ad-hoc network connection

Kind of a basic question, but do you have internet sharing enabled and correctly setup, can you connect other pcs to the internet through this same connection, if not then that might be your problem.

I seem to be having the same problem as you are, except for the fact that I can't even get my Wii to notice the Wireless device. When I search for WAP's I get nothing on the list. I was hoping that maybe someone could help me.

First of all, I set up the wireless device for ad-hoc connection, and I shared my normal connection to the wireless device. I then tried to search for the device with the Wii, but no luck. I also tried bridging my normal connection and the wireless device, but no luck there either. What am I doing wrong? Maybe I set it up wrong, or maybe I should use third-party software, and not Microsoft's stuff. Anyway, I hope you guys can help.

I'm assuming your PC is connected to the internet via a USB or cable modem, then you have a wireless card in your PC which you are using to share the internet connection with other devices.

Even if your Wii can't use your internet connection (for reasons we haev yet to fathom), it should at least *see* the wireless network. Are you sure the host PC is actually broadcasting a wifi signal ??

I mean, do you have any other wireless devices attached to this network such as a laptop or other PC or something ??

I'm not using a wireless card, i'm using one of these. I was told it would work fine by quite a few people. All I had to do was go in and set it like a wireless card. Maybe the numerous people were wrong, but in any case, I need some help.

Oh right. Well I'm sure I read somewhere that the Wii uses mutliprotocol when it comes to wireless.

If this is true, then that seems to be an 802.11b only device and the Wii needs 802.11b and 802.11g. That might be why it's not working. I'll try and find the tech specs for the Wii wireless, but 11b/g is setting alarms off for me for some reason.

[update]: it would seem that the Wii can work with either 802.11b or 802.11g, but prefers "g", so at least in theory your usb device thing *should* work.

Are you sure your device is broadcasting it's SSID ?? If it is broadcasting, it should show up when you search for wireless networks. Having WEP encryption on or off shouldn't matter at this point. Do you not have any other wireless devices to check it with ?? Maybe a friends' laptop or even a Nintendo DS or DSLite ??

Last edited:
Just because it says b/g doesn't mean it needs both, it just means it supports both. B wireless is on older version of wireless, while G is the newer standard. Also, I'm pretty sure that ad-hoc is only transmitted in 802.11b anyway, not in g, so that was really making me hope even more.

Yeah I'm aware of that, I just read somewhere on this forum that the Wii needs both, but having looked further into it, I know now it doesn't :)

btw, I edited my orginal post.

That's one of my main problems, I don't have another device to check it with. I will pretty soon, but I don't right now. Also, how do I make the device broadcast the SSID, because I can't find an option for this. I really don't think it's that though, because I went in and set the SSID manually, but it still won't pick up the signal.

btw, I'm assuming you have connection sharing active and your wireless deviced bridged to your internet connection. Also might be worth disabling windows firewall (only for this connection) :)

Even if your Wii can't access the net, it should find your network. Still reading up on ad-hoc connections and the Wii. The official Nintendo line is that they aren't supported at present. Doesn't mean they won't work though.

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured as much. Anyway, I have sharing active, but if I go in and enable sharing on my normal connection so that it shares through the wireless device, it won't let me bridge them.

buy this right now

it's what I use for 3 PC's, DS, Wii and Laptop

works a treat with no messing about and ur ad-hoc PC doesn't need to be on for your Wii Connect24 to work

(2 mins left on that auction at time of posting)

Too bad I can't afford it. :(

Anyway, do you have any more ideas for me?

YAY! I did it! Sorta.... It's now detected, but it won't connect.

Well when I was first setting up the Wii with my Router, it would find the wireless network and connect to it (even using 128bit WEP encryption) but it kept failing the internet connection test thing.

I had to add the mac address of the Wii to my routers' mac filter table to allow the Wii shared internet access.

Don't know if that's your problem, but at least you seem to be making some progress :D

[edit]: do you mean it can see your wireless network but won't connect to it, or it has connected to your wireless network but won't connect to the internet ??

If it's the first one, I would try turning the WEP (and possibly firewall) off just to see if it's getting blocked.

Last edited:
I was actually about to ask how I would access a MAC filter table. I also wanted to make note that on my actual DSL modem I am able to see the IP address I manually set for my Wii, I guess because I tried to access it.

Also, what do I need to set the MTU value for?

Back