360 for High Def Impaired

Maximo

Wii Fanatic
Dec 31, 2006
Mckeesport,PA
Wii Online Code
0558-5461-4916-6731
Some people may know about this some may not. I was so angry when i got Dead Rising because I couldn't read the text so I was lost most of the time (along with the crappy survivor AI lol) anywho the other day I thought maybe by now someone has to have come up with a workaround for this issue.

That's when I discovered a 1up article where Capcom gave suggestions on how to make the text more readable for us standard def users. So i figured hell i'll give it a try (considering i almost traded this game in because of this problem)

The fix was change your screen format on the xbox from standard to widescreen. This can be found by going into Console Settings>Display>Screen Format. After I changed it everything was blown up in size ,and to my surprise upon loading up Dead Rising I COULD ACTUALLY READ THE TEXT...imagine that.

So I then decieded to test different games in this format (particulary ones that I could read the text ,but it was a little bit difficult) here's what I found so far

IMPROVED BY WIDESCREEN MODE

Dead Rising- makes the text readable

Lost Planet- makes the text more readable ,and also removes the letterbox the con to this is a slight bit of your hud on the bottom corners gets cut off

Crackdown- makes text more readable ,and removes letter box

Rez HD- same as the others

UNIMPROVED BY WIDESCREEN MODE

so far I only found ,and tested

Halo 3- it didn't seem to have much of a negative effect on solo players ,but when playing split screen the view is squished thanks to black bars appearing on the left ,and right.

I haven't tested it yet ,but i don't think games from around launch like Perfect Dark ,and Condemed will see much an improvement from this either because they didn't have letterbox ,or unreadable text issues.

Like I said some if not most of you may have knew this although I thought it would be an interesting bit of information to pass around. I know it has helped me enjoy my 360 games a bit more.:smilewinkgrin:

I only recently started using my 720p plasma monitor and the only game that I really had a problem reading was Dead Rising, every other game was fine. Also you should try turning up the sharpness on your TV.

Or
You could get a pc cable for it
MMMMMMMMMMMM
Big arse moniter

the whole idea is fixing the problem without having to purchase extra things

yeah dead risings text was gay as what. main reason i traded it in right there. made the game difficult to play.

Maximo said:
the whole idea is fixing the problem without having to purchase extra things
£15
And you can play the games at nearly full res

It only cost me $15 for 720p res :) Thats like £7

I bought a pelican airflow cooler with the VGA output that was 50% off. I sawed off the fan part of the cooler so that it doesn't overheat my 360 :p

Back