480i or 480p?

sl2obel2ts

WiiChat Member
Mar 20, 2007
I got a 32" 720p hdtv... I am currently using 480i the regular cable that nintendo gave me. wow... its blurry. will it improve if I get the component cable?

I personally think it looks better in 480p for many games....unfortunatly in some games you see some defects (textures..etc)....

but its still worth the money....

You said it's blurry? I don't have an HDTV (I know, I'm living in the stone age) and I don't notice any type of blurring or anything. I wouldn't say it looks great, or as good as the 360 even, but it is prety crisp. Is your problem common? or is it possible that something is wrong with your cord/connectors?

It's either the tv, or the placebo effect.

You only see "blurry" because you want to buy component cables anyway. You can't tell the difference until AFTER you buy them anyways.

You know you want them, so go get them.

to me the difference between composite and component was HUGE. Definetely worth it IMO. Not only for the clearer picture (much clearer) but for the smoother movement too (progressive scan). 32" LCD TV

its blury cause it isnt outputting an hd signal
a way to fix this without buying the new cables is seeing if your tv has a picture format setup in the menu (it should) and you can look through the options and one of them is to make it viewed in regular format, but this creates huge black bars on either side of your tv, but itll make the games look better, or atleast until you get a component cable
btw 480i isnt hd

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162297/p-2.html

Scroll over the picture (composite) for the same picture in component
The textures appear sharper and maybe "less" blurry to you but its all opinion i guess

Some component cables (Asid) go for $10-15 while others are $40 so it may not be worth the investment

but in the end its your money and your choice, hope i have been helpful

thetrufinder said:
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162297/p-2.html

Scroll over the picture (composite) for the same picture in component
The textures appear sharper and maybe "less" blurry to you but its all opinion i guess

Some component cables (Asid) go for $10-15 while others are $40 so it may not be worth the investment

but in the end its your money and your choice, hope i have been helpful
Wow, Zelda really looks better... I wish I had a plasma or LCD TV :(

Zarogan said:
Wow, Zelda really looks better... I wish I had a plasma or LCD TV :(
You don't need a Plasma/LCD TV, just an EDTV which are fairly cheap. I doubt you would even be able to tell the difference though unless you had them both setup next to each other to compare it. Also, looking at that I think I would prefer composite as component reveals all the imperfections and jaggies that would other wise be hidden.

Last edited:
paintba||er said:

You don't need a Plasma/LCD TV, just an EDTV which are fairly cheap. I doubt you would even be able to tell the difference though unless you had them both setup next to each other to compare it.
Really? I thought only Plasma or LCD TVs could support ED and HD.
Do they make EDTVs with the 19:3 format? Because I can only find LCDs or Plasmas with widescreen.

Zarogan said:
Really? I thought only Plasma or LCD TVs could support ED and HD.
Do they make EDTVs with the 19:3 format? Because I can only find LCDs or Plasmas with widescreen.

iirc, samsung do a CRT which supports high def. i'm unsure as to what
connections it offers, though i'd guess that it's component rather than
HDMI.

problem is, the picture geometry is **** compared to an LCD.

also...480p is f*****g shed loads better that 480i.

i originally had my Wii on 576i (worst PAL resolution) and changing
over to 480p is noticeably better. pity the PAL Wii doesn't support
576p, that would be even better.

If yourTV can take 480i then USE IT!!!!!

Nobody can say 480p looks the same as 480i if they do then they are sstupid liars.

sorry again i'm new

but i've got a large HDTV but when i try to select HDTV/EDTV it's greyed out so i can't select it

grr any help

do i need and HD edft connection cable or a wireless fire wire link
or do i need to put an av HDTV connection link cable into the back of the tv

should be easier than this

i don't wana pay £100 for a silly conection when i could buy a new D tv for the same price​

lilg said:
sorry again i'm new

but i've got a large HDTV but when i try to select HDTV/EDTV it's greyed out so i can't select it

grr any help

do i need and HD edft connection cable or a wireless fire wire link
or do i need to put an av HDTV connection link cable into the back of the tv

should be easier than this

i don't wana pay £100 for a silly conection when i could buy a new D tv for the same price​

£100? what?!

you need Component cables.

Make sure your tv can take them (most likely)

Back