480i and 480p

codeking

Computer Nerd, not Geek
Nov 16, 2006
Everybody is talking about getting 480p component cables. Are the normal cables 480i?

I wouldn't suggest getting those cables, because MOST TVs convert 480i to 480p (I think)

That is dumb. Why can't they just include those 480p cables? non-HD is bad enough, but 480i?

Keeps costs down for the system.

Besides, the majority of people don't own a T.V with the ability to use progressive scan. If they just included those cables, a great chunk of people couldn't use the Wii at all. By only including the standard AV connections everyone can use the system (even if you have component cable inputs and a HDTV you should still have the standard AV connections on your TV).

Last edited:
There is no way you should still be playing games on an old 4x3 standard def tv. HD sets are nearing 10 years old world wide. Get a job, and get a real tv. There's really a huge difference. Even with my gamecube, we play it on a 55" mitsubishi and it's stunning and fun x 10.
Wireless controlers, surround and a big picture. You really get involved.

zekmoe said:
There is no way you should still be playing games on an old 4x3 standard def tv. HD sets are nearing 10 years old world wide. Get a job, and get a real tv. There's really a huge difference. Even with my gamecube, we play it on a 55" mitsubishi and it's stunning and fun x 10.
Wireless controlers, surround and a big picture. You really get involved.
We are all so sorry we cant fork out as much money as you can

Well if you want a good one, I go for quality, I guess I shouldnt complain I mean I have an awesome surround system...

btw I am also talking about BIG TVs, not smaller ones

pizzaluvr said:
oh, you never said anything about that in the original post, yes... big ones are pretty expensive
Sorry bout that, I shouldve said something before... :rolleyes:

...I am going to sound like a moron, but, those component cables work for non HD TVs dont they?

i thought you where just talking about hd in general

and they will if it has component, it will give you a better picture no matter what

If your TV has component ins, get the cables. Even if it isn't HD. And if you do have an HDTV, there is no reason why you shouldn't be getting them.

ABC is right. I won't take the time to explain it again, but the OP might want to do a search on component cables.

'Progressive scan cables', or, component cables, are analog, as well.

$200 won't get you a 21" LCD - I've looked. If you want an LCD that will put out 480p, the cheapest one is going to run you about $357 (Sanyo 20" LCD EDTV at Wal-Mart). I don't consider anything less than 20" a television capable of gaming, so there are probably cheaper 15" EDTVs, but why bother, eh?

Back