Advice on Extended Warranty

direwolf41

WiiChat Member
Jan 6, 2007
Sorry if I am not posting in the correct place but I really need some help deciding whether or not to invest in an extended warranty for my Wii. I purchased it on Dec. 17 from Best Buy and have until the 24th of Jan. to buy their product replacement plan if desired. I am seriously considering getting it because it seems likely that the Wii will be upgraded to one with a dvd drive in the not too distant future. If I got this plan, I could just go to my local BB when this does happen and swap my current Wii for the new dvd model. Second, if anything god forbid happens to my wii after Nintendo's 15 month warranty expires, I will still be covered for another 9 months. And not just a skeptical repair, but a brand new replacement.
Having said that, my main concern about getting the replacement plan from BB is that Nintendo does not recommend replacing your Wii at retailers because they correctly claim that you will lose all of your virtual console downloads as they are tied to the system. But in reality I don't know how many VC games I will actually be purchasing and would rather have the opportunity to get the new dvd model and sacrifice any potential downloads. How many people here purchased extended warranties and do you think it was a good idea. Sorry for the long post, and thanks a great deal for any assistance.

WEll I didn't get the extended warranty because I already have 2 dvd players, and also because if I upgrade my wii just to play dvd's it might as well be a blue-ray if I already have a regular dvd player.

Why would you not want a Wii with a dvd player for 250 bucks if you are already paying that? Plus, assume the Wii drops in price $100 over the next two years, I can exchange it for an new one with dvd and get money back. Seems like a win-win to me.

I'll say this, just as I'm going to say in the "Still searching for a Wii" thread.

Those Replacement Plans are friggin invaluable for first year systems.

Chalk up 2 PS2s, 1 Xbox, and many numerous other electronics to having been replaced by them.

You all with money can go ahead and buy new ones if you want, but personally, I'd much rather pay the $40, and if nothing else "create" a problem after a year and a half.

Any person that's ever worked at Best Buy (including me) will tell you that those things are WELL worth the cost.

TheMix said:
I'll say this, just as I'm going to say in the "Still searching for a Wii" thread.

Those Replacement Plans are friggin invaluable for first year systems.

Chalk up 2 PS2s, 1 Xbox, and many numerous other electronics to having been replaced by them.

You all with money can go ahead and buy new ones if you want, but personally, I'd much rather pay the $40, and if nothing else "create" a problem after a year and a half.

Any person that's ever worked at Best Buy (including me) will tell you that those things are WELL worth the cost.

Disagree. You are talking about Nintendo here. Can you name the number of problems that happened with the Gamecube console? Neither can I. What about the Gameboy? GBA? DS?

Nintendo makes a rock-solid console.

I would, however, get a plan for the 360/PS3.

dreamcastrocks said:
Disagree. You are talking about Nintendo here. Can you name the number of problems that happened with the Gamecube console? Neither can I. What about the Gameboy? GBA? DS?

Nintendo makes a rock-solid console.

I would, however, get a plan for the 360/PS3.

Just saying....t'wouldn't be a bad idea.

by the way...I did have to replace my N64 and my Gamecube.

I can't name a number of problems that happened with any of them, but I'd rather take that $40 risk, rather than having to deal with a busted $250 system minus warranty.

There've already been a number of problems that've come up on this forum already.

I don't disagree that Nintendo makes a good product....what I will say is that s*** breaks. Doesn't matter who makes it....and generally, manufacturer warranties don't cover an extreme amount of things (as BB's plans do)

Back