A wii bit expensive

ics

WiiChat Member
Nov 22, 2006
I am noticing that the wii is not that cheap once you start buying stuff for it.
Basically I want two controllers for the wii and virtual consoles. I also wanted component cables. I started adding it up and found it is not that much cheaper then the Xbox 360.

**Canadian prices**

Wii
=======
console $279
wii remote $44.99
nunchuck $24.99
component cable $35.99
2 X gamecube controllers $48.00
game cube memory card $20
* comes with 1 free game (wii sports)
-do not need extra SD card for now but might later on.
Total $452.97

Xbox 360
========
Xbox 360 Pro $499.99
extra controller $49.99
-Do not need to buy old xbox controllers.
-wont have to worry about extra SD cards later
-comes with component cables
* comes with 4 free games at Futureshop (Ghost Recon, Xbox Live Arcade and Far cry, Ridge Racer 6
Total $549.98

Don't get me wrong I love the Wii system but if your thinking it is a cheap alternative think again.

Well the Wiimote is $39.99 and the Nunchuck is $19.99. Also you dont need 2 brand new GC controllers. You can buy used ones at EB Games for like $8 each. Knocking you down to around $400 total which is the cost a 360 by itself. But I do agree that its not a cheap alternative when you have to pay an arm and a leg for components and prehiprials. (ya i cant spell)

Isn't a wireless controller fox x box about the same as a wiimote?
Also you don't need GC contollers to play wii games? All that stuff is added extra?
I'm sure if you priced up every available 360 peripheral the cost would rocket up (such as fans/charging base DVDremote etc..)

I was going by Future shop prices for the wii remote and nunchuck in Canadian dollars.
I also need wireless gamecube controllers and I found then for $24 each unless I buy the wired ones and extention cables.

You don't NEED wireless gc controllers...I used old wired ones and I'm doing just fine...

I guess it just makes me a little mad that you need to buy extra stuff to be backward compatible but with the Xbox and PS3 you need nothing. I can understand the controllers but the GC memory I can't. I also think the component cables should have been thrown in for free.

ics said:
I am noticing that the wii is not that cheap once you start buying stuff for it.
Basically I want two controllers for the wii and virtual consoles. I also wanted component cables. I started adding it up and found it is not that much cheaper then the Xbox 360.

**Canadian prices**

Wii
=======
console $279
wii remote $44.99
nunchuck $24.99
component cable $35.99
2 X gamecube controllers $48.00
game cube memory card $20
* comes with 1 free game (wii sports)
-do not need extra SD card for now but might later on.
Total $452.97

Xbox 360
========
Xbox 360 Pro $499.99
extra controller $49.99
-Do not need to buy old xbox controllers.
-wont have to worry about extra SD cards later
-comes with component cables
* comes with 4 free games at Futureshop (Ghost Recon, Xbox Live Arcade and Far cry, Ridge Racer 6
Total $549.98

Don't get me wrong I love the Wii system but if your thinking it is a cheap alternative think again.
oh yeah $100 difference isnt that much at all

Just out of interest, why do you need GC memory? Is it purely for saving GC games, or does the Wii use it in another way?

To save a GC game you need GC memory. According to some people here you need GC memory to even play some GC games.

knock 70$ off that price as the gamecube stuff is for a "Different Console"...
also component cables aren't a "must have" as the wii aint hi-def.
knock another 35$ off for that...

BrandonMcAuslan said:
knock 70$ off that price as the gamecube stuff is for a "Different Console"...
also component cables aren't a "must have" as the wii aint hi-def.
knock another 35$ off for that...

Maybe I should also nock off the extra wii remote and nunchuck as I do not need to have friends.

Dude. I bought the Wii because it is backward compatible. I though this was a bonus. Component cables are a must have or you will have a **** image. I would never use my DVD player with composite cables so why would I game that way.

Lets also add about $45 to the price because I do not have a wireless router to connect to the internet. The wii should come with a standard ethernet port. I beleive the Xbox does.

Last edited:
@ICS:

Not trying to be rude here, but surely if someone buys the Wii to be backwards compatible, then they'll already have every GC accessory they need? I have like 3 controllers, 2 wavebirds, 4 memory cards, 2 Donkey Konga Bongo sets and other assorted crap lying around - why would you buy brand new things when you can just re-use what you already have?

Granted, someone new to GC would face the added expense of having to buy GC accessories for their Wii, but if they really wanted to play GC games *that* badly (and let's remember, there won't be many more GC titles anounced...) why not just pick up a really cheap pre-owned GC and accessories?

xbox doesnt have wifi standard which i believe is a $100 addon? So to really compair the price of the wii to the 360 add that in. Wireless 360 controllers with the battery packs equals the price of the Wiimote and Nunchuck. The 360 doesnt come with component cables (my roommate's doesnt have erm). Not all 360 games are backwards compatible and last time i checked ALL gamecube games work with the Wii plus you have VC games. Oh yah the Wii's online is free, xbox's is not.

You have no reason to whine.

The gamecube controller works fine with the Wii. GC games only works with GC memory cards. A lot like the PS2 was with the PS1. You can buy a USB internet connector, or get a wireless router. If they add in online play later, like they said, then you won't need to buy the extra controller for multiplayer fun.

I wouldn't knock of the extra wiimote and nunchuk because you don't have friends, the Wii will make you friends, mostly of the female gender as well. ;)

Back