“Active” Gaming No Replacement for Exercise

Wii Sports Experiment

He has also thought about doing a second experiment using DDR:Hottest Party. He's been using Traineo.com to track progress.

If you do the sports correctly, you get some exercise. If you add wrist and ankle weights, you can increase your workout. WiiFit has a Yoga program. Yoga focuses on your core (stomach) area and is a good workout that doesn't require weights. If you strengthen your core, you are more likely to exercise more efficiently. And a lot of gamers need to strengthen their cores. I can see WiiFit being very helpful in making sure people do the correct moves while doing Yoga.

But the Wii isn't meant for exercise, so I think this company is just flaming the Wii, because they are targeting a part of it that nobody really uses. Who really exercises on the Wii? Other then hardcore wii sports players I doubt any everyday player actually does.

For me, my exercise = weights, pushups, crunches, and running

FLYNNN said:
I saw the title and all I wanted to say was OBVIOUSLY! Swinging your arm to hit a virtual ball vs. squats or benching, they're incomparable, it's funny people would even compare them, "Lollolololllololllol!!!11!1!!!!!1!" - Master Chief.

thats exsactly what i was thinking

Yeah, my last WiiSports Bowling run-in burnt me out more than deadlifts the other day...

^By 'positions' do you mean form?

Keep in mind that things like pushups aren't really going to build you up. They may help you 'stay in shape' and they might even get you some initial muscle to start with, but they won't go too far at all. You'll quickly find that they won't put enough stress on your body.

LevesqueIsKing said:
Keep in mind that things like pushups aren't really going to build you up. They may help you 'stay in shape' and they might even get you some initial muscle to start with, but they won't go too far at all. You'll quickly find that they won't put enough stress on your body.

I don't think anyone would hope to look like Arnold in Terminator 2, but being fit and trim is useful. While a regular push up might not put a lot of stress on your arms, there are other forms of push ups that can put close to 80% of your body mass onto your arms. Add more repetitions and you can get a pretty good workout in your upper body.

There is an aerobic/anaerobic exercise routine at the gym I go to called Body Pump. It switches between light weights, push ups, and other methods to create a killer workout. I can easily see this being done on WiiFit with an addition of a few weights by the user.

Don't generalize people.

I, along with many other people, would love nothing more than to be as strong as Arnold. I'm just stating facts. 'Body Pump' is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic exercises, and I personally would hate to do it, but you don't see me looking down on those that do.

And by the way, a pushup stresses your chest, and then your triceps and shoulders [arms, in your case] secondarily.

LevesqueIsKing said:
Don't generalize people.

I, along with many other people, would love nothing more than to be as strong as Arnold. I'm just stating facts. 'Body Pump' is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic exercises, and I personally would hate to do it, but you don't see me looking down on those that do.

And by the way, a pushup stresses your chest, and then your triceps and shoulders [arms, in your case] secondarily.
Its a fairly good workout when the reps are increased and different forms of pushups are used. (Claps, fisted, fingertip...)

Anyways Wii fit will be cool, but my point is that they are giving an average when they say 2%, some games use more then others. Also, nintendo didn't mean for this to be a form of exercise, it just looks like another advantage for the wii. The Wii is a game system, not an exercise machine. Wii fit is just taking the exercise from games like wii sports and making it into something totally new. Wii ftw!

LevesqueIsKing said:
Don't generalize people.

Sorry, I meant using the Wii to look like Arnold.
If someone, like yourself, was serious about looking like a body builder, they would do exercises with heavy weights you would normally only find in a gym.

I'm going to have to go with the BBC on here and not a 12 year olds assumption.

"I don't believe that.. wiisports uses more like 200%" where do you come up with this? Because some guy lost some pant sizes on wiisports? I doubt the guy was eating the same.. Losing weight doesn't involve just doing excercise, you have to eat right too. I don't care if he jumped to simulate the moves a tennis player would. Why doesn't he just play tennis if he's going through the motions? Play the Wii to have fun, not to convince yourself you're bettering yourself by doing so.

If you are talking to me at least get the age right: 20 years old. And I didnt say any numbers. I was just saying that it could be possible.

And Im not even saying that the wii is the way to go if you want to feel good about yourself.

Just hoping your not saying that about me....

wiisports boxing can hurt your arms after awhile, but i don't see any cardio involved. Hopefully wiifit will fill that space in. Either way it's still better than sitting on your ass playing xbox or ps3

Back