4.2 update

wildginger

WiiChat Member
Oct 6, 2009
Grantham, Lincs, England
Wii Online Code
1111-1111-1111-1111
Hi there, noob here...

With all the consoles reported being broken by 4.2, and now Nintendo have said they will fix non-modded consoles if the 4.2 has broken them, I have a question about my wii.

A long time ago, I used zelda tp to allow me to install the homebrew channel for the sole purpose of being able to play about writing my own mini games, as I am a software developer. For the last year or so, the homebrew channel has been sat there untouched. Was good fun for the novelty factor for the first day or so and then never got used again.

Now, I have never used it for piracy reasons, and to be honest have not even looked into how that would be done, as quite frankly, I have always and will always buy my console games, but I am a bit concerned about the problems people have had with the 4.2 update breaking consoles.

My question is, if I install the 4.2 update, I understand the homebrew channel will either disappear or stop working? If so, absolutely fine, I have no use for it, and they can gladly have it :) But if something goes wrong, as has been reported by certain non-modded wii owners, will my wii be considered as "modded" for having this channel on there?

As I say, it has the homebrew channel, a dvd player that never did work, and I cant even remember what else is on there. Just dont want to risk bricking it if Nintendo are going to turn around and say "Its a modded wii, sorry"...

Thanks for any info,

James.

You could always just delete the homebrew channel first, that way in the unlikely event there is a problem, they can't point to the homebrew channel as the culprit (which is not the culprit in the first place).

Keep in mind that the vast millions of Wii's out there have had no problems with the 4.2 update.

Good point, its been that long since I put it on there, I had no idea it was deletable.

I shall do that and install, as you say, millions have been fine.

One thing I didnt think about though is my warrenty's going to be void anyway, as mine developed an extremely noisy disc drive (when spinning), and to fix it required me opening it up, putting a dent in the middle of the disc clamp etc...

Anyway, cheers for the reply, I shall remove the homebrew channel anyway, and get the update installed.

Cheers,

James.

But even if you uninstall it can't they dig in the hidden files and see it. Like when you trash files on a pc they really are not gone.

My Wii totally crashed once this happened...

So i bought a new one!!!

Check out my signature to see how!

They probably can, but at the end of the day, yes I put the homebrew channel on, but thats all, nothing further, I'm sure they aren't bothered about that.

Back