“Active” Gaming No Replacement for Exercise

zapasant

Where is your god now?
Aug 13, 2007
Canada
Wii Online Code
2887-9874-6238-6951
If you thought that playing the Nintendo Wii was exercise enough… you’ll want to put the Wii remote as well as that cupcake and keep on reading.

According to BBC News playing “active” games is no substitute for exercise, also check out the following quote…

“Wii players used only 2% more energy than players of regular computer games.”

How can this be? I’ll admit… I thought a person used a lot more energy than that - especially playing Wii Sports.

So do you guys think that playing “active games” is enough exercise? Feel free to comment and let me know your feelings on this matter.

hmm, this doesnt come as much of a shock to me, considering MOST wiigames just involve flicking the remote, but certainly in games like wii sports, mario and sonic at the olympics, aswell as the up and coming wiifit, im sure they do use more energy then the BBC says.

commnets please

source
http://www.wiiblog.net/gaming-no-replacement-for-exercise-715/

Well, with the exception of the titles you mentioned, this is incredibly true. Might burn a bit more calories standing up (if you have to) while playing as well but flicks and swings aren't much in exercise, you have to be doing it constantly with effort such as like in Wii sports.

I saw the title and all I wanted to say was OBVIOUSLY! Swinging your arm to hit a virtual ball vs. squats or benching, they're incomparable, it's funny people would even compare them, "Lollolololllololllol!!!11!1!!!!!1!" - Master Chief.

The BBC obviously tested every Wii game and then made an average. It's sad because they obviously were misguided in their research. The only game they probably should have tested was Wii Sports (Which, in the UK and States anyway, is the only game people actually use to stay healthy)

But, who knows? Maybe this article will get those people that only buy the Wii for Wii sports and don't buy anything else from buying the Wii. Which would make it easier for gamers that actually plan on using the Wii to find one.

Last edited:
Bullshit! When I play Wii Sports Boxing I sweat like a dog and begin to feel like a ran an entire marathon. And tennis also gives you a nice workout. But there is no replacement for a good workout.

It should be very obvious that nothing will REPLACE a true work out! I don't get the point of that article.

ANY exersize is better that NONE.

Wii doesn't offer a good amount of exercise, at least not for a full body.
Wii Fit could be the one to work you physically, at least more so than now.

People often confuse getting involved in the game with exercising though.

Haha, stupid people using wii as a scapegoat for 'staying in shape,' haha.

Lmfao staying in shape with the wii, but that quote is wrong for wii sports, wii sports uses around 30% more energy then regular video games, if you follow the instructions and play like your directed instead of lazily flicking the remote. But yeah, most wii games aren't much better. I think the quote is very biased, its giving an average, some games use more energy then others.

I would never use the wii for exercise though, unless you played wii sports for hours I doubt you'd get that much exercise.

Wiimoto said:
Lmfao staying in shape with the wii, but that quote is wrong for wii sports, wii sports uses around 30% more energy then regular video games, if you follow the instructions and play like your directed instead of lazily flicking the remote. But yeah, most wii games aren't much better. I think the quote is very biased, its giving an average, some games use more energy then others.

I would never use the wii for exercise though, unless you played wii sports for hours I doubt you'd get that much exercise.
i am actually better at baseball when i just flick the wiimote as opposed to swinging it like a real bat

ROB64 said:
i am actually better at baseball when i just flick the wiimote as opposed to swinging it like a real bat

Yeah, and I'm also better at basketball if I don't dribble. Doesn't mean that I should.

Dzapper said:
Bullshit!
It is partialy bullshit. Theres this guy that tested wiisports a while back ago. He played wiisports everyday but when he played he played it hard core. Even with tennis he jumped a bit to simulate the movement of a real tennis player. He lost 3 pants sizes by doing wii sports hard core for a month or 2 I believe.

Also when Wiifit is released that will be able to give you quite a sweat.

But for most games where we just sit on a couch flicking our wiimote than yes its true :p

i would say thats true but maybe 10% even if you play most games a constant flick of the wrist has ti di simething compared to doing nothing on other consoles.

and wii sports has to be like 100% becease you actual sweat.

and the only thing in wiifit to brake a sweat is the jogging i cant see standing on one leg making me collapse of exhaustion

jimbo said:
i would say thats true but maybe 10% even if you play most games a constant flick of the wrist has ti di simething compared to doing nothing on other consoles.

and wii sports has to be like 100% becease you actual sweat.

and the only thing in wiifit to brake a sweat is the jogging i cant see standing on one leg making me collapse of exhaustion
How about doing 30 push ups? or any of the other areaobics excersises on the hardest level.

Back