480p stretching problems?

dedpoet777

\/\/ii'd Out For Life
Dec 20, 2006
Surfside Beach, SC
Wii Online Code
0792-2476-6769-9631
ok i have an rca flat screen tube tv. it is an hdtv but as i said it has a tube. it supports up to 1080i. it is a 4:3 ratio screen. when i switch the wii over to 480p after the screen refreshes it comes back and the bottom is cut off the screen. it is not running in wide screen. i was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue on a 4:3 screen running in 480p(not regular 480i). im trying to figure out if it is the wii or the tv doing this. thank you.

Ouch...you just triple POSTED. You're gonna get UBER FLAMED by these guys.

Edit: It's not even triple POSTED. It's triple...threaded?

Oh shizzle! I didn't do that! At least...not on purpose...WTF!

Edit: I think something's wrong with WiiChat's server or w/e...it just said that they were sending some message to the admins or something...that's probably it since both me and him triple posted.

Last edited:
yeah sorry i didnt triple post either i think it was the site that did it. it was acting kinda weird when i posted. so i did not mean to triple thread. i dont know if my browserdid it or the site or what but the site is acting really laggy to me right now.

Isn't there some setting in the menu system to choose aspect ratio? Under Screen?

odd issue dude,

However something comes to mind, maybe your tv is in 4:3:zoom, for the aspect ratio?

yeah i think ive figured it out actually so hopefully this thread will help someone else. i went over to my boys house that has an hd tv as well but his tv is the normal hd resolution. so when he puts his on 480p it stretches his too but you can barely notice because his is not 4:3. so i think nintendo maybe forgot to think about people having 4:3 hdtvs and therefore made the image stretch in order to maybe fit the regular hdtv's. its a new tv rca put out and it is a tube tv with hd on it. hopefully nintendo will address this issue because i think more of the flat screen tube tv's will start to be hdtv's as well. im going to let them know about it and also let them know that in the future this may prove to me more of a problem for people. but the wii does look very good through 480p. thanks anyway guys.

You definitely want to look for an aspect ratio setting in addition. 480p can mean either 640x480 (4:3) or 720x480 (16:9) as the 480 simply refers to the horizontal resolution...

yeah i know....i just wish that nintendo had the option to adjust the screen up and down like you can side to side in its options. then id have no problem at all. but my tv auto senses the resolution it needs so i have no way to adjust it. oh well, hopefully nintendo will fix it. all theyd have to do is put out an option to move it up and down too then no one would have any problems with it fitting on the screen.

Back