Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

"10 reasons why sony will this console generation"

Discussion in 'Playstation Consoles' started by Wii&Ps3, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Wii&Ps3

Wii&Ps3 Banned

Heres the funny part. Ive called the wii a fad over and over again. Yes its fun at first, but it gets old very quick. Even a dev at insomniac thinks the same way. Wii will have its greatness for a couple of years, but it will soon die out. It definitely wont have the strength to do the numbers the ps2 did. Same goes for the 360. The 360 could have been a great system, but the dvd drive is what is going to kill its future.

#1 Wii&Ps3, Mar 28, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  2. A RAND0M TAC0

A RAND0M TAC0 Like A Stone

Wii Friend Code: 0882-4030-9133-6768
    0882-4030-9133-6768
    And those are all opinions, you make it seem like they are facts almost.

Funny how you only post articles that pretty much bash the Wii now.

Insomniac is also pretty much 1st party, sooooooo :nonod:

3. Chaz

Chaz WiiChat Member

It is quite amusing how you use a company that makes games primarily for the PS3 then say that since the person interviewed said that the Wii will die out, it's truth.

And the comparison of a Wii to a Furby is hilarious, you can't compare a games console to a toy for 5 year olds. It's a games console, new things come out for it weekly (games). A Furby's a furby, does a few things but can never do more.

4. ottoman

ottoman Banned

Wii Friend Code: 1156-6661-4692-6561
    1156-6661-4692-6561
    "7. The Wii Fad Will Fade
    OK, this one’s going to be controversial, but I have to say it. I like Nintendo a lot. I think Nintendo has innovated far more than any other company in the industry. And I think the Wii is really, really fun. But… let me relate to you a story that may sound familiar:

Your friend Reggie invites you over for a Wii Party. It’s awesome. You and your friends partake in whatever beverages are legally appropriate for your age group. The next day everyone who went to the party rushes out and buys a Wii.

A week later Reggie hosts another Wii Party. This time only half the group comes. It’s still fun, but there isn’t quite as much shoving to get at the Wiimote.

The next week Reggie hosts another Wii Party. You tell him you have bird flu.

Obviously I’m exaggerating, but the Wii does have many characteristics of popular mainstream fads. It’s instantaneously accessible, it’s unlike anything you’ve tried before, and it’s great fun to share with friends. In short, it’s everything Nintendo said it would be and it has captured the world’s imagination. The only downside is that the world is easily distracted. Tickle Me Elmo captured the world’s attention at one point, as did Furbies. They were both instantly accessible, were unlike anything people had seen before, and were fun to share with friends. But a year later, after everyone had seen them and tried them out, their popularity waned.

The Wii is currently riding on a massive wave of mainstream attention and has been purchased by lots of people who don’t normally play games. But how many of those people who are hooked on Wii Sports will also buy Wii Need For Speed? Mainstream fads usually run their course within a year. As the honeymoon period fades, the Wii will be going up against more and more graphically impressive games on the PS3 and Xbox 360. More people will be buying HD televisions and looking for the most immersive and stunning experiences available. For these reasons, I think the Wii will be more successful than the GameCube or N64 but in the long run will still be outsold by the PS3."

Well think of it this way, if the wii wasnt going to be good, then why have a wii party? Ive never heard of a PS3 party, have you? well the only reason people wouldn't haved shoved to get at the wiimote is becuase it isnt as new and innovative as it was at first try...after a few weeks its a normal thing. but that doesnt mean the wii isnt fun, o that its a gimmick, you cant expect people to hold a wiimote everyday, as if its their first time...

People get used to things, the PS3 has failed...get over it.

5. WiiZero

WiiZero Game Wiizard

Wii Friend Code: 5435-9829-5121-8955
    5435-9829-5121-8955
    I Agree with everything except for the fact that Wii is just a fad once online comes out there will be a huge rush again as well as the release of Brawl, Corruption and Galaxy as well as a few other big ones. This generation will go down in history as the most succesful all together This-gen will outsell ever other gen out there because of Motion-sensing, the first to be really online and amazing graphics that will never be forgoten this along with what will be in my opinion the greatest games ever

6. gnahc79

gnahc79 WiiChat Member

from my last post that you 'conveniently' ignored:

"- The Wii has an insane initial install base over the PS3
    - It's hard to overcome this install base, especially with the higher cost of the PS3. It is impossible for any company to sell a PS3-like console for the price of the Wii and break even let alone make a profit, so it's pointless to use as a comparison. Nintendo intentionally decided to sacrifice shiny hardware and focused on entertainment instead. It was a big risk and right now it seems like it's a good bet.
    - For game companies it's all about numbers. If there's lots more Wii units in households than PS3s, guess where the focus of the development will be? IMO this is the BIGGEST factor that will determine the success or demise of any console: if there's any dern games available...and good ones. Game companies could care less that the PS3 or Wii is 'better'. They just care about money and rightly so.

