Actually changing the graphics on a Nintendo Wii

goldencalf

WiiChat Member
Jan 30, 2008
Hi.

I was wondering if it is possible to change the graphics on a Wii game. Say I would like to make the cow in Rayman: Raving Rabbids minigame Cow-Toss blue or green. Is there any way to do this? Are there anyone who has done anything similar to the Wii?

I guess it’s important that it’s a playable version that works on a Wii console with the Wii and nunchuck.

I don't think you can physically change ones colour in a game, unless the game itself has the setting to do so. If you want sharper picture, you can buy component cables for your TV and make the Wii's picture a tad crisper.

CantGetAWii said:
I don't think you can physically change ones colour in a game, unless the game itself has the setting to do so. If you want sharper picture, you can buy component cables for your TV and make the Wii's picture a tad crisper.
He is talking about hacking the actual rom.

As yet, there is no way to extract or import models or textures to/from Wii roms.

Thank you for the answers.

I was thinking that there should be a way of extracting/importing models and textures to wii games. Is it just a matter of making a program that is able to hack into the source files? On a computer i mean.. Then you can change them and replace the ones you'd like, and then make a new cd that the wii can read.

Anyone up for the task? It would be an interesting project :)

goldencalf said:
Thank you for the answers.

I was thinking that there should be a way of extracting/importing models and textures to wii games. Is it just a matter of making a program that is able to hack into the source files? On a computer i mean.. Then you can change them and replace the ones you'd like, and then make a new cd that the wii can read.

Anyone up for the task? It would be an interesting project :)

Aside from needing the expertise and experience to make such a program, you don't think Nintendo has taken measures to prevent people from doing that...

The only console that I know of currently that allows users to create game content is the PS3. Even that requires you to edit on the PC, and then upload it to the PS network... at least from what I understand of it.

Budo said:
The only console that I know of currently that allows users to create game content is the PS3. Even that requires you to edit on the PC, and then upload it to the PS network... at least from what I understand of it.
Actually, almost every console to date has been possible.

The NES in particular had literally hundreds of different hacked versions of SMB1.

I actually have all the character and enemy models from Twilight Princess if anyone wants them.

FRuMMaGe said:
Actually, almost every console to date has been possible.

The NES in particular had literally hundreds of different hacked versions of SMB1.

I actually have all the character and enemy models from Twilight Princess if anyone wants them.

Should have clarified; I meant being able to legally distribute your mods that work with unedited games.

Budo said:
Should have clarified; I meant being able to legally distribute your mods that work with unedited games.
Ok then. But that is not what he is talking about.

Yea, I just assumed that's what he meant, because it's pretty obvious to anyone that you can hack anything really... as long as you have the skill :yesnod:

These days though, you don't even need the skill's you've got so many DIY maual's and walkthrough, also in the mods department you can send them off to get them modded.

Also regarding the thread subject about editing the character's it more than doable, but only the hard core gamer's and i don't think there's enough of them that love the wii as much as we do to do that. Basically the hardcore community for the wii games is very smal at the moment, I'ts definately doable look at how mods there were of quake 3 arena, not only were there 1000's of skins downloadable, there were games developed using it's engine, heres a few i played:

>Bid for power!!!!!! That was amazing
>Urban Terror!!! also very cool

I can't remember the other one's I've retired the PC gaming world, for now.
Besides, it's simple enough extracting specific model skins and editing them, because burning it onto a new CD is doable, you just have to do it at the lowest buffer possible!
To sum up, hopefully in the future we will see modding/editing of games, i know you can get plenty of homebrew's fro the DS, it's only a console away!

I'll be back

Extracting the files out of the game is one thing.

Getting the Wii to use your modified files is a whole 'nother thing. Consider for a moment that the Wii reads almost all the game data off the read-only disc. The only writeable area is the save-game on the internal 512MB, but unless there was a way to embed modified game code/textures/objects/data into the save-game data file and get the Wii to then use it and override what's on the disc, I think you'd be stuck. And I can't imagine a game written to allow that much power from the save game data file. More like, just info like location, stats, points, inventory, tasks accomplished, etc.

Singhson said:
These days though, you don't even need the skill's you've got so many DIY maual's and walkthrough, also in the mods department you can send them off to get them modded.

Also regarding the thread subject about editing the character's it more than doable, but only the hard core gamer's and i don't think there's enough of them that love the wii as much as we do to do that. Basically the hardcore community for the wii games is very smal at the moment, I'ts definately doable look at how mods there were of quake 3 arena, not only were there 1000's of skins downloadable, there were games developed using it's engine, heres a few i played:

>Bid for power!!!!!! That was amazing
>Urban Terror!!! also very cool

I can't remember the other one's I've retired the PC gaming world, for now.
Besides, it's simple enough extracting specific model skins and editing them, because burning it onto a new CD is doable, you just have to do it at the lowest buffer possible!
To sum up, hopefully in the future we will see modding/editing of games, i know you can get plenty of homebrew's fro the DS, it's only a console away!

I'll be back
Urban Terror is an awesome game!

You may have seen me. I either go by FRuMMaGe or [myg0t]MonkeyFist

Yeh. It's doable allright. But the hard thing is to find someone who can do it for me. Or someone who has any kind of DIY manual for me!

I'm going to ask nintendo themselves for help as-well, I just think it's a hard road to take.. I'm wondering how to change the appearance of a cow in Rayman: Raving Rabbids because it's the perfect PR stunt for a competition of Creative Communication that I'm arranging. It's the largest student competition i Norway and one of the largest in all of Scandinavia. We have competitors from all over scandinavia, and even some from london.

It would be good exposure for the Nintendo Wii as-well as for the competition (called Gullkalven = Goldencalf). We would kind of sponsor each-other :)

What do you guys think? How should I approach Nintendo? Or maybe it's Ubisoft I have to contact..?

Neither Nintendo nor Ubisoft are going to give you the slightest bit of help with that. And did you miss my post about the discs being read-only and save game files not containing the data you want to change? Let alone the fact that save games are packeed with no fewer than 3 layers of security which hasn't been (fully) broken yet[1].

[1] Buffer overflows have been found in Zelda which allow people to execute only 4 lines of code so far.

Back