$400 PS3 coming?

sagema said:
I said they are working on a 40gb version. The rumor was confirmed. An estimated US launch of next month. This is a 40gb version at $400(unofficial). The catch? No backwards compatibility. Thoughts? Will this put Sony's sales up there this holiday?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_b...ct=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;1
Quote me if I am wrong, but the lack of backwards compatibility to more harm than good? They are *STILL* releasing PS2 titles, so would this be an attempt to encourage developers (and players) to finally step off there most popular PS2 platform?

I heard something about this, however it was to be the European version and won't be available for the U.S.

hmmm. Makes me want to go and buy a 60GB PS3 before they're all gone. Smart move by Sony?

I personally think that it is a great idea. If I was to purchase this version, I would still have my PS2 out on the table so that I can play on both consoles. I would be more than happy to use the PS3 for only PS3 games and downloads.

Byuakuya said:
I personally think that it is a great idea. If I was to purchase this version, I would still have my PS2 out on the table so that I can play on both consoles. I would be more than happy to use the PS3 for only PS3 games and downloads.

Same with me it would be annoying but if just switching chords saved me 200 dollars I'd do it.

im liking this...might actually consider getting one of these.

This is the version I have been waiting for. When it's released in the US I will have a brand new PS3 sitting under my television next to the Wii, Saturn, Dreamcast, and Xbox.

This creates a semi-confusing mix of console versions - I think once the reference specification is set (for the PS3) it should stay the same. It has BD, PS2 backwards compatibility [BC], X memory, Y ports, etc.

Having BC seems to be SOP too - the Wii does it, the 360 does it, the previous gen PS2 did it (all with varying degrees of success). It doesn't seem like the EE/GS chip to handle this on the PS3 would have much associated cost.

I agree though that my interest in owning a PS3 (or not) isn't motivated by BC. Though funny enough, I'm finishing up Metroid 2 on the Wii (and wouldn't have had the Wii not had BC - once the GC got removed from the entertainment area it was done - we actually gave it away!)

~DT

sherwood3570 said:
Dreamcast

In addition to giving away our GC, I just (shipping today in fact) gave away a bunch of DC games! Keeping a few (for some reason, doubt they'll ever be played again) including Seaman :D

The PS2 is the greatest selling console in history with over 110 million units sold worldwide. It's still outselling all current next gen consoles. I don't know about you guys, but my PS2 is dying. I don't like the idea of buying a new PS2 because the PS3 doesn't do BC. I'm going to hang around the stores and see how this 40gb PS3 fairs for X-mas.

I know it sounds cruel, but if Sony wants to sell more PS3's they need to cancel the PS2. Microsoft did that with the Xbox, when they launched the 360. If people can still buy the PS2, they will, in fact according to current sales they still are.

But only PSP and PS2 are making money for SONY, the profit from them offset the loss from PS3. If SONY stop PS2, they will be in deeper $hit, becasue loss of PS2 sales is far greater than the increase of "loss" on PS3. xD

Back