For now it looks like the Wii is beating the PS3 senseless. You never know, though, Sony is a big company and who knows what they'll do to try to salvage their shiny new console. "

"But as the price drops, developers master the hardware, and Blu-Ray becomes the new DVD standard, Sony’s early disadvantages turn to advantages."

uh by the time the price drops it'll be too late. 3rd party companies will have very little resources devoted to PS3. Betting on Blu-Ray is total crap too. The majority of consumers are just fine with DVD and will be for a while, it's nothing like the VHS->DVD format move.

oh, also there's not much difference in picture quality between HDMI and component. If anything component is more reliable and has no chance of strange compatability issues with various displays.

#6 gnahc79, Mar 28, 2007
  7. WiiZero

WiiZero Game Wiizard

Wii Friend Code: 5435-9829-5121-8955
    5435-9829-5121-8955
    Wii was smart it really didn't enter the race a lot of people who have Wii also have a 360 or PS3

8. Squall7

Squall7 A li'l bit different

Wii Friend Code: 8420-0141-9022-6948
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    I'm sorry, but it's hard to take anyone seriously when they don't make a thread title that actually makes sense.
    "10 reasons why sony will console generation".
    Shouldn't it be:
    "10 reasons why sony will win this console generation"?
    And wishing it to happen will not make it true.

9. Skeet Rag

Skeet Rag WiiChat Member

You are an idiot. A wii party? Do people actually do that? Have a party dedicated to a wii and play it? If so...wow. I think the wii will get old. When you play it, it's fun at first, but after a while your like "I just want to sit on my ass and press some buttons"

I like how you ask if you've ever heard of a PS3, like no body likes it or wants it. You are a moron. Tell me how the PS3 has failed again? How does that work? The PS3 is an awesome machine, and so are the other two consoles.
    People say the PS3 costs too much, but then they go and say the new Elite Xbox is awesome and want to buy it, when the PS3 gives you what the elite has, and a bit more...no wifi? WTF is that, and you have to buy the HDD separate, and there is no HD-DVD drive? Way to support your own format...

I'm not saying it isn't fun, but it will get old.

10. Wii_Smurf

Wii_Smurf No.1 Smurf

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Fanboy Shhh

11. gnahc79

gnahc79 WiiChat Member

yes, old people for sure. lol :)

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/fun.games/03/23/wii.retirees.reut/index.html

"Flora Dierbach, 72, chairs the entertainment committee at a sister facility owned by Erickson Retirement Communities in Chicago and helped arrange a Wii bowling tournament -- the latest Wii craze."

12. Shiftfallout

Shiftfallout shiftfallout.com

The quote from the Insomniac guy has a lot of logic behind it. I know many here wont even look at it without their own sad bais, and the remarks that will follow show it.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to show that the PS3 is both an amazing machine for consumers and developlers.

Sony did wow a lot of developers at GDC07. They do have third party support with a line up of their own titles. They do have the most advanced firmware on the market. Blue ray is good for developers. People just dont realize what gets sacrificed, dumbed down, and compressed when squezing games into reguar DVD roms.

Developers do like the PS3, Sony hasnt been offering them money for exclusives. Thats all you see and people are turning into something catastrophic, as if the PS3 is so bad the developers are running in fear. Which is not the case at all, the exact opposite actually.

As for the Wii being a fad? I wouldnt call it a fad persay, its simple fun. But like history has shown the fun factor will slow as time goes on. I like the Wii, but even I am not going to lie to myself and say it has a long future. This doesnt make the wii a worse system, but it will not be able to keep up in the long run. I believe Nintendo is aware of this, and i am interested in how they plan to move forward.

13. Skeet Rag

Skeet Rag WiiChat Member

A wii party would be retarded....Maybe have a party and see if people want to play the wii for a bit. Calling it a wii party is stupid...That sounds like you are only having it to play the wii with some buddies, and thats all that you're doing

14. PtonJalken

PtonJalken Ptowwnaagee!

