A new Nintendo Wii ( Literally) in 07

Wiitime

the guy below- HES BACK!!
Oct 15, 2006
Wii Online Code
1405-1695-6567-5492
New Wii in 2007 to Enable DVD Playback
Sonic Solutions signs on to develop updated console for last next year.
by Hilary Goldstein
November 13, 2006 - In a curiously timed announcement, Sonic Solutions revealed it had been chosen by Nintendo to provide DVD movie playback on a future version of the Wii. According to the release, Nintendo plans to offer a new version of the Wii in the fall or winter of 2007. Sonic's CinePlayer CE DVD Navigator, a standard in DVD playback software, allows for anamorphic widescreen video, motion menus and alternate camera angles.

"To be involved in Nintendo's ground-breaking gaming console is extremely gratifying and a testament to the efficiency, flexibility and dependability of Sonic's technology," said Jim Taylor, senior vice president and general manager of Sonic's Advanced Technology Group. "Game consoles represent a fresh market and platform where we can introduce a new audience of potentially millions to the quality of our brand and the power of our digital media applications."

It is unknown if there is an add-on DVD player is also planned. If not, those who purchase a Wii this holiday would need to buy a brand new system next fall in order to enjoy DVDs.

With the Wii launch coming this Sunday, the announcement of an updated console shipping late next year doesn't seem very beneficial to Nintendo. But that won't stop us from lining up on launch day.

IGN: New Wii in 2007 to Enable DVD Playback

To me its not worth the wait. I dont really care too much for that feature

yeah i just saw i0n's one...but the thing is i really don't care i already have 5 DVD player at home and well im not planing to buy the wii only for the DVD option

To me dvd playback on a console makes no sense unless you dont have a dvd player!? It will just cost more $$$:incazzato:

Is it going to get a big release though, i remember the q-cube was annouced pretty much as the gamecube was launching or so, and didnt it never make it out of japan. Not 100% sure though.

unless you own a dvd player its pretty much pointless, its understandable why nintendo didnt come out with the dvd playback in the first place. because a game console should focus on the gameplay itself, and in these day and ages a dvd player is pretty much a standard thing around the house.

people will probably buy it, but probably not in as much excess as the wii. In other words, not as many people will care about having the "new and improved" wii which of course will be more expensive than having the original.

Back