3D on the Wii

betabob2000

WiiChat Member
Nov 22, 2006
I turned on Mario kart wii today and accidentally hit the 3d button on my remote. Shockingly, it actually displays in full 3d. Did anyone know the wii had this capability?

Well, it's certainly not the Wii. I'd imagine your TV is just converting what's on screen to be 3D compatible.

And if that's not how 3D TV works, you're just trolling us. :lol:

Trust me... I love trolling, but thats not what I'm doing right now lol. I see no way that the tv could convert it. It only receives the image, no information about the depth. I just tested it on smash bros as well. It works on there as well.

I really wish you could come here and see it then, because these are absolutely 3d images. My tv is the LG 47LW5600. It uses the new passive 3d technology, which means instead of needing a signal that switches between the two images and uses active glasses, it uses scan lines and passive glasses. Because of this, there are no requirements for higher bandwidths on the signal. There is literally no way for the tv to post convert the image... no computer is powerful enough to analyze an image and interpret depth from it in real time. To the best of my knowledge, there is no program capable of doing this even if the computer was powerful enough.

Instead of writing this post off as trolling, I suggest you do some research on it. This is absolutely 100% true, and for some reason I cant find a shred of evidence online that supports my claim. Every link I find about it just talks about the Wii U supporting 3d.

The wii its self does not out put the 3D that people think of
The games may be in 3D worlds, but them them selfs are not 3D display wise.

3D is a fad that needs to bugger off again like it did in the 80s

It's not that it is a 3d world. It is displaying with depth. i.e. the ground in mario kart can visibly be seen to stretch off into the distance. Even the menus in brawl are 3d.

And no, 3d is not just a fad. In the beginning, we had black and white televisions, then we invented color tv's to better match reality. We brought sound recording into television and movies to better match reality. We invented widescreen televisions because our real vision is panoramic, not square like the traditional set. We invented HD because the definition it displays better matches what we find in reality. We use high definition audio because it matches what we find in reality.

The fact of the matter is, depth is a part of reality. The technology may not yet be perfect enough to become big yet, but it is only a matter of time. Nothing will stop the human race from achieving a more realistic portrayal of reality. You can argue against it all you want, but it is only matter of time before the level of technology meets the demands of the general populace.

The fact of the matter is, depth is a part of reality. The technology may not yet be perfect enough to become big yet, but it is only a matter of time. Nothing will stop the human race from achieving a more realistic portrayal of reality. You can argue against it all you want, but it is only matter of time before the level of technology meets the demands of the general populace.

A fad is any form of behavior that develops among a large population and is collectively followed with enthusiasm for some period, generally as a result of the behavior's being perceived as novel in some way.

... It's a fad, lol. Without a doubt. Regardless, I'm certainly not saying I want it gone or arguing against it's existence, I plain-don't like it, simply put. Even if you don't want to accept it fits the definition of a fad, it's certainly a gimmick. It's a 100% unnecessary technology for TV, as is HD, Blu-ray and even color. 3D is nothing more than a wow factor. It does not make TV or Movie entertainment any better, unless you enjoy said gimmick. And if people can't enjoy something without gimmicks, I would generally stereotype them as a bigot.

So as my own logic follows, a large portion of a society(s) is needed to create a fad and/or gimmick. Thus, I come to the conclusion that the most common level of intelligence in every society, is a bunch of bigots. Most fads created by said idiots are most likely going to be gimmicks to entertain such simplistic minds, and therefore nothing of true quality or brilliance.

In short, fads and gimmicks like 3D are unnecessary conversation pieces spawned by the stupidity of humanity, or simply globalized by said idiocracies. Regardless of whether or not a fad in question is a gimmick or something genuinely worthwhile should be left to each individual case (3D will ABSOLUTELY have scientific uses once it's advanced enough), but for the most part, fads like 3D aren't worth the money or time for consumers to experience it repeatedly. Unless you're a sheep and jumping on the bandwagon is your idea of fun, but that's for another time...

POINT BEING! 3D entertainment is, in essence, fail.

I am talking about television as an evolving technology that, over the years, has aspired to be as similar to reality as is possible, and the addition of depth to tv and games is just one more step in that direction.

At any rate, that is not the point of this thread. I am telling you, absolutely 100%, that the wii has the capability to output in 3d to my LGLW5600. I know 3d well when I see it. This is not just "3d worlds" as you said. It is 3d as in is has the capability to display things that look like they are coming out of the screen, or far off in the distance, using stereoscopic images rendered from different angles.

and if you believe that color on television is a fad or a gimmick, then we have a fundamental disagreement, and there is no point in discussing it further. I can not agree that color is just an unnecessary fad

Last edited by a moderator:
I am talking about television as an evolving technology that, over the years, has aspired to be as similar to reality as is possible, and the addition of depth to tv and games is just one more step in that direction.

And I am talking about these technological advancements are simply unnecessary for entertainment purposes. For anything else otherwise though, as I mentioned very briefly, such advances could have life saving uses some time in the future.

At any rate, that is not the point of this thread.

True enough. :lol: That small discussion was quite the tangent.

To create a 3D image for a 3D TV, the Wii would have to render everything twice, once for the left eye and once for the right eye. The software would have to be written to do that and the hardware would have to be able to generate them fast enough and be able to output them in a format recognized by 3D TV's. The Wii does not do this. Why would the Mario Kart programmers write double image generation into the software when the hardware itself can't do the rest? What I believe you are seeing is an unusual visual artifact that ends up looking similar to things designed specifically for 3D, but it's not something the Wii is doing on purpose.

can you please make a video of this because right now it does look like your trolling and please dont respond with a witty answer.......

Back