2 Million for North American Launch?

JeremyDay

WiiChat Member
Aug 3, 2006
Preordres from gamestop and ebgames have come and gone. I'm sure there were a lot of disappointed people out there (including myself).

I get tired of people (normally people who have a preorder) telling me that there will be plenty on launch day but . . . looks like our chances improved.

http://www.2old2play.com/News/Wii_Launch_Quantity_now_2_Million

http://crunchgear.com/2006/10/11/nintendo-doubles-wii-launch-units/

The language in both articles are . . . different. I don't know if this is absolutely confirmed but . . . here's to hoping.

Thanks,

JD

2 million is not enough,, 2 million were probably preordered today so the peole who didnt preorder and wont online at eb/gs when they do. get ready to wait until 2007 to get your wii.. I am fuirous about this!

There will be 2 million Wii's on launch, yes. But only 1 million go to the U.S., and the other million are distributed in other places.

yankeesrule13251 said:
2 million is not enough,, 2 million were probably preordered today so the peole who didnt preorder and wont online at eb/gs when they do. get ready to wait until 2007 to get your wii.. I am fuirous about this!

So you're telling me that Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc.. will not be getting the Wii? Wrong. GameStop didn't take that many Preorders either, I know they all sold out, but they weren't allowing that much in the first place anyways. 12-34 units per store, with mine getting only 12. Even if you figure in 10,000 GameStops and EBgames and 30 per store, that's only 300,000 Wiis.

If you want to get the Wii at launch, you will be able to. Trust me, 2 Million is enough. Just walk into your local Wal-Mart and pick one up. If you happen to not get one on launch day, go back a week later and pick one up.

We will most definately not have to wait for 2007.

antimatter said:
So you're telling me that Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc.. will not be getting the Wii? Wrong. GameStop didn't take that many Preorders either, I know they all sold out, but they weren't allowing that much in the first place anyways. 12-34 units per store, with mine getting only 12. Even if you figure in 10,000 GameStops and EBgames and 30 per store, that's only 300,000 Wiis.

If you want to get the Wii at launch, you will be able to. Trust me, 2 Million is enough. Just walk into your local Wal-Mart and pick one up. If you happen to not get one on launch day, go back a week later and pick one up.

We will most definately not have to wait for 2007.
What if we can't wait one week huh...theirs like a wii waiting for you and you have to keep it waiting 7 days...oh the pain of the slowness of that week ...lol

Jenova said:
There will be 2 million Wii's on launch, yes. But only 1 million go to the U.S., and the other million are distributed in other places.

Actually, if you read the first article, it says they could have as many as 9 million total by launch. The 2 million is the number coming to the States. The others will be distributed between Asia/Europe/Rest of North America.

Also, like already stated, places like Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, ect probably hold the majority of Wii unit shipments, and none of them are allowing preorders. There will be thousands of Wii taken by Preorder, yes, but I bet atleast 1 million units on store shelves on November 19.

Exactly

I was under the impression that the two million was in reference to the North American release. The original number was one million for North America and an addition three million spread out elsewhere.

As for the number of stores for ebgames and gamestop, there are 4,400:

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/newinvest/

Notice that not all of the 4,400 stores are located in the United States. On the other hand, the Wii allotment disappeared in 15 minutes (at all 6 of the stores in my area).

Even if the number were only 20 consoles for each store on average . . . that's still 88,000 Wii's gone in 15 minutes. That's almost 1/10th of the original allotment (much closer or more than 1/10th if you take in account that Canada and Mexico will take their shares).

Also note that many of the threads spoke about long lines, where most of the people waiting to preorder were not able. I'm still not certain I will be lucky enough to get one at launch.

Crossing my fingers.

Thanks,

JD

JeremyDay said:
I was under the impression that the two million was in reference to the North American release. The original number was one million for North America and an addition three million spread out elsewhere.

As for the number of stores for ebgames and gamestop, there are 4,400:

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/newinvest/

Notice that not all of the 4,400 stores are located in the United States. On the other hand, the Wii allotment disappeared in 15 minutes (at all 6 of the stores in my area).

Even if the number were only 20 consoles for each store on average . . . that's still 88,000 Wii's gone in 15 minutes. That's almost 1/10th of the original allotment (much closer or more than 1/10th if you take in account that Canada and Mexico will take their shares).

Also note that many of the threads spoke about long lines, where most of the people waiting to preorder were not able. I'm still not certain I will be lucky enough to get one at launch.

Crossing my fingers.

Thanks,

JD

Leaving 9/10 of the Wiis to go to the other stores, the majority of which aren't accepting preorders.

So I'd estimate atleast 5/10 Wii will be non-preordered avaliable for you to buy.

Which at the current estimate of 2 million means 1 million chances for you to get one.

Also . . .

By the way, my recent trip to Ebay shows 333 consoles for sale. Many of which are identified as EBGames and Gamestop preorders.

I've written an email to Nintendo . . . suggesting they exert some clout against the practice of their systems being preordered and sold before they are even purchased. It seems unethical and perphaps . . . illegal.

I also saw mention of some of the sellers saying they were Gamestop employees . . . saying they had a system for themselves and one more . . .

I'm going to contact Gamestop and suggest they curb such practices. I don't care if they work at Gamestop . . . it certainly doesn't mean they should have access to the product before others. It shouldn't mean they can sell an extra on EBay for profit. Unethical . . . and surely a blight on Gamestop's reputation.

If I can't be comforted by having a preorder . . . I'm going to cause some problems :p.

need help on this eb/gamestop thing? i want to crush them as well. I called eb the night before, they said they would get less then 20 but 10? eh.... sounds like the employies took most the pre orders and i dident get one becuse of that.... now i really hate eb. I already have twighlight princes preorderd thier, but im thinking of just getting it someplace else.

Don't forget that the US release is the only launch on November 19. There is almost a month between that and the rest of the world launches for them to produce even more consoles.

its official .. you wont have a problem gettin a wii .. dont stress it folks

Back