All things HDTV

It looks like EDTVs are not worth it compared to some low end 720p HDTVs. I saw one that was about US$500 480p LCD 4:3 no contrast ratio mentioned. I was expecting an EDTV CRT to be sub $300 since CRTs are becoming antiquated. I think I will suffer with 480i until I can find a HDTV worth investing in.

1) I'm using a samsung plasma HPS4253. It's 720p native resolution, looks great for games, and can now be found for $1200 or less (I paid $1700 with employee discount a year ago when I was working at Best Buy). It also has a VGA input so you can hook up a PC if you so desire. This isn't the only choice but there are tons of brand-name tvs at reasonable prices currently available. I personally don't buy the LCD debate as my Plasma display is rocking a 10,000:1 contrast ratio, which is only available on LCD displays that have LED backlighting, which makes them way more expensive. If you want to be as "future-proof" as possible you should go with a 1080p tv as that is higher than current broadcasting bandwidth is realistically capable of. However, it is a pretty widely held viewpoint that 1080p is pointless unless you plan on using a larger set (60"+) as the difference won't really be noticeable on smaller sets. If money's no object, buy a 1080p...but if you're trying to be economical, the money could be better spent.

2) seems like this one has been answered, and answered again...and again.

3) There is no "usual" size for gaming, or anything else. Typically the size of your tv is determined by the size of your room. Doing a google search will yeild at least a few charts giving typical screen sizes in relation to viewing distance. I tend to agree with most of these charts, being that a 42" tv is a good choice is you plan to sit (or stand, in the case of the wii) about 8-10 feet from the tv. You can search for the actual chart or base your decision on that guideline. If you sit further than 10 feet you probably want something bigger, if it's for a smaller bedroom you may want to go smaller.

4) ditto number 2)

On a side note, all you people hating on Sony just because you love the wii and hate the PS3 are seriously closed-minded. Sony has for a long time had the highest rated LCD displays available and the amount of menu options and customization is on much more of a professional level than any other display I've seen. I agree they are a little overpriced and there are plenty of displays that are just as good for your average joe, but there's no denying sony "pwning" the competition with regard to LCD displays. Sony still dominates the professional video world so don't think that not buying their consumer products will put them out of business!

If you have a Fry's Electronics around, there's always the Olevia 337H for $600/no rebates. People seem to like the quality of Olevia models for the price.

* 37" 1366 x 768 Native Resolution (16:9 Aspect Ratio)
* 8ms Response Time
* 178-degree Ultra Wide Viewing Angle
* Inputs - 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
* Video Inputs-1 HDMI, component, VGA, 1 shared S-video/composite

NO internal tuner so a vcr, dvd player, cable box is needed for tv broadcasts.

Hey thanks for that info. I'm definitely looking at it right now and it seems perfect for me. One question though. It says that its 16:9 aspect radio. Does that mean I won't be able to set it up to so that the picture fills most if not not the entire screen?

PS I noticed it doesn't have the HDTV tuner in it...is that necessary to play the Wii in 480p? And how much do Tuners usually cost? I'm guessing that once again there are millions of different brands that make them...:crazy:

A Samsung tuner is about $250 or $300. No a tuner is not required to play Wii. If you hook up a cable box or a satellite receiver to the television then that will take the place of the tuner.

Don't worry, if you are playing the Wii on any TV it will take up the entire screen.

Last edited:
Jorge said:
A Samsung tuner is about $250 or $300. No a tuner is not required to play Wii. If you hook up a cable box or a satellite receiver to the television then that will take the place of the tuner.

Don't worry, if you are playing the Wii on any TV it will take up the entire screen.

This is correct. Also, I stated using a vcr/dvd player/etc in my last post. Most of these devices have their own standard definition tv tuner built into the things. Just hook the device up to the LCD via any available input on the tuner and it'll all be pretty much equal in terms of SDTV resolutions.

