouse.

Gikoku ハラカミ

Don't think. Feel...
    ~Bruce Lee, Wing Chun.

Ads