A good use for an external USB disk for the Wii?

iceblade

WiiChat Member
Dec 27, 2006
Ok here's an idea. What if the Wii could support external usb hard disk drives. Maybe then they could be used to store games you own on DVD in the hard disk. I mean I would like very much to copy all my wii games from the wii to an external usb disk on the wii so that i can play them from there without having to inserts the game disc each time I play it. There could be some content encryption (i.e. DRM) so as the game is copied on the hard disk the content protection allows it to be played only on the console where the transfer was made. Kinda like VC where you can play games only in the console where the game was downloaded to.What do you think of that? Is it possible that an update to the Wii to allow such a thing will be released by Nintendo?
Cheers!

Yes. Nintendo has purchased the "prorietary" rights to do a USB hard drive as well as a way for you to better manage your SD card data. I am going to say this before you get flamed or something but try looking around for other posts like this. I, myself, have posted exactly what Nintendo has acquired to get this done and how the update will probably take place.

ShawVAuto said:
Yes. Nintendo has purchased the "prorietary" rights to do a USB hard drive as well as a way for you to better manage your SD card data. I am going to say this before you get flamed or something but try looking around for other posts like this. I, myself, have posted exactly what Nintendo has acquired to get this done and how the update will probably take place.

And if no one belives him here is the proof:

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/04/05/nintendo-to-offer-usb-storage-solution-soon/

ShawVAuto said:

sorry mate, I remember seeing somewhere around the forum about this licence you mention but I don't recall it saying anything about the ability to stream whole games from DVD to external HD (but I may be wrong:wtf: ). I know there are topics about external USB HDD I just don't know if anyone has mentioned this idea. I'm talking being able to play a game from your external HDD (which ihas become specific for your Wii with copy protection, kinda like VC Games) without having to insert the game DVD. That why the title is a good use for external USB disk
If this has been mentioned before, some mod please merge this topic with the other and sry for the trouble!:crazy:

Retman said:
thx man!

Last edited:
iceblade said:
sorry mate, I remember seeing somewhere around the forum about this licence you mention but I don't recall it saying anything about the ability to stream whole games from DVD to external HD (but I may be wrong:wtf: ). If so some mod please merge this topic with the other and sry for the trouble!:crazy:

Yes, but iceblade is talking aobut when you said:

What if the Wii could support external usb hard disk drives

I wasn't trying to be a prick or nothing. People on this forum LOVE to poit out the search button and flame people REALLY quickly:

I don't believe that particular subject has been talked about. I don't think it could happen. Nintendo, I think, would never allow you to have a copy of the game on a hard drive because piracy would then be impossible to stop. Even if the game was just hard drive specific, you could let me use your hard drive and I could play it for free. Or "bootleg" companies would just get a 30GB hard drive, load it up with Wii games and sell them per hard drive. Maybe some of the data to help eliminate load times because Iwata did say he wanted the Wii to load as fast as it takes to change a tv channel. Maybe the harddrive will assist with this.

Probably not because PC games use WAY more resources and instructions than console games. You will never be able to just put PC games on the hard drive and play them via Wii. The Wii is nowhere near powerful enough to run the games and the support for the Wii controls would not be there. Not to mention, they were written for PC or Mac and not the Wii... There are SO many reasons why anything along the lines of that wouldn't work. The hard drive will be for media (movies, pictures, music), game saves(possible), and updates (possible). That will probably be the extent of it. Maybe to aid in load times.

No offense to the guy but get off your fat ass and put in a disc...it ain't that hard to do. And here's 2 ideas for an external hard drive for the wii

Attachments

• Wii Hardware small.jpg
    Wii Hardware small.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 522
  • Nintendo wii Hardware.jpg
    Nintendo wii Hardware.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 659
Hahaha... that's funny. I work at a store that gets used high end electronics and it's hilarious because we may get a 63" High Def TV and people won't buy it because it doesn't have a remote! But yeah, I like the concepts of the hard drive you have come up with. To me though, I would want it to replace the Wii stand. This way, it wouldn't change the Wii at all.

What if they simply add the ability to have access to usb jump drives? This would eliminate the need for them to redesign-design a hard drive, plus it would give you the ability to set the size you need versus buying a pre-determined size..... just a thought.

ShawVAuto said:
What if they simply add the ability to have access to usb jump drives? This would eliminate the need for them to redesign-design a hard drive, plus it would give you the ability to set the size you need versus buying a pre-determined size..... just a thought.
That would be the best way, but Nintendo wants your money so it would be smarter for them to make their own HDD and not support any others.

ShawVAuto said:

They...already did that...in fact, you even stated it yourself. FYI, all the info about FAT32 and stuff=flash drive support. I think the external HDD is a great idea, and I'd love to put all my games/VC downloads and such on one of those.

No, no... I stated that they now have the ability to allow USB hard drives. Jump and hard drives are to different things but serve around the same purpose. Hard drive usage (now that I think about it) would be useless unless they allow some sort of better multimedia usage. Example supporting more formats such as avi., divx, xvid, mpeg-4, etc and allowing you to save and view these movies via hard drive. Otherwise, you would have a 10-20-30gb whatever sized hard drive for saving what, kb's and mb's of game saves and VC games!? Hmmm.... I will look more into things and check back.

Back