A model with a built in tuner should be starting at $100 or so more than the price on that model. Of course, many of the currently built-in HD tuners can only obtain high definition feeds from an antenna (like 10 channels). A lot of the wired feeds will require a cable card or similar setup (external tvtuner box given to you by cable company, such as with Comcast digital cable) so no built in ones are very future proof. Even standard definition tuners won't be functional for much longer, as the government pushes for digital-only feeds. In my opinion, "monitors" (a tv with no tuner) are the way to go right now.

Just hook an old vcr up to the thing via rca/svideo and you'll get all your current tv functionality, but with high definition inputs for next generation devices (hdmi SHOULD become the standard soon enough)

HDMI cables are going to have to come down in price before they become standard. IMO they are overpriced a wii bit too much.

As he said tuners allow you to receive local channels in HD. Whether you buy a TV or a monitor plus a tuner (although some monitors now have tuners now) it is going to cost roughly the same. IMO it is worth it to buy a TV with a built-in ATSC tuner (HD tuner).

Jorge said:
HDMI cables are going to have to come down in price before they become standard. IMO they are overpriced a wii bit too much.

As he said tuners allow you to receive local channels in HD. Whether you buy a TV or a monitor plus a tuner (although some monitors now have tuners now) it is going to cost roughly the same. IMO it is worth it to buy a TV with a built-in ATSC tuner (HD tuner).

HDMI cables aren't too expensive if you don't go into a local store and pick them up (price gouging only). Online they're equal to what an rca would cost you in a store (so about double the cost of a similar rca, but not too expensive really). Long lengths can be a bit more spendy though.

On tuners, exactly. It all depends on whether or not you want over-the-air (antenna) stations or not, which is what ATSC brings you. On a related note, its a "television" if it has a tuner or just a "monitor" if it does not. The term "monitor" as it pertains to screens no longer is only something you hook up to the pc. Just look at all the "monitors" in stores now, that are alongside televisions. Don't remember the specifics, but it had something to do with the government saying that after this date (beginning of last year iirc), any "television" without a (digital?) tuner must be called a "monitor". Of course, its only required within the US but the world's following (only due to packaging purposes I'm sure, no need to reprint everything for another english-speaking country). If I find sources, I'll post them up here. Until now, this is just what I learned of when searching for a lcd tv a couple years ago, and I'm pretty sure the above date was March or April of 2006.

edit.
Here's the specifics:
"
FCC tuner mandate: [...] The FCC has mandated that certain sizes of televisions on sale on certain dates are required to have built-in ATSC tuners--but the TVs don't necessarily have to be able to display HDTV resolutions. [...]:

Date TV sizes that must include ATSC tuner*
March 1, 2006 All TVs 25 inches or larger
March 1, 2007 All TVs regardless of screen size

*Note: Does not apply to monitors, such as many plasmas and front-projectors, that lack built-in standard (NTSC) tuners.
"

"TV Buying Guide". c|net Reviews. 21 February 2007
<http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7608_7-1016109-3.html>.

Last edited:
Well we have a handful of "monitors" with built-in tuners.

Oh I know, you're talking about computer monitors. As far as I know, it can be called a monitor without any worries about regulation; television on the other hand, it cannot be called. Anything with an ATSC tuner can be considered a television though. I don't think the 25" size thing matter much as all the smaller monitors I've seen with tuners have almost always been called monitors.

Either way, I'm loving the low prices. Had a 40" LCD monitor that I recently sold for $650 as it was an early generation (dvi and svideo/rca only). The newer ones are really beautiful compared to just about anything in the past (past lcd's and many past plasmas). Even so, the picture itself looked great on the 40 when hooked up the the PC. Standard definition broadcast television looks awful on anything HD though, as everythings blurry. Even on a small 15" LCD monitor, tv recordings look like garbage compared to SD 32" CRT's. The only big thing to keep in mind when purchasing a new tv.

Back