“Active” Gaming No Replacement for Exercise

Flicking the wrist? True.
Getting super into Wii Sports? False.

Besides anyone who actually thinks Wii will replace exercising probably doesn't take their exercising seriously anyway.

Well I think you can take into account the morning stretches some people do. Of course the wii wont replace the actual work out at the gym but the stuff to wake up will work out fine with wiifit. And why cant some excersizements from the gym be put in wiifit. The aerobics ones seem fine. Instead of going to the gym and watch a trainer and copying him you can copy the wiifit one right?

Theres nothing else involved than that. No weights just a tiny stool you got to step on and off.

um

:yesnod: dance dance revolution....major exercise (ps. im on my wii)

cyberzomby said:
The aerobics ones seem fine. Instead of going to the gym and watch a trainer and copying him you can copy the wiifit one right?

That's what I was getting at with the Body Pump thing.
The biggest problem I see with doing the exercising in group classes in the gym is actually seeing the instructor and doing the correct form for the exercise. If the WiiBo (apparently the name for the Wii Board) can some how tell that you are off because of your balance and help you adjust, that would be great for all sort of exercise. And of course, just seeing the proper form for an exercise in front of you would be extremely helpful. Maybe the next step would be to have a camera capture your exercise moves and judge it for correct form against the model.

Once you have the form down, a selected exercise routine, you just add your own free weights to the equation and voila!! personalized training!

LoganSix said:
If the WiiBo (apparently the name for the Wii Board) can some how tell that you are off because of your balance and help you adjust

Well with those aerobic tests you see a balance meter ( the board is not helping ) and a true to scale "human" on the tv. You can switch all camera points so you can see every angle of the exercise so you basically cant do it wrong.

Samus101 said:
Are you all obese or something?

Or you're not playing Wii Sports correctly.

But seriously, I'm not obese, but not in the best shape of my life (36 years old), however doing the boxing training and games does make me sweat some. It's about as much exercise as a moderate walk. I have used a heart rate monitor to see how much I increase my heart rate playing Wii Sports and it does show. Adding weights and jumping around like you are really boxing helps increase that more.

you can push against air holding a wii mote all you want, it's no where near as effective as taking a jog around the block.. stop kidding yourself

LoganSix said:
Or you're not playing Wii Sports correctly.

But seriously, I'm not obese, but not in the best shape of my life (36 years old), however doing the boxing training and games does make me sweat some. It's about as much exercise as a moderate walk. I have used a heart rate monitor to see how much I increase my heart rate playing Wii Sports and it does show. Adding weights and jumping around like you are really boxing helps increase that more.

Ok, I have to agree with the above poster and all those who say that Wii is a valid form of exercise. I'm 26 years old, a former division 1 college baseball player, and ave worked for a division 1 basketball team in their strength and conditioning program--and Wii sports kicks my butt...especially the boxing training.

I'm not sure how you guys play it, but I am the type of Wii gamer who uses their whole body in games like Tennis, baseball, and especially boxing (i.e. I bend my knees and move my entire core to bob and weave, rotate my hips in baseball, and try and put lots of "umph" on my tennis shots)...and by the end of an hour play session, I can definately feel the burn. There is a reason that the Wii is being used in several hospitals for physical therapy, and injury rehabilitation. In fact, my mom threw her back out about a year ago, and has been prescribed Wii sports at her rehab facility for about 4 months now.

The bottom line is that the Wii is a viable form of exercise when the user consiously puts the effort into the games to make it that way. I can honestly see people who put a great deal of effort into the games making great cardiovascular strides as well as toning muscle, and losing weight.

To all of you out there trying to act like the word "fitness" means weighlifting, you are sadly mistaken. As long as one is getting adequate cardiovascular exercise, along with active muscle movement, and burning as many calories as possible (plus eating healthy), then that person is in good physical shape. Having a 6 pack and being ripped has nothing to do with physcal activity but rather is 99% dependent on family genetics...sorry to break that to you all, but if your dad/mom never had a six pack, or was rippling with muscle, then no matter how hard you try you probably won't either..naturally that is.

