About Wii + PC + Monitor + Speakers

yosh64

WiiChat Member
Aug 23, 2006
About Wii + PC + Monitor + Speakers [edited]

hey

I am not sure if this has already been talked about on these forums, as I have only done a quick search on the subject.

I have been thinking about getting a Nintendo Wii, and was wondering how I would go about using it with both my computer Monitor and Speakers.

I would like the ability to easily switch between using my Monitor and Speakers with either the Nintendo Wii, or my Computer. I'd also like to beable to use the Nintendo Wii without the Computer being switched on.

Here is my first idea...

female component video to female vga (hd-15) adaptor/cable
female stereo rca to female stereo jack adaptor/cable
2 port kvm switch + audio, that doesn't need power from computer

and solutions... (the best I could find :\)

Component Video to VGA, EBAY <- note, male component video and vga (hd-15)
Component Video to VGA, hometheatre.net.au <- note, male component video and vga (hd-15)
Stereo RCA to Stereo Jack, EBAY <- note, male stereo jack
Stereo RCA to Stereo Jack, standard.com.au <- note, male stereo jack
Aten CS-62A (2 port KVM + audio) <- AUD $49 @ scorptec.com.au

I make this post because I would like to know if my ideas are correct, and I think it might be helpful for anyone else wanting todo such things. I also welcome any other suggestions of better/cheaper ideas/solutions.

cyas

Last edited:
right... i don't know why anyone would want to play wii on such a small monitor unless you have a projector

hey

Firstly, I just found some things about converting D-Terminal to VGA (hd-15) (see HERE). I also found an RCA Composite Video + S-Video to VGA adaptor/cable at amazon (see HERE), but I think this would result in lower picture quality?

Edit, nevermind the RCA Composite Video + S-Video to VGA adaptor/cable, as this doesn't actually convert the TV Signal or whatever.

cyas

Last edited:
hey

I was just wondering what would happen with games that don't support progressive scan or whatever? such as most GameCube games? does the Wii deal with this, and convert to a VGA signal or whatever? or are you meant to somehow hook up S-Video or whatever along with the D-Terminal? or do the HD Televisions interpret and deal with whatever type of signal it receives? I dunno...

Edit
Well I can't imagine you would have to plug both a D-Terminal and S-Video or whatever... unless there are separate ports on the Wii for each? So that leaves me thinking wether the Wii or TV deals with this... I'm hoping the Wii :).

Hmm, I faintly remember reading the GameCube's D-Terminal cable had some chip inside it, was this for converting the signal for games that don't support progressive scan? (well I just found it to be a custom DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) chip, see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameCube)

Edit, found it... from planetgamecube.com
Nintendo’s component and D-Terminal cables actually contain an integrated chip which, depending on how its pins are wired together, dictates the format the GameCube’s video card (Flipper) outputs.

cyas

Last edited:
Back