2 VGA Boxes, which to buy

hey

Either of those VGA Boxes look to be fine. BUT, I need to know the model number and such of your monitor, so I can lookup your monitors specs and check if it has support for the required resolutions.

But never the less, I would most recommend CRT based monitors for playing Nintendo Wii games, due to the Native Resolution issue of LCD based displays, which I have mentioned of many times on this forum.

edit
Ohh, and incase you don't already know... you will need the Nintendo Wii Component cables to use these VGA Boxes, which maybe be tricky to get hold of.

BTW, maybe you will find this thread useful.

I almost forgot to mention... if your monitor has Component ports, then you won't even need a VGA Box!

cyas

Last edited:
hey

Well I'm not sure of all the resolutions your monitor supports, as they weren't listed in the specs. Anyhows I assume you will be using a PAL based system, which I heard outputs at the same resolution as the NTSC base systems (at least for progressive scan), which is 480p @ 60Hz. If this is so, then you should be okay, as this is like one of the standard resolutions, and I think most monitors should support it.

Your monitor doesn't seem to have any Component ports, so you would need one of those VGA boxes. Well unless someone figures out how to make a Nintendo Wii VGA cable, then maybe you can just make your own VGA cable, but it would probably be quite tricky, hehe.

cyas

humm ur vga box is nice with HD and all that but ur monitor isent HD capable, monitor dosent support 480p/720p/1080i/p and im not 100% sure on this but i tought that those 480p/720p/1080i/p cant be sent by VGA, it a digital singal which needs DVI.

edit:im wrong those can be sent by VGA connector (RGBHV)

Last edited:
martin8768 said:
humm ur vga box is nice with HD and all that but ur monitor isent HD capable, monitor dosent support 480p/720p/1080i/p and im not 100% sure on this but i tought that those 480p/720p/1080i/p cant be sent by VGA, it a digital singal which needs DVI.

edit:im wrong those can be sent by VGA connector (RGBHV)

My Monitor doesn't support 480p?

well I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure i doesn't
ok yah im sure it dosent now
but if u want a 480p lcd monitor look for a lcd TV that is 480p compatible with a VGA or DVI or composite porte for that VGA box or straight component and use it as TV/computer monitor/wii

Last edited:
only reason I bought this monitor was for the wii :|

ok so i understand it all now the VGA is going to convert the component input, by the way i will need a Wii component cable for 480p, then the box just turns it into a VGA signal. monitor doesn't matter if its 480p or not thats if its a direct connection, because its going throught a vga box no worries it will make it the right resolution i belive. so yah look good should work.

Last edited:
hey

@martin8768: Hmm, well actually I think the VGA Box's output at the same resolution that is input to them, they just convert the signal. Out of interest, why did you say that monitor "dosent support 480p/720p/1080i/p"? What information is this statement based on? Ya know, I think progressive scan is like the standard for computer monitors? I will quote wikipedia below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_scan said:
Progressive scan is used for most CRT computer monitors, as the source signal is progressive by nature (Other CRT-type displays, such as televisions, typically use interlaced displays).

@Revival: Hmm, I would have recommended a CRT based monitor with Component ports for the Nintendo Wii. If you don't know already know, LCD based displays only truely support one resolution, known as the Native Resolution. Other resolutions are just emulated, and arn't of the best quality.

edit
Anyhows, the bottom line... Assuming you get a PAL based system, if the PAL based Nintendo Wii outputs at the same resolution as an NTSC based system of 480p (640x480 @ 60Hz), which I heard it does (see news article HERE and Harkan's comment HERE ), then you should be fine :).

cyas

Last edited:
hey

Me again... I just found another indication that PAL systems do run at 480p, rather than 576p, see below.

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/748/748192p2.html said:
The resolution of the console is set at 50hz 576i (PAL) by default, using the supplied Wii AV composite cables. However, we'd wholly recommend forking out for the component cables (due several days after launch) for a much cleaner, 480p image. The console can also be run at 60hz 480i - however neither the 480p or 60hz 480i modes are compatible with the GameCube software. The system will automatically revert to 576i - which is a bit of a shame.

So I don't think you could display GameCube games on your monitor, as I doubt your monitor would support 720x576 @ 50Hz Interlaced or even in Progressive Scan. You should also take note, that I think no PAL based GameCube games support 480p, even though many of the same NTSC based games do.

edit
Just wanted to say that what I would recommend for displaying the Nintendo Wii is a cheap CRT based EDTV or HDTV :).

cyas

Last edited:
oh well at first i 4got about the vgabox, lol should pay more attention lol, so i tought the wii was gona be connected directly to the monitor, which is impossbile, and ur monitor is LCD not CRT but dosent matter should all work with prog scan.

Hey, Im a student, my rooms little and my CRT monitor only accepts VGA input, and is on top of a closet, as is my TV only accepting scart and ariel, both of which are VERY TINY.

I need to use this LCD screen, which of the two vga boxes will give me the best image?

well theirs really no diffrence both give the same image, i would go with the cheaper one, both have same features, input switching, etc. both have 480p so get the less expensive one.

Back