Bottom line- the Wii is a more than capable tool of keeping an individual healthy- as long as that individual puts in the time and effort to make that commitment....basically the same principal as going to a gym.

GThwaite said:
you can push against air holding a wii mote all you want, it's no where near as effective as taking a jog around the block.. stop kidding yourself

Wrong...

As long as you are burning calories and raising/then sustaining your heart rate, the results are the same.

Bumble14 said:
Wrong...

As long as you are burning calories and raising/then sustaining your heart rate, the results are the same.

Not wrong, if you jogged a mile, you would burn more calories than you could playing the Wii for 3 times as long as it took you to jog that mile. Do I have proof to back it up? Nah.. But I do have common sense.. If it was that simple someone would have made an informercial ages ago telling the tales of weight loss by holding two objects, each weighing less than a pound and how if you push your hand forward, mimicking a punch you would lose weight in no time. If you are overweight you simply have to do more than do that or else America would be very skinny right now as it is the best selling console. If you want to believe it, go right on ahead, I'm not gunna try to change your mind. Ignorance is bliss for some people.

Bumble14 said:
Ok, I have to agree with the above poster and all those who say that Wii is a valid form of exercise. I'm 26 years old, a former division 1 college baseball player, and ave worked for a division 1 basketball team in their strength and conditioning program--and Wii sports kicks my butt...especially the boxing training.

I'm not sure how you guys play it, but I am the type of Wii gamer who uses their whole body in games like Tennis, baseball, and especially boxing (i.e. I bend my knees and move my entire core to bob and weave, rotate my hips in baseball, and try and put lots of "umph" on my tennis shots)...and by the end of an hour play session, I can definately feel the burn. There is a reason that the Wii is being used in several hospitals for physical therapy, and injury rehabilitation. In fact, my mom threw her back out about a year ago, and has been prescribed Wii sports at her rehab facility for about 4 months now.

The bottom line is that the Wii is a viable form of exercise when the user consiously puts the effort into the games to make it that way. I can honestly see people who put a great deal of effort into the games making great cardiovascular strides as well as toning muscle, and losing weight.

To all of you out there trying to act like the word "fitness" means weighlifting, you are sadly mistaken. As long as one is getting adequate cardiovascular exercise, along with active muscle movement, and burning as many calories as possible (plus eating healthy), then that person is in good physical shape. Having a 6 pack and being ripped has nothing to do with physcal activity but rather is 99% dependent on family genetics...sorry to break that to you all, but if your dad/mom never had a six pack, or was rippling with muscle, then no matter how hard you try you probably won't either..naturally that is.

Bottom line- the Wii is a more than capable tool of keeping an individual healthy- as long as that individual puts in the time and effort to make that commitment....basically the same principal as going to a gym.

Wow.. I didn't even see this.. wow.. just wow.. A fool and a liar..

cyberzomby said:
Well I think you can take into account the morning stretches some people do. Of course the wii wont replace the actual work out at the gym but the stuff to wake up will work out fine with wiifit. And why cant some excersizements from the gym be put in wiifit. The aerobics ones seem fine. Instead of going to the gym and watch a trainer and copying him you can copy the wiifit one right?

Theres nothing else involved than that. No weights just a tiny stool you got to step on and off.
They could very easily throw a bunch of gimmicky aerobic bs into the game, but it isn't going to accomplish much in the long run.

When was the last time you heard someone say they just got done doing a really hard workout of jogging in place for a half hour? It would be POSSIBLE to do with SOME aerobic exercises, but anaerobic exercises are out of the question. The day they put 'WiiLifting: Powerlifting Competition' on the market [complete with barbell and 700 + lbs of virtual weights] is the day I become the biggest gamer known to man.

GThwaite said:

depending on your state of health and fitness Wii Sports is actually more beneficial than a jog around the block as jogging/running can be detrimental to the helth of someone who is not already 'fit'.

Using a Wii can be part of a fitness regime, especially for people who are just starting out and/or trying to lose weight. What it cant do take it further than improving general fitness, in other words, you wont ever get 'buff' by playing WiiSports. So for those people who need to something just to get them started before they start doing weights and running etc it can be usefull.

Back