Video turns off when playing virtual console games

mberneis

WiiChat Member
Nov 25, 2006
Wii Online Code
5306-1546-7978-7261
[I posted this before in the 'wrong' forum]

I downloaded a virtual console game (Sonic) and when I start accessing it the video blacks out (says "No Signal" on my TV) (sound is still ok). I am running the video through my Yamaha AV which video-upscales to component Video, displaying it on my Panasonic 42" plasma.
It seems that the Video-signals change when running virtual console games and the HSync/VSync signals are off so some component in the video path is unable to synchronize the signal anymore. When I press "Home" the picture comes back with the "RESET" / "Wii MENU" buttons.
All other games run perfectly - its just the virtual console channel which has this problem

Anybody else had a similar experience? - I heard about people complaining that the Virtual console games would be stretched on a wide-screen display. Maybe both problems could be fixed in a firmware update?

Is this forum monitored by Wii support as well or is this only a user community?

Just change the res to 4:3 while your playing your VC games. Its in the options while you play.

Nope - this does not help either. - Any other ideas?

I am having the same problem, except my video blinks to where I can see the VC game, but it is on a second then off a second... Not nearly playable... This happens on NES, SNES, Genesis VC games, does not happen on N64 or TG16 games. When you open up the VC menu (blue house) the flickering stops and I can see the pictue in the background.

My Wii is connected via out of the box composite cables (Yellow, Red, White (Audio)) to my Dell 50" plasma. I have ordered component and am hoping that will fix it, but am not sure. Have also changed the aspect mode of the TV without any change

same problem here, with dell plasma 42" screen goes black and says composite one, then you see the virtual console game for a second then black, repeadetly.

OK, I am posting from my blackberry, so be easy on me. I wanted to report back ASAP.

I got home tonight and found my wii component cables ordered from nintendo's website had made it.

Plugged them in and changed the settings in wii setup to 480p and jumped into a game of Solomon's key... No flickering. Next, tried Sonic, again no flickering!!!!

Very good news, I hope for everyone else as well!

Same problem here!

Just posted to another newer thread, too, but will repeat here. We're running HDMI to the tv from our a/v receiver - regular included rca cables from the Wii to the a/v receiver. Everything works great except the virtual console games - you can hear sound but no pic, but menu comes up and you can see the game in the background.

I tried toggling aspect ratio and my next step was going to be connecting the rca direct to the tv but sounds like that won't work either. It's promising component cables work for someone!

mberneis said:
[I posted this before in the 'wrong' forum]
I downloaded a virtual console game (Sonic) and when I start accessing it the video blacks out (says "No Signal" on my TV) (sound is still ok). I am running the video through my Yamaha AV which video-upscales to component Video, displaying it on my Panasonic 42" plasma.

I posted this problem to another thread since I can't "see" the NES games on my LCD screen. Evidently they also don't work on the Plasma. I have called Nintendo twice and was promised a return call and never got it. I have emailed support twice and got no response. Obviously this is a major glitch in the VC. It is interesting that the N64 game Super Mario does work, just none of the NES.

Its because the VC games run at different refresh rates on the screen I believe, IGN AU put a post about this on their website with the refresh rates being a bit different and whatnot. I'm not sure if this is the exact reason, but its something to keep in mind.

Other than that, your best bet is to call Nintendo on this.

FOUND A FIX!

I found and purchased a component cable today. Hooked it up, changed the setting on the Wii to 480p, and at first it didn't seem to work. I tried changing the aspect ratio on the tv and Wii in every combination and was about to give up when I got it to work!

Here's the trick (at least for me).
1. Hook up component cables
2. Change setting on the Wii to 480p
3. Start the virtual console game (it will be blank at first)
4. Hit the home button to pull up the Wii menu options over the top of the game screen (you'll see the game screen in the background).
5. Hit the continue button at the top right. When the menu goes away, the game will stay!

I had to go through steps 3-5 any time I started a virtual game, but it works every time! So hopefully there's a firmware fix for this down the road, but for now I can at least play.

tivogirl said:
FOUND A FIX!

I found and purchased a component cable today. Hooked it up, changed the setting on the Wii to 480p, and at first it didn't seem to work. I tried changing the aspect ratio on the tv and Wii in every combination and was about to give up when I got it to work!

Here's the trick (at least for me).
1. Hook up component cables
2. Change setting on the Wii to 480p
3. Start the virtual console game (it will be blank at first)
4. Hit the home button to pull up the Wii menu options over the top of the game screen (you'll see the game screen in the background).
5. Hit the continue button at the top right. When the menu goes away, the game will stay!

I had to go through steps 3-5 any time I started a virtual game, but it works every time! So hopefully there's a firmware fix for this down the road, but for now I can at least play.

Have you tried these same steps without the component cables? Just to see if the cables matter or not.

Yes - good point and thanks for asking. We did try switching the cables back and this process does NOT work with composite cables. I was pretty sure I had gone to the menu and back to the game before, but just to check I did swap cables back. It definitely requires the component. Now it might also work with s-video - didn't try that.

tivogirl said:
Yes - good point and thanks for asking. We did try switching the cables back and this process does NOT work with composite cables. I was pretty sure I had gone to the menu and back to the game before, but just to check I did swap cables back. It definitely requires the component. Now it might also work with s-video - didn't try that.

Thanks for testing that out! :D. So far its known that you must have component for it.

Back