360 Most Reliable Console?

Yeah its something like 30%.
I don't think you can say the console itself is reliable, but the service Microsoft give for broken consoles is reliable. 2 Of my friends recently got the rrod, for one it took 2 weeks and he got a month free gold and my other friend's took 7 weeks and he got £50 worth of gear and games :p
Where'd you get that xbox signature from T3kNi9e?

Thats not bad service at all... ive heard it both ways on the State side.. eaither they were taken care of well or not at all...

I bet they treat the overseas markets better, just to try to keep them..

this warranty covers the 3 red rings of death, all other forms of failure are just as common as you see problems with the wii or ps3. 360 has a 3 year warranty, meaning, when ps3 and wii owner's 1 year warranty is up, if they fail after that they have to pay, whilst 360 is matching its number of hardware failures to a 3 year warranty. you guys still find stuff to ***** about and a few of you dont even own 360s from what i can guess.

frummage, those stats you posted at complete bullshit, dont even bother posting stuff like that, unless you have some site thats like ps3fanboy.com saying it so we can all laugh at you for believing it.

newer 360s do not get rrod as often (has anyone who got a 360 for christmas even got it? because i havent heard anything about those 360s yet), and you know what? 360 has the best games number of awesome games out of any console out right now. people play 360s a LOT and get the rrod, which is why they care about having to be without it for a couple weeks, its obviously a great console when people go on the forums to ***** because they cant have their 360 for a couple weeks and justifies it.

T3kNi9e said:
Yeah they lost alot of money.

Edit: or atleast I thought they did. I think my calculator is broke. I Multiplied $270 x 17.7 million but the number is huge, it doesnt seem right. According my calc its $4,779,000,000. Wtf? Can someone else try it, according to that, even with the billion dollars wasted on warranty, they still make close to 3.78 billion dollars. Its actually more, because I went by the price for the cheapest console. Thats crazy, I actually thought they would lose more than they gained. I didnt think it could make that much. Unless my calc is wrong.
they actually loose money per console sold

Last edited:
ya i know they didn't make alot, every one always pops up charts showing like 30 bucks per system...

but if a 5th of the overall sales is put back into fixing consoles, they can't be making any profit on consoles yet.

It doesnt matter they have a very effective marketing plan for the future...lol

20080107.jpg

wezeles said:
and it cost them 1 billion so far... jesus, i know gates has money to spare but he plans on retiring soon... hes gonna have to say goodbye to that new submarine he wanted...

How profitable could the 360 be after that? i thought they were turning a profit? a small one but a profit the same...

how can you turn a profit when you dedicate 1 billion dollars to fix what you already sold?

The 1 Billion is probably a write down only on their books. The way it works is this:

When a company offers warranties, they automatically have to take a write down based on a formula. Lets say they think 25% of consoles will need to be replaced, so they use the amount of units sold, times the percent, times the repair costs. Thats the write down they took. Its really only on paper.

Once the three years is up, any consoles they didnt need to get repaired, will have the write down added back, and Microsoft will have a gain on their books, but again, only on paper...not an actual cash gain.

T3kNi9e said:
Yeah they lost alot of money.

Edit: or atleast I thought they did. I think my calculator is broke. I Multiplied $270 x 17.7 million but the number is huge, it doesnt seem right. According my calc its $4,779,000,000. Wtf? Can someone else try it, according to that, even with the billion dollars wasted on warranty, they still make close to 3.78 billion dollars. Its actually more, because I went by the price for the cheapest console. Thats crazy, I actually thought they would lose more than they gained. I didnt think it could make that much. Unless my calc is wrong.

You forgot what it costs to make the consoles...

Oh yeah I forgot that.

But yeah, even though it has so much hardware failure I never really cared because 3 year warranty and there's so many good games on it that it made the 360 worth it.

most reliable console? hell no. most reliable customer service? yes. microsoft is very good about repairing/replacing defective consoles.

Bill's a nice guy and all, and the newer 360 models may be alot more reliable. But I wouldn't go as far as saying the most reliable console ever, I give that one to the Sega Genesis.

But what some people seem to not realize is that the older models are mixed on the shelves with the newer models, thus resulting in the customers doing the luck of the draw thing. You'll either pick up the older model which will eventually die on you, or you'll either pick up the newer model.

Which in my opinion, blows.

kinda wierd that they just didnt do an in store recall once they found out it effected that many systems... im sure they could have just said "send back models from this to this manufactured date" then atleast they wouldnt have to worry about the customers even having one.... just fix them and ship them right back out again...

I think thats the first time in history that anything has had a 30% fail rate and customers still keep it or have it fixed, shows that xbox has some dedicated customers for sure... most peope would say screw you give me my money back... im sure a few have done just that but apparently not enough to really effect sales... they seem to be keeping there steady pace upwards

Because regardless of the failure rate, Microsoft does repair it for free and for 3 years at that. Ive never had a piece of electronic equipment that I payed this much for and get 3 year warranty for free. Atleast nothing that I know of... Also the games are so fun its hard to turn your back on it, assuming Xbox has the type of games you like. So obviously if your a casual gamer either you wouldnt stand for this, or you barely use it anyway so your Xbox doesnt fry on you. My Xbox would only get somewhat warm after hours of play. But a few weeks ago I got a cooling unit and now it stays cool to the touch even after hours of playing. So im assuming I shouldnt have a problem.

Oh and I doubt the older models are still out their. They stopped production and the older ones and started the new ones on July I think. Those have a new GPU heatsink. In September they started making it with a whole new motherboard with 65nm CPU's which are more quiet and stay cooler. So I guessing if something goes wrong with mine, they will replace it with a newer version (I hope...) so that the chances of it happening again are slim, therefore saving both me and microsoft time and them money.

T3kNi9e said:
Oh and I doubt the older models are still out their.
you'll be suprised.

i bought a 360 for my son at the end of November (07) and at the same
time a couple of guys i work with bought one too (argos uk, were doing
a good bundle for £249.99 at the time).

when we got them back to work, one of the guys wanted to have a look
at his console and was pleasantly suprised to see it was a newer HDMI
model. i then took a look at the one i'd bought and was dismayed to see
it was an older model, which upon further inspection had an October 06
manufacturer date.

luckily i was able to take it back and get the HDMI version that evening.

Ste

Back