Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Advice - using Wii as media player

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Hardware' started by mal_k100, Dec 14, 2009.

1. mal_k100

mal_k100 WiiChat Member

Hi all,
    I was planning to buy a small windows based PC to operate as a media player to replace a freecom one I use at the moment but decided to get a Wii for Christmas. It is off eBay and has a 'mod' but the seller doesn't know what sort of mod it is.
    What I would like to do is the following:
    1. Connect to my wired LAN. My ISP uses PP0E and I have read that the USB to network adapters might not work unless PP0A. I can't see why this should be as the Wii is connected internally to the ADSL router and shouldn't need to know how the ADSL connection is maded surely?
    2. Access a linux box to play music and videos stored on the connected hard drive , across the network (wired if possible). I have a fixed IP for the unix bod and my drives are HDD_1_1_1 etc. which can be seen easily by my current media player.
    3. When I go on holiday I like to take my media player with me, it has an internal hard drive nd connect to TVs where I stay. I know that some people have connected a USB drive but what do I need to do ? I already have a USB drive that I have used to connect to my PC so I can obviously plug it in but I think I may need some thing else as the Wii doesn't see the drive (if I am correct?).
    4. Finally, as I am not sure what the 'mod' is, I'd like to try and identify it. Presumably a screwdriver would help but want to make sure that it is a fairly simple exercise before I start undoing things (I am able to assemble and upgrade my PC so I am at that level)
    I'd appreciate some advice from anyone who has actually accomplished the above if possible.
    Oh - if PP0E is OK, what should I avoid if there are some that are only PP0A ?

Cheers

2. mal_k100

mal_k100 WiiChat Member

For info - most issues solved
    1. Connect to my wired LAN. My ISP uses PP0E and I have read that the USB to network adapters might not work unless PP0A. I can't see why this should be as the Wii is connected internally to the ADSL router and shouldn't need to know how the ADSL connection is maded surely?
    ---not tried yet as using wireless
    2. Access a linux box to play music and videos stored on the connected hard drive , across the network (wired if possible). I have a fixed IP for the unix bod and my drives are HDD_1_1_1 etc. which can be seen easily by my current media player.
    ---all OK using SMB shares on Wii
    3. When I go on holiday I like to take my media player with me, it has an internal hard drive nd connect to TVs where I stay. I know that some people have connected a USB drive but what do I need to do ? I already have a USB drive that I have used to connect to my PC so I can obviously plug it in but I think I may need some thing else as the Wii doesn't see the drive (if I am correct?).
    ---all OK using USB hard drive with 2 partitions
    4. Finally, as I am not sure what the 'mod' is, I'd like to try and identify it. Presumably a screwdriver would help but want to make sure that it is a fairly simple exercise before I start undoing things (I am able to assemble and upgrade my PC so I am at that level)
    I'd appreciate some advice from anyone who has actually accomplished the above if possible.
    --- I just softmodded and all works so I am ignoring whatever the hard mod is even if it is there !

3. UnMem

UnMem WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 1002-1049-4523-0000
    1002-1049-4523-0000
    Soz i wish i could help but i can't

4. DBloke

DBloke The last original
    Staff Member Moderator

Wii Friend Code: 8041-7231-3447-6164
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    Your best bet for a media player is not a Wii as its very limited as to what it can do (no dvds with out a hack, limited use of internet channel, no saved videos, no downloading vids)

Your best bet is a laptop (you mentioned portability)
    These Netbooks are good for a portable media centre (as long as your TV has a VGA input) but I recommend you go a bit up market and get something like this (try to get one without Vista thought as its nasty)

For watching vids I recommend VLC media player
    For music Winamp (VLC dose this but its not the best)
    For internet Google Chrome wont bog your system down
    I dont recommend a external hard drive as a means to carry data round as there big and might break a USB flash drive is a safer bet
    Well dont spam up the place then with your unnecessary posts

5. UnMem

UnMem WiiChat Member

1002-1049-4523-0000
    VLC is nasty

6. mal_k100

mal_k100 WiiChat Member

Wel I am finding the Wii ideal at the moment. I have two dedicated media players and the Wii is better to take away as it plays games as well !

Cheers to all

7. DBloke

DBloke The last original
    Staff Member Moderator

8041-7231-3447-6164
    As dose a decent laptop.
    (Ok nothing recent unless you get a really high end gaming one)

But its your decision.

8. UnMem

UnMem WiiChat Member

1002-1049-4523-0000
    a good gaming laptop is about £700

9. mal_k100

mal_k100 WiiChat Member

The reason I went for a Wii is that I wanted the balance board to use for ski and board practice as well as the wiimote for game playing. I already have a laptop with two XBox 360 wireless controllers but couldn't find anything like the wiimote and nanchuck.
    If I go for a portable media player I'd definatley go for the ASROCK Ion 330 as it is good enough for anything I want. I used to take my laptop away on holiday and still do if I drive anywhere.

10. UnMem

UnMem WiiChat Member

1002-1049-4523-0000
    just get an ipod :)

11. mal_k100

mal_k100 WiiChat Member

I didn't know that ipods are able to use hard drives or are you just trying to be funny ?
    I already have a phone that takes 16GB cards and can connect to a TV via SCART and plays games but it is no good as I would need to spend ages converting and would need even more SD cards.

