LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by wezeles
    and it cost them 1 billion so far... jesus, i know gates has money to spare but he plans on retiring soon... hes gonna have to say goodbye to that new submarine he wanted...

How profitable could the 360 be after that? i thought they were turning a profit? a small one but a profit the same...

how can you turn a profit when you dedicate 1 billion dollars to fix what you already sold?
    The 1 Billion is probably a write down only on their books. The way it works is this:

When a company offers warranties, they automatically have to take a write down based on a formula. Lets say they think 25% of consoles will need to be replaced, so they use the amount of units sold, times the percent, times the repair costs. Thats the write down they took. Its really only on paper.

Once the three years is up, any consoles they didnt need to get repaired, will have the write down added back, and Microsoft will have a gain on their books, but again, only on paper...not an actual cash gain.
    True Eminence Car Club

Sam Houston State University

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e
    Yeah they lost alot of money.

Edit: or atleast I thought they did. I think my calculator is broke. I Multiplied $270 x 17.7 million but the number is huge, it doesnt seem right. According my calc its $4,779,000,000. Wtf? Can someone else try it, according to that, even with the billion dollars wasted on warranty, they still make close to 3.78 billion dollars. Its actually more, because I went by the price for the cheapest console. Thats crazy, I actually thought they would lose more than they gained. I didnt think it could make that much. Unless my calc is wrong.
    You forgot what it costs to make the consoles...
    True Eminence Car Club

Sam Houston State University

Member #
    Friends
    Oh yeah I forgot that.

But yeah, even though it has so much hardware failure I never really cared because 3 year warranty and there's so many good games on it that it made the 360 worth it.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

Member #
    Friends
    most reliable console? hell no. most reliable customer service? yes. microsoft is very good about repairing/replacing defective consoles.

Gamertag/PSN ID=SensesFailxWiix if you add me send me a message via console or wiichat

Member #
    Friends
    3480-6187-2679-2938
    64s are easily the most reliable console...
    Would like a sig to enter here.

I have two personalities: Personality 1/Social/school= Metro/Skate/surf brand clothes and jokes. Personality 2/Wiichat=... Grammer and long words.

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Bill's a nice guy and all, and the newer 360 models may be alot more reliable. But I wouldn't go as far as saying the most reliable console ever, I give that one to the Sega Genesis.

But what some people seem to not realize is that the older models are mixed on the shelves with the newer models, thus resulting in the customers doing the luck of the draw thing. You'll either pick up the older model which will eventually die on you, or you'll either pick up the newer model.

Which in my opinion, blows.

Gikoku ハラカミ
    --------------------------

--------------------------
    Don't think. Feel...
    It's like a finger pointing to the moon.
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory.
    ~Bruce Lee, Wing Chun.

Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    kinda wierd that they just didnt do an in store recall once they found out it effected that many systems... im sure they could have just said "send back models from this to this manufactured date" then atleast they wouldnt have to worry about the customers even having one.... just fix them and ship them right back out again...

I think thats the first time in history that anything has had a 30% fail rate and customers still keep it or have it fixed, shows that xbox has some dedicated customers for sure... most peope would say screw you give me my money back... im sure a few have done just that but apparently not enough to really effect sales... they seem to be keeping there steady pace upwards

Member #
    Friends
    Because regardless of the failure rate, Microsoft does repair it for free and for 3 years at that. Ive never had a piece of electronic equipment that I payed this much for and get 3 year warranty for free. Atleast nothing that I know of... Also the games are so fun its hard to turn your back on it, assuming Xbox has the type of games you like. So obviously if your a casual gamer either you wouldnt stand for this, or you barely use it anyway so your Xbox doesnt fry on you. My Xbox would only get somewhat warm after hours of play. But a few weeks ago I got a cooling unit and now it stays cool to the touch even after hours of playing. So im assuming I shouldnt have a problem.

Oh and I doubt the older models are still out their. They stopped production and the older ones and started the new ones on July I think. Those have a new GPU heatsink. In September they started making it with a whole new motherboard with 65nm CPU's which are more quiet and stay cooler. So I guessing if something goes wrong with mine, they will replace it with a newer version (I hope...) so that the chances of it happening again are slim, therefore saving both me and microsoft time and them money.
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

honesty is my only excuse FR3344LL's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e
    Oh and I doubt the older models are still out their.
    you'll be suprised.

i bought a 360 for my son at the end of November (07) and at the same
    time a couple of guys i work with bought one too (argos uk, were doing
    a good bundle for 249.99 at the time).

when we got them back to work, one of the guys wanted to have a look
    at his console and was pleasantly suprised to see it was a newer HDMI
    model. i then took a look at the one i'd bought and was dismayed to see
    it was an older model, which upon further inspection had an October 06
    manufacturer date.

luckily i was able to take it back and get the HDMI version that evening.

Ste
    Ste

Member #
    Friends
    Oh, I thought you meant now. I was saying after this christmas with all the sales, their shouldn't be anymore.

Ads