Alt Costumes?

The Fear

COBRA Unit
Sep 18, 2007
This World...
I hear people saying "this clone should just be an alt-costume!" Some people believe you're saving time or memory...all you're saving is one little character select square...but doesn't creating a new model for the character take the same amount of work and effort to create an alt costume... An alt costume is like a clone...only worse.

Then people say "hey, they could slightly tweak the moves of the alt costumes!". Now that is COMPLETELY equal to a clone...

Clone- a character model with the same moveset as another player, but with different stats.

Why do some people think they are saving time or memory? If it's a simple color-swap...well that's nothing. But if you want Young Link to be an alt of Link, or Pichu to be an alt of Pikachu, or Dr. Mario to be an alt of Mario...well in that case you're getting something worse than a clone. You get character model with EXACTLY the same moveset.

In conclusion, I believe clones > alt costumes

konomaroh said:
Good point.

I never really cared about clones.
Yeah, I would rather the clones be turned in to non-clones, or just removed...but if going to make an "alt costume"...you might as well tweak its moveset and make it a clone. It's not like you're getting way ahead either way.

because it means less characters will be in it

because if they are a clone it well waste character space

pluss its less anoying

bw! said:
because it means less characters will be in it

because if they are a clone it well waste character space

pluss its less anoying
How can less characters be in due to a clone? Less "original" characters will be in, but there will be the same amount of characters. =O

They're not going to take up that much more space than an alt costume. With an alt costume, you have the model, you have the moves, all it takes is a little tweaking of the stats.

And what the heck is this "character space" I keep hearing about?! Is it the amount of space on the character select screen? Come on...we don't even know what it looks like, and they can always make more room. Do you know what the said "character space" is? Is it 40? Is it 50? Is it 140.96? No one knows. They didn't set a limit. They set a goal. At least 40 characters. AT LEAST. They will try to get in as many as they can. If they can get another in, they will. The character limit is x amount. Do we know what x is? No. My guess is that x is nonexistent. The only limit is what they can do, and we don't know how much that is. My guess is that they can do quite a bit.

...I'm going to ignore the "pluss its less anoying" part due to that being an opinion.

sorry but i just dont want the game like in melee were most of the characters that you try realy hard to unlock are just clones it makes me mad.

and costumes will give characters that dont have a chance in brawl to be a costume like boshi can be yoshi's costume because we all know boshi does not have a chance to be in ssbb

yeah i agree with you man, this is what i said in another thread

mushroomedmario said:
yeah but they got all the resources from melee, so why not just add both a lot of new comers and vets, vets won't take that long to code...and clones aren't 100% clones, they all have their differences...there are people better with pichu than they are with everyone else, and yeah they miht be sad that sakurai removed him, but it would have been hardly any effort at all to include pichu in the game, so why not?

The only melee characters that I had a problem with were Pichu, Young Link, and Dr.Mario. Luigi had superior jump and a different move. Ganondorf was so much more powerful than Cpt.Falcon. Falco was quicker and had a flinch blaster. But the others had no significant difference. But alt. costumes would be nice to organize characters, like in DBZBT2.

i would like clones if they had there own moveset :yesnod:

Personally I dont mind the clones. Never did. If thats what it took to squeeze in that extra character then so be it. Its all about the flavor to suit your mood. Take for instance, I never liked Cpt. Falcon. Nothing against his moveset, I just didnt like the char. But I played the hell out of Gannondorf. They know what chars they want, They know how many spaces they wanna fill so does it really hurt that badly if they give a moveset a different paintjob? Someone out there will probably appreciate it. Otherwise it might just be a space they could have filled but didnt have the time.

As far as the thread goes. Alternate costumes are cool as long as it is just a costume, Not a complete model overhaul IE: Changing size or complete function of your char. Cause then it wouldnt be a costume it would be another char.

Last edited:
Gah, Clones clones clones... Well there was quite a dif in SSBM with Roy and Marth but the only thing was the "B up" and the "Charge sword hold" was the only dif, But i guess it made that much of a difference of adding that one more character, and i think Clones arent a bad idea, It just depends on what you do with the clone, I Acutally kind of like the idea of Cap'n falcon and Ganon having the same move set, It was just that more much of a chalange, And that its like a battle of the two rivals who have the same fighting skills.. So in the end its a never ending fun battle :D.. But as long as i get more characters im fine with only having a set of only 1 CLONE, Not 4-5 characters with the same move..

Also, I want to see some costumes in Strikers (charged) into SSBB i would love to see Yoshi's costume in SSBB from Strikers (charged)

bw! said:
sorry but i just dont want the game like in melee were most of the characters that you try realy hard to unlock are just clones it makes me mad.

and costumes will give characters that dont have a chance in brawl to be a costume like boshi can be yoshi's costume because we all know boshi does not have a chance to be in ssbb
Well...Boshi seems like a more plausible costume. What would have to do? Give Yoshi shades, spiky bracelets, and different spikes and you're done? Boshi would seem more like a Peach-Daisy alt costume. Change a few colors and make MINOR changes to his costume (like how they changed Peach's earrings and symbol on her shirt.) However, these kind of color swaps don't make the character perfect, but it could make it fairly similiar without having to make an entirely new model.

Some people just take the idea of alt costumes too far...like "Falco should be an alt of Fox!" "Blaziken should be an alt of Charizard!" "Pichu should be an alt of Pikachu!" If you already have a character model that is 100% distinct from another character...make it its own character! You already have a good start!

One of the few alt costumes I can see is Pokemon Trainer. I don't think it's outrageous to have Red switched to Leaf/Fire, or Dawn, or whoever you want it to switch to. They obviously aren't going to have to worry about alternate movesets...since all they do is command the Pokemon.

Otherwise, color-swap similarity characters are good for me. Full-fledged alt costumes would make me feel cheated.

Back