Aliens

~Marisa~

Ngiyabonga, my friend.
Jul 19, 2006
Washington
Do you believe they exist? Why and why not? and if you do believe in them, do you feel they are here to help or harm us? Later, I will post a longer thread about different theories of aliens and whatnot, this is just a shorter and quicker version cause I'm tired right now lol

For me, yes, I do believe they exist - atleast...I think I do. I haven't officially decided yet. I just feel like there is so much space and it would be self-centered to just assume we're the only ones. If they do exist, I feel there are bad aliens and good aliens, just like in the human race.

Well, we are aliens to other life forms...

There has to be other life elsewhere in the universe, it's pretty much impossible to say we are the only ones. Not to mention we have found fossils of microscopic bacteria on Mars' surface.

Given the sheer size and vastness of the cosmos as it is... I'd say it'd be narrow minded to believe Extra-Terrestrials do not exist. I do agree too there would be both good and bad aliens. I do believe too there are aliens at different stages of evolution and technology - some aliens will have technology light years ahead of what we have, while others will be very primative creatures.

As far as their orientation goes... A race more advanced than us would surely see the futility in violence. Having said that, they could judge us not worthy of inheriting the Earth, and decidihng upon that could prompt the extermination of humanity, leaving them with this world. I don't see humanity as the worthy inheritants of Earth, Aliens would surely see the folly of humanity.

Lots of aliens in England

But as for ETs
Theres gota be something else out thereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Starts signing
Is there anybody out there
Is there any body out there

An astrophysics student's point of view:

There are around 100 billion stars in the galaxy, and there are at probably about that many galaxies in the universe as well. If we take our galaxy as an average one, that gives us over 10^22 (10 to the power of 22) stars in the universe. If we assume that only stars that are very similar to the Sun (i.e. type-G dwarf stars with no companions) can support life, then that leaves us with roughly 10^20 stars. We could go further still and say life can only form in a planetary system similar to ours. We don't yet know how many planetary systems are similar to ours, but as an educated guess lets say 1%. That leaves us with 10^18 stars in the universe capable of supporting life on planets orbiting them. You'd have to be one heck of a gambler to bet on us being the only life in the universe.

Do I believe they'll be hostile? I reckon they'd be like humans- you can't just classify humanity as good or bad, and similarly I highly doubt you could simply say an entire sentient alien species was good or bad either. Each individual would be different, just as humans are.

What is everyone's opinion on Area51? Do you feel like if there are aliens and our government has found them, that the rest of the world has the right to know? Do you trust the government and what they're hiding or do you think they're not for our best interest. Discuss.

Personally, I feel that the term 'lifeform' may go through changes of definition when we do actually meet aliens.

Also, I'd like to point out some facts about the moon (The latter part does have some connection with aliens..
moonfacts said:
12. Moon’s Origin: Before the astronauts’ moon rocks conclusively disproved the theory, the moon was believed to have originated when a chunk of Earth broke off eons ago (who knows from where?). Another theory was that the moon was created from leftover "space dust" remaining after the Earth was created. Analysis of the composition of moon rocks disproved this theory also. Another popular theory is that the moon was somehow "captured" by the Earth’s gravitational attraction. But no evidence exists to support this theory. Isaac Asimov, stated, "It’s too big to have been captured by the Earth. The chances of such a capture having been effected and the moon then having taken up nearly circular orbit around our Earth are too small to make such an eventuality credible."
13. Weird Orbit: Our moon is the only moon in the solar system that has a stationary, near-perfect circular orbit. Stranger still, the moon’s center of mass is about 6000 feet closer to the Earth than its geometric center (which should cause wobbling), but the moon’s bulge is on the far side of the moon, away from the Earth. "Something" had to put the moon in orbit with its precise altitude, course, and speed.
14. Moon Diameter: How does one explain the "coincidence" that the moon is just the right distance, coupled with just the right diameter, to completely cover the sun during an eclipse? Again, Isaac Asimov responds, "There is no astronomical reason why the moon and the sun should fit so well. It is the sheerest of coincidences, and only the Earth among all the planets is blessed in this fashion."
15. Spaceship Moon: As outrageous as the Moon-Is-a-Spaceship Theory is, all of the above items are resolved if one assumes that the moon is a gigantic extraterrestrial craft, brought here eons ago by intelligent beings. This is the only theory that is supported by all of the data, and there are no data that contradict this theory.
Source: Here
If this is true, then the moon itself is a very suspicious thing. Perhaps aliens created the moon for the purpose of studying us. Pretty eerie thought...

Last edited:
I'm not sure. Even since a saw a documentary when I was a bit younger about people floating in their beds and stuff (or imagining they have been) I've been effin scared of the thought :) I'm sucha loser :p

THERE ARE DEFINATLY ALIENS! I guarantee you Hollywood has blown it all out of proportion, I doubt they have green heads etc. I suppose it’s possible, but i would find it easier to believe they are more like us. But as it has already been said on here... there is just too much universe for us to be the only ones!

Wiired said:
I'm not sure. Even since a saw a documentary when I was a bit younger about people floating in their beds and stuff (or imagining they have been) I've been effin scared of the thought :) I'm sucha loser :p
I remember a documentary style thing like that, but it was about poltergeists. They had this one bit where there was a photo of a girl being 'thrown' out of bed. I think in the end, they concluded that the little girl (the subject of the hauntings) was actually schizophrenic I think...

Is that the one you were refering to?

there are aliens
100% sure
the universe never ends, so it would make sense that somewhere else in the universe the same exact distance from the sun and a planet with all the right ingredients is out there
i just read naplams post which proves my theroy =]

If you guys had a chance to meet an alien in person, with no knowledge of possible consequences, would you do it? And also, do you guys feel the secrets of Area 51 are in our best interest or not?

Back