12. DBloke

DBloke The last original
    Staff Member Moderator

8041-7231-3447-6164
    Nar hes just trying to up his post count
    In reality he knows not what hes talking about

One thing I will say to you about the Wii is google "Wii homebrew" there's a few apps that will be handy if your looking to turn it more into a media player, but we cant talk about them on this forum (legality issues)

13. mal_k100

mal_k100 WiiChat Member

Thanks DP.
    I have already got it running with some applications. As I am trying to use an external hard drive to store my music and Videos it shouldn't be a problem but I understand where you are coming from.
    I am in the process of trying FTP. It can see the SD card but, as yet, not the USB drive. I guess all I am doing is being lazy as I have stuff stored on a Linux server and I want to copy across without taking my Wii USB drive upstairs.
    Cheers anyway (and I do find it strange why people post rather odd messages that are no help and mean nothing as they obviously seem to read the thread title and nothing else - not you of course !!!)

14. rev1

rev1 WiiChat Member

mal k, How are you using the Wii for media player? I am thinking of getting a NAS unit and thinking of using the Wii to play my mp3's. Advice/help will be appreciated.

15. mal_k100

mal_k100 WiiChat Member

Hi rev1
    My setup:
    Wii with USB hard drive. 2 partitions 1st is WBFS 2nd FAT32
    NSLU2 (aka SLUG) with 4 bay usb drive
    GigaNAS server with 2 internal drives (I only use 1 at the moment).
    XP laptop

Wii setup:
    1st partition must be unformatted in Windows and formatted with WBFS
    2nd partition can be NTFS (I have tried it) but I now use FAT32 as FTPii can only see the partition as FAT32 not NTFS.
    I can run Filezilla on my laptop and with FTPii running on the Wii, I can copy files (slowly) to the FAT32 partition.
    The Wii can be setup using SMB links to the linus servers (only 5 though), using the SMB configuration files - easy to do it is well dcumented here.

I have not been able to map drives on Wii from XP.

End result:
    Play MP3 and .avi on USB hard drive (FAT32 partition or NTFS if you don't need FTP) using Mplayer CE
    Play MP3 and .avi on NAS servers across a wireless network using Mplayer CE.
    Hope this helps. All the setup stuff is doumented. I doubt the NAS are relevant, my guess is that anything running Linux (or a flavour) will work.
    Theoretically I guess you wouldn't need a USB drive directly attached to the Wii, you could just stream across your network. I do it so I can take the Wii and USB drive on holidays.
    Go for it !

16. UnMem

UnMem WiiChat Member

1002-1049-4523-0000
    Well if you want to watch videos and listen to music. iPods are portably. Just connect your hard drive to a computer then put your media on your iPod hey presto.

A Wii is for games not much else. :L Hense 'Games Console'
    Why you get a wii anyway? I know you can play games

#16 UnMem, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  17. DBloke

DBloke The last original
    Staff Member Moderator

8041-7231-3447-6164
    Bloody hell!
    A post from you with more than one sentence.

iPods are rubbish as a media player as you need to encode the videos so they work on it and that takes time.
    The screen is a bit small as well anything with subtitles would be a nightmare to watch (personal experience as when I was on some lame excuse for a course last year I put some episodes of Gintama on my K800i and I could just make out what the subs where saying).
    At least with something like this you have a easyer to see screen.

18. UnMem

UnMem WiiChat Member

1002-1049-4523-0000
    I wasnt meant to say I know you cAn play games. i was gonna right an essay ut couldnt be arsed.

An iPod Touch?

But TBH i wouldnt mind some videos on my Wii.

19. mal_k100

mal_k100 WiiChat Member

This will be my last post to this thread.
    Anyone who thinks they can use an ipod as a media player is mad. The resolution of the files is so poor when shown on a full screen TV as it has to be drastically reduced to be saved on an ipod. Sure you can store stuff as a file without reducing but it then can't be played. I have all these facilities on my nokia and have had on previous Nokias. I now have a Wii that plays games , videos and music from my hard drive albeit only 500GB at the moment. If I want anything stupid like watching video on a small screen I can use my 5800 but I ant a media player.
    The Wii can play video and audio across my network using a wireless lan or wired lan as well as using the attached hard drive. Performance is good across wireless although maybe HD wouldn't be , but then I have an upscaling TV so happy with it.
    So, fortunately since my original post, I have resolved all the issues of a combined games machine and media player. I wanted the wii due to wiimote and nunchuck otherwise I would have bout a nettop (ASROCK 330 ION)
    I hope other will realise the capabilited of the wii. I also have 3 other media players with inbuilt hard drives and thy are now being kept in a cupboard and only use as USB drives (as they work that way).

Shame some people can't be bother to spend a few minutes explaining what they mean from what appears to be childish flippant remarks.

Cheers and good luck to other who want to maximise use of the wii (yes I know xbox 360 will do the same but I wanted the balance board etc. - a skier and boarder here!)