Wii Friend Code: 7740-5070-1158-5119
    7740-5070-1158-5119
    Why do you always post these stupid guys saying their opinions? You might worship their words but sorry we dont. BTW you spelt your title wrong. Good Impression.

The guy says hes not biased but he obviously is. And half of those statements are crap anyways. Naming off a few of the Ps3's "Features" isnt prooving that its going to kick but. Sure hasnt yet. Him using 'Home' as his #1 reason kinda prooves he is a fanboy, i still dont see how thats going to be all the hype people say. Just look out your window.

His statement about the 'wii fad' was junk also, sure people will buy more Wiis. Thats not going to hurt Nintendo, all he basically said was the Wii Party would be fun and everyone would want their own Wii after and not want to come to his house cause of their own. lol.

Sure the PS3 has the most stuff, but look at the price they sacrificed to cram it all in.

Either way, im sure people here will treat every word like gold out of people like this. Sad really.

You can find the exact same type of people, saying the exact types of things about the 360 and the Wii. But you dont see us posting it here and boning over it. ;)

You also said the Ps3 Europe launch would do extremely well.

#14 PtonJalken, Mar 28, 2007
  15. gnahc79

gnahc79 WiiChat Member

Interesting point. Having better hardware does allow developers more freedom in key areas like graphics, AI (sort of), the max# of objects on a screen, etc etc. You could also flip it towards the advantage of Nintendo in the area of creativity. Sure there's more performance related restrictions on what is allowed, but dang you get to try something new with programming for the wiimote and nunchuck!

As a developer (not gaming) I'd take 'fun' over hardware any day. It's true that really slow hardware can suck the fun in no time, but IMO the Wii hardware is adequate. I imagine QA testing for Wii games must be nuts, I wonder if they're decked out in workout clothes and replaced the Mountain Dew with Gatorade :)

In the end it's all about money, so what I think is fun doesn't matter to the higher ups, lol.

16. Squall7

Squall7 A li'l bit different

Wii Friend Code: 8420-0141-9022-6948
    8420-0141-9022-6948
    I agree. Simpler things like rubix cude, the hoola hoop, pogs, yoyo's etc are fads. However, something that is being updated all the time is no fad. Likewise, he assumes that people will be playing alone at home a lot instead of putting their own mii's on their wiimote and taking them to another person's house. There's plenty of games for the Wii both out now and coming out soon that will be multiplayer, and some might just be online too (Brawl for example). With the number of games going up, I think the Wii will be able to hold it's own. Also, take into account that more and more games are actually giving you the choice to play in a traditional style or a new style (Mortal Kombat Armageddon for example), this means that anyone who doesn't like using the wiimote for playing, doesn't have to.

Very true. It's quite sad that developers and even the big game companies are bowing down to the kinds of things "fanboys" are doing (such as calling the Wii, 2 gamecubes duck taped together or Microsoft's antics in the PS3 European launch). Not that I'm against fanboys, but to be taken seriously in an industry, people have to act like adults, which is not the case a lot of the time today.

#16 Squall7, Mar 28, 2007
  17. Flagel

Flagel Soul of highest Calibur

Wii Friend Code: 4883-9225-1818-3903
    4883-9225-1818-3903
    I have to agree with the guys point #4. I imagine loads of people will pay £400+ to watch 1 film.

18. Shiftfallout

I think your missing the point altogether.
    People will want to watch their favorite movies on the best quality they can get. Take Terminator 2 for example. Why would people have bothered getting a dvd if they could watch it on a cheaper VHS. The point hes making is that Blue ray itself is not bad, and there is a GROWING market for it. Keyword is "growing". If people do want a blue ray player, they will get the cheapest one they can find, right now that seems to be the PS3. I dont know of any gamer who doesnt like movies also.

So there you have it

19. PtonJalken

PtonJalken Ptowwnaagee!

Wii Friend Code: 7740-5070-1158-5119
    7740-5070-1158-5119
    During the Ps3's lifespan, im sure Bluray players will get much cheaper to combat that.

20. Shiftfallout

Of course thats inevitable however by saying this, you acknowlege the ps3 will have a long life span? Sony is controlling blue ray very carefully. The more profit starts to flood in from the secondary market and games the lower Sony can price their systems.