360 Motion. "You are the Controller"

daviduk200

The XBOX 360 Guy
Jul 18, 2007
Scotland
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
So the motion controller was a rumour to divert out attention from the 360 real motion sensor camera.

which claims to read out every movement, host voice recognition and facial detection. if this works as well as they claim then this should be good.

We all knew it was coming, well here we go! The simple tagline explains it all, "You are the controller!" There will be a motion sensoring camera that sense your every move, from driving to fighting. You will use your entire body to enteract with the game with the use of full body motion capture. You can use your own gear to scan images, such as a skateboard that will be translated directly into the game.
This new feature will also include voice recognition, for areas such as game shows where you will be able to shout out the answers and the game will understand what you say.
The device is shown at the end of the trailer, pictures coming soon. I guess the motion sensor controller and the game was nothing but a rumor, but the motion sensor idea is indeed alive!
It is announced to be called Project Natal and will work with every Xbox 360 as well as being sold with Xbox 360s in the future.
Steven Spielberg comes on to talk about how this new technology will revolutionize gaming by allowing anybody to play video games by using your entire being instead of being hindered by a controller. Looks interesting indeed..
A demo is shown, starting with the Dashboard. As soon as you turn your Xbox 360 on, you will be automatically signed in because Project Natal will recognize you based on facial recognition. Wow! Also, you can navigate the Dashboard menus by moving your hands. The game Ricochet is demoed, which is basically Breakout, where your body is the paddle. The game recognizes your every body movement from head to toe. The technology will also allow multiple people to be recognized at once, allowing multiplayer games in the same room.
The second game demoed is Paint Party, which also recognizes voice recognition by saying colors or actions, and you use your hands you are able to splash colors onto the canvas. When forming actual pictures, you can use photo recognition by posing and forming a stencil. Kind of corny, but the way the motion sensor capabilities work are absolutely amazing!
Peter Molyneux comes out and shows a video enacting Natal in work and how innovative this technology can become. The video shows a boy named as Milo that is able to interactive directly with the person playing it, and is able to recognize what is said. Claire, the girl playing this interactive demo, was able to draw on a sheet of paper, hold it up to Milo, who then took it and was able to recognize everything including the color.

This all sounds great and all but I have three problems with it.
1. The price will no doubt be outragous. This technology for a home entertainment system? No cheap price and that's a big turn off for me.
2. This technology seems a bit too good right now. I don't see Project Natal coming to the public for another 2+ years.
3. Limited room space. Idk about you guys, but my room is not at all (in this subject) gamer friendly.

This all sounds great and all but I have three problems with it.
1. The price will no doubt be outragous. This technology for a home entertainment system? No cheap price and that's a big turn off for me.
2. This technology seems a bit too good right now. I don't see Project Natal coming to the public for another 2+ years.
3. Limited room space. Idk about you guys, but my room is not at all (in this subject) gamer friendly.

my old room was tiny, but somehow i always managed to find room for my PS2 eye toy. you never know it might now need that much room.

im assuming the camera is going to be exceptionally good quality at least 5-8 Megapixels in order to do face recognition. also will need a good mic for voice recognition. and i would be worried about the price, but if it wasnt for the facet its will be bundled with future consoles id be worried

though the guy with the Avatar copying him, made it look like it didn't work at all rofl.

lolz when i saw that I was thinking "wtf, do they not realize how crappy that looks?"

Like others said, if it works as well as they claim it does/will, I will definitely be getting this.

We'll have to see how this camera will be implemented...it'd be very very interesting to see what they could do.

The Avatar demo shows that this tech is far from polished. Real games for this (non-mini games) probably won't be out until 2011-2012. If Microsoft pulls this off in the near future, it looks like the next Wii HD has some real competition.

Project Natal looks amazing to me. Facial and voice recognition, full body tracking, a built in camera. Looks pretty BA

i love that it tracks and allows you to move in 3d space in the game. imagine the ways that could be implemented into real games eventually.

Looks cool, though the guy with the Avatar copying him, made it look like it didn't work at all rofl.
If it's good as it say it is, I'll get it.

I couldn't help but laugh at it also...

"Ever wonder what the bottom of an Avatar's shoe looks like?... *bends and twists arms in non-humanly possible ways and fails to show bottom of shoe*.. there ya go.."

I'm looking forward to this project as well, but I doubt it will be very expensive.. I don't think any everyday gamer is going to spend over $100 for a more highly advanced alternative to the Eye Toy. I'd imagine an $80 price tag up to $100 at the most.. but any higher and I can't see it selling it very well.

Also, like many others.. I'm a bit skeptical about Lionhead's Natal demo of Milo. I can't help but feel it was scripted in parts, but at the same time.. if it's indeed real.. then I'm speechless. It would be sadly limited if his voice is a bundle of voice clips off the disc and not some highly advanced speech synthesis.

sony's was way cooler. far more impressive and it seemed to be working better than project natal.

It looks interesting, if it works then it may be worth a purchase if games start to use it. ^ Yeah I think Sony's looks a lot smoother and accurate. Looking forward to how they both play out.

Haven't watched MS's E3 Keynote yet, but I have heard enough about Natal to know its concept.

Not going to make any final judgements until I see the thing for myself in the video, but for now, I feel like Sony's wiimote killer is much more practical and effective for near future in that it can actually be used to expand the existing gameplay of core gamer games (FPS mode, RTS, etc.). Given the concept of Natal, I don't see how it could be used in the same way.

[video=youtube;pXN7vLPsDSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXN7vLPsDSM&fmt=18[/video]

Sucked the coolness out of it.
No price, no release date, no games, no name.
Microsoft just loves to release $h!t out to the public way too early.

Back