All things HDTV

MasterJedi2U

Banned
Jan 28, 2007
Durham, NC
Wii Online Code
5251-2094-6508-9892
Just to start out please forgive me for this long post. I have no knowledge about HDTV and I've been researching online on Google, etc but I'm still a bit confused about it. The Nintendo Wii can do 480p at max and thats fine and all but I don't have a tv that is capable of that. I'm pretty sure I have CRT which is Cathode Ray Television correct? Now I'm planning on buy a new TV with some saved up money. So I have a few questions to ask and I"ll just list them out.

1) LCD v Plasma: Which is better for Videogames and general TV viewing?

2) If a TV says it can do 1080i or 1080p does that ALSO mean it can do 480p and 720p as well? OR do I have to find a TV capable of producing all those resolutions

3) What is the usual screen size for a television used for games? Especially Multiplayer.

4) After I buy the TV and setup the cable, etc. I'll need to buy some type of new cable to connect the Wii to the TV right? My question is which is better? Component or S-Video and what is the difference?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Alright
1. In my opinion, I think that LCD are better because there cheaper, they're are usually used for gaming. Plasma are just a little bit better, but more expensive.

2.Yea, if it says 1080p it can produce anything lower like 480p 720p.

3. Ummm, I dont know.

4. Get component cables. There have better Resolution and picture on the tv. It produces more lines which gives a more crisp and clear picture.

And I should definitely get the official Nintendo ones right? Or are there better quality ones made by some 2nd or 3rd Party company?

1. Probably LCD. Don't knock crt's though, if you got the room, they still have best contrast ratios, response times, and are fairly inexpensive. Also don't worry about burn-in on plasma

2.nothing to add

3. Size isn't everything. go for like 40-50 unless crt and is self supporting

4. Component is better, basically, component breaks down into 3 parts and s-vid only 2.

5. Don't think i've seen anyone complaining about their 3rd party cables. Most problems out there are tv related or happens to first party as well.

I'll add to consider a projector. Great for home theater and they are coming down in price. They're also getting brighter, so you can use it in the daytime in a room with windows. Not just a basement dweller anymore. Playing red steel on 105'' screen would be amazing.

40' screen? That sounds so big to me. I was thinking 26-35 at most...

I think sweet spot is 42. depends on how big your seating area is. My house is pretty open, so I've always wanted a projector. (65'' crt aint bad though, never get to play on it though.):sad:

1) LCD v Plasma: there is always a big debate on this, both have their upsides...in general for gaming LCD would be recommended.

2) like what the others have said, if a tv can put out the higher signals, they will have no problems running the lower scan rates. (so anything that is branded 'HD' or 'HD ready' will be able to run the wii's 480p without any hassle)

3) that question doesnt have an answer...there isnt a set size that is best for games, i think you need to consider a different point of view - how big is the room its going to be in? (too small will be hard to see in a big room, but too big in a small room is just as akward). cost? generally if its bigger, it will cost more....space? could go with the room size, but if you go for a big CRT tv, they have a way bigger footprint so you need to consider that aswell. either way before you buy a tv, if possible in the store, stand at roughly the same distance from the tv as you will be when at home, and compare how big the screen display is for you...should help you visualize

4) chances are you wont need a new cable to connect the wii, but it will probably be recomended. the normal composite will be able to go with the tv, but you will get a better picture with the component cables (providing the tv has component inputs, which it should if its HD)

any more questions then just write them up, as you can see everyone on here is willing to help :thumbsup:

It has got to be component video cables and buying the official nintendo ones is just a waste of money as there are others available for a lot less money and just as good!

Lol those look like sh*t. Theres no way in hell I'd buy something like that. Sorry but I prefer buying something reliable than on something unknown just because its cheap. Especially when it comes to important things such as videogames. If it were a skin or sometype of controller stand then I'd consider 3rd Party but thats just ridiculous. However if there are any true quality/brand name 3rd Party cables I'll def look at em.

it really doesnt matter what the cables look like, they will be going behind the tv anyway....

they all do the same thing at the end of the day

The funny thing is, the ignorance of the response...
If you had any clue about Video cables, you would not be so quick to dismiss the blaze branded wii component cables. These were available in the UK long before the official nintendo ones and are available in the high street..
also, why are you going to pay more money just so you can have official cables?
They are not made by nintendo, they are made by a big factory in china and Nintendo buy them for like 50p a set and simply put their name on them..

Last edited:
Thanks man. Sounds just about right. Now do tvs come with different amounts of plug ins on the back? You know like some will have a spot for S Video while another will have a spot for both S-Video and Component cables. Or are all tvs suppose to be come in a certain way?

don't get an HD TV just for the Wii, if you have the money and the room check out some EDTV CRT's. Ask at your local electronics store about 'progressive scan CRT's' they will produce a much better picture for your Wii than an HDTV LCD or Plasma.

If you want HDTV for HDTV then go for it, the Wii looks better on EDTV.

And about the cables the dude is right, just looking at those cables I can see they are of a higher quality. Things to look for when buying cables is the metal used in this case it looks gold which is one of the best, and the thickness of the overall cable, along with other general build quality issues, seams, welds and the like.

If you get a CRT EDTV (progressive scan) then there will be inputs via component on the back. Most TV's also have a couple of scarts and maybe an S-Video.

depends on what inputs you have. Progressive scan dvd players and wii should use component. svid is okay. DVI if you got a ps3 or computer you want or cable box. Every tv has composite so don't worry about that.

oh, don't worry about # of ports. just get a switcher, unless you are a person who can't stand getting up for 3 seconds

Back