About these 480p Component Cables...

There is practically no information on the internet about that television. Very surprising. BUT, it does have 1 component input and almost definitely supports 480p. You will not be able to use the 16:9 functionality though because that is a standard 4:3 viewing ratio tele. No matter what, component cables will always help.

Alright i'm definently getting a component cable on launch! Will there be a VGA cord avalible for the Wii so i can use my monitor to play?

Wilko21 said:
Alright i'm definently getting a component cable on launch! Will there be a VGA cord avalible for the Wii so i can use my monitor to play?

Only time will tell. But probably not.

Wilko21 said:
3rd party manufactorers could make them if Nintendo doesn't though yes?

Surely. I am almost positive Nintendo has to authorize it. Anyway, I am sure we will see them pop up, maybe not soon, but eventually.

I don't think that component cables will do much better than S-video on a normal tube and since it's 4:3 you will not get real 480p on it. Might even f*ck up the picture if your TV does not understand the 480p signal that I think the Wii will spit out automatically when using the component cable.

Id try it tough because the cables arent that expensive and if it works you'll definetly get a good picture on your set.

infernocs said:
I don't think that component cables will do much better than S-video on a normal tube and since it's 4:3 you will not get real 480p on it. Might even f*ck up the picture if your TV does not understand the 480p signal that I think the Wii will spit out automatically when using the component cable.

Id try it tough because the cables arent that expensive and if it works you'll definetly get a good picture on your set.

Uhm... what are you saying? :lol: 4:3 and 480p have nothing to do with each other. A TV can have a ratio of 16:9 and still be 480i. Those are two completely different specs that do not correspond in the slightest. As for messing up his TV? What the hell? The TV has a component IN meaning it is 480p capable.

ABC, for serious, slow down! :) I have a 27" flat screen Sanyo in my living room with Component in but it won't do 480p.

Check it out:
SANYO > Flat Screen

Either way, I think you'll notice the difference. You may not notice the difference between S-Video and Component, but it's there and it's worth an extra five or ten bucks, imo.

My 27" insignia flat screen also has component inputs but not 480p...still I'll be buying the cables because the picture will still appear clearer just not 480p clear

Damn i guess this means that havent component inputs doesn't guarentee 480p. I can still hope. And i'll still get the cords.

Also my other 68cm Sharp TV has a scart connection on the back. I'll find out what model it is tomorrow but what is the maximum resolution you can get out of scart?

Bed time for me! One sleep closer to getting my Wii. Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Inspire said:
ABC, for serious, slow down! :)

:lol: Sorry man, it's just that stupid people really push my buttons. And it's not like it's hard to educate yourself these days. A simple Google search or even Wikipedia will turn up a SHITLOAD of information. READ!

Wilko21 said:
It's a 68cm Celestial SF2970. This is the site for it but it doesn't say nithing bout what resolution it supports.

Welcome to Celestial

(it's not flat screen)
ch-45-SF2970-d.jpg

I own the same brand TV. I thought after hearing all this talk I would just email the company and ask them. Will post the results if I get an email back.

okay

So just know this:

Having component cables will increase the quality of your picture. If you dont support 480p then it probably wont be noticable - even if you do support 480p you probably wont really be able to tell all that much. Component is great but it has its limits - thats why all the super high end tv's are using HDMI now adays. What ever TV you have, component will offer better quality than compiste. Component is your best bet for maintaining signal quality, but i dont see composite being much of a problem, and its cheaper. Now for xbox and PS3 thats different, but for Wii, it doesnt matter that much because 480 offers a fairly low resolution.

A TV''s image is only as good as the signal that goes into it - that means the signal from the source - and losses in the cables. Component will suffer little losses in image quality. Composite will obviously suffer more - but the difference probably wont be all that clear.

I would say the best thing to do would be to use the Wii with the cables it comes with. If you hear reviews a few weeks from now about how wonderful the component cables are and how the image is enhanced then you can make a better decision. So if it is better then you have to wait, but if the difference isnt that great then you didnt waste your money.

Also note, that component is like laser disc, its an in between technology that was quickly outdated. While it maintains higher quality signals than composite, it fails to meet the demands of say HDDVD or BluRay and 1080p televisions which require DVI or HDMI.

Last edited:
well once i was gonna buy component cables for the gamecube and store clerk said i could buy them only online so i didnt get them so i had no idea what they look like.....
i plan to buy them at launch along with the wii and zelda
but i dont know if my tv suport it
i have a 50"inch widescreen tv and on the back it has something that says
dvi hdtv out put....... is those compatible with the wii component cables????

Back