All this cooling fan talk...

Rosbaughcr

WiiChat Member
Apr 14, 2007
Wii Online Code
7466-2556-3307-9977
A lot of topics here in the hardware forum are about cooling fans. The necessity of these fans has been debated, but I was wondering what the ideal temperature is for the room where you keep your Wii. My Wii resides in a room that is generally kept in a room at about 75 degrees Farenheit (too hot for me, but the girlfriend is from Flordia, US). Do I need to bother with a cooling fan for standby mode or is 75 cool enough?

Right now I've got Connect24 off, so the Wii cools down when powered off.

But later on when I need the Connect24 function I'm planning on buying a fan/cooler just to extend the life and not run into any overheating problems...

Many people would say no, you don't need a cooler for the Wii but just like overclocking computers better to be safe than sorry. Plus I don't want to go through all the trouble of sending Nintendo my overheated Wii for a refurbished one...

I overclock almost anything I can overclock, so in theory I do know what I'm talking about. It doesn't hurt the Wii to get an extra cooler for it, but if heat problems arrise say in a year or two you'd be sorry you didn't get one...

It cost 15$ on eBay for coolers, so they're not very expensive but a very good investment. Think of it as an extended warranty for your Wii not provided by Nintendo...

Just some of my thoughts... Coffee anyone?

Cause I'm glued onto Mario Strikers Charged. :lol:

Last edited:
Just make sure you get something reliable that doesn't leech power off of the console. I know the Intercooler has screwed up a lot of 360s, which is why I removed the Intercooler from my 360, and I don't plan on buying any more fans for any of my consoles.

Last edited:
Very good point, how about custom made via AC outlet or just get one of them iPod USB to AC adapters and get a USB one.

So you don't burn out the Wii's powercord...

Last edited:
The GameStop (rebranded Brando) one is only $10 right now. It uses a standard USB connector for power that you plug it onto the Wii or use a USB AC adapter (e.g from you GPS receiver or cell phone). We have to ask the Aussi how the Wii runs in hot summer. It has not been really hot yet in most part of the States or in Europe since the release of Wii. I had the fan off one day and it got a bit warm even just with Connect24. The efficiency of the fan depends not only on the power of the fan but the temperature difference too. At this point, there is no proof or dis-proof on the benefit of using a cooler on Wii. There has been reports that certain modded Wii got hotter and may suggest a need there. Anyway, adding a cooler should not hurt and most heat damages are not reversible. My laptop started to have problem after a year and it just gets worse over time due to overheating and I found out too late. So if you have $10 to spare and you like the blue light, go for it. But I don't think it really worths more than $10.
By the way, you don't have to use USB port to power if you have a universal AC/DC adapter. Just set it to 4.5-6V and plug it in directly. Check also if you have any 5V AC adapter for router or USB hub lying around that use a compatible plug.

Last edited:
I live in Phoenix AZ and May - October it does not get below 100 degrees in that time span for 75% of the day. Never had a problem with my Wii. Connect 24 is always on and the Wii has been fine. I have had the Wii since release date and play 20 hours or so every